Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shark

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on July 29, 2020, 11:24:36 AM
Quote from: shark on July 29, 2020, 10:40:34 AM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on July 28, 2020, 04:06:53 PM
The average wage for a premier league player is £60,000 a week, don't think Lingard will have an issue finding someone to pay him £100,000 a week.

if Palace sell Zaha then I can see him ending up there or even at Villa or West Ham.

The average wage outside the top 6-8 teams is nowhere close to £60k a week. None of those teams top 8 will be interested in Lingard. The top earner at Villa is on £42k per week - never mind the average earner. Lingard would get about £30k per week at a bottom half Premier League team. And it would drop by at least 30% if they were relegated.

Alexander Mitrovic at Fulham in the Championship is on 68k a week.

Which is great news for him, but doesn't change the fact that the average wages at bottom half Premier League clubs is much lower. But a soon to be 28 year old Jesse Lingard, who has hardly played football in 2 year, isn't going to get that off Fulham. Any club that takes him on will be doing so for a minimum of a 3 year contract. If he was the exact same player, but 3 or 4 years younger it might be a different story.

shark

Quote from: thewobbler on July 29, 2020, 11:17:21 AM
The average wage for a premier league player is £60,000 a week, don't think Lingard will have an issue finding someone to pay him £100,000 a week.

if Palace sell Zaha then I can see him ending up there or even at Villa or West Ham.

The average wage outside the top 6-8 teams is nowhere close to £60k a week. None of those teams top 8 will be interested in Lingard. The top earner at Villa is on £42k per week - never mind the average earner. Lingard would get about £30k per week at a bottom half Premier League team. And it would drop by at least 30% if they were relegated.

You seem very sure of your numbers. There's at least a dozen clubs in England with players on £100k a week, and plenty of England cast offs like Deeney, Wilshire, Ings, Walcott in or around that figure.

I don't think too many of them though would be in a rush to make Lingard one of their top earners, even without a transfer fee.

I'm sure of the Villa numbers only. And they were quoted above as an example of a team who might buy him. Average at Villa is about £30k a week (highest is Heaton at £42k). I expect that to rise now that a second season in the Premier League is confirmed - but not double!

bigarsedkeeper

Quote from: Ed Ricketts on July 29, 2020, 11:48:18 AM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on July 28, 2020, 03:02:12 PM
Quote from: Ed Ricketts on July 28, 2020, 02:15:10 PM
Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on July 28, 2020, 01:18:35 PM
Is Lingard not on crazy money tho? Ie he'd get nowhere near it if he did move..

His contract is up next summer, that should be the main concern for him and his agent. Especially as his next deal will likely be the last big one of his career.

He either goes and gets that next contract now, or he does so after another 12 months of benchwarming. I'd be jumping now, the way things have been shaping up for him.

Why would you leave now on 100k a week for another 12 months. If he leaves next year, at 28, English and as a free agent? He's going to get at least 150k a week somewhere else or alternatively a big lump sum sign on to keep the wage down.

The only reason for him to move right now is if he harbours any England ambitions.

150k?! You could be his agent with spin like that.

He got £100k a week from Man Utd when he was a 24 year old international regular on an upward career trajectory.

His actual agent will be a miracle worker to get a better contract from Crystal Palace or Villa for a 28 year old ex-international who has spent the previous two seasons benchwarming (in between absolutely dreadful cameo appearances). That's not even to mention Lingard's well publicised off the field issues, and the financial reality of the post COVID football world.

The further we get from his career peak of 2018, the lower the value of Lingard's next contract. If I were him I'd be trying to nail down a three or four year gig somewhere else as soon as possible.

His actual agent is Riola so god knows

OgraAnDun

Quote from: bigarsedkeeper on July 29, 2020, 01:15:29 PM
Quote from: Ed Ricketts on July 29, 2020, 11:48:18 AM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on July 28, 2020, 03:02:12 PM
Quote from: Ed Ricketts on July 28, 2020, 02:15:10 PM
Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on July 28, 2020, 01:18:35 PM
Is Lingard not on crazy money tho? Ie he'd get nowhere near it if he did move..

His contract is up next summer, that should be the main concern for him and his agent. Especially as his next deal will likely be the last big one of his career.

He either goes and gets that next contract now, or he does so after another 12 months of benchwarming. I'd be jumping now, the way things have been shaping up for him.

Why would you leave now on 100k a week for another 12 months. If he leaves next year, at 28, English and as a free agent? He's going to get at least 150k a week somewhere else or alternatively a big lump sum sign on to keep the wage down.

The only reason for him to move right now is if he harbours any England ambitions.

150k?! You could be his agent with spin like that.

He got £100k a week from Man Utd when he was a 24 year old international regular on an upward career trajectory.

His actual agent will be a miracle worker to get a better contract from Crystal Palace or Villa for a 28 year old ex-international who has spent the previous two seasons benchwarming (in between absolutely dreadful cameo appearances). That's not even to mention Lingard's well publicised off the field issues, and the financial reality of the post COVID football world.

The further we get from his career peak of 2018, the lower the value of Lingard's next contract. If I were him I'd be trying to nail down a three or four year gig somewhere else as soon as possible.

His actual agent is Riola so god knows

Who he switched to during the year. If anyone is going to squeeze a club dry, it's Mino Raiola.

GetOverTheBar

Raiola also a fan of the old pals act....you take X off my hands, I'll deliver you Y.....

Maroon Manc

Quote from: shark on July 29, 2020, 12:36:34 PM

You seem very sure of your numbers. There's at least a dozen clubs in England with players on £100k a week, and plenty of England cast offs like Deeney, Wilshire, Ings, Walcott in or around that figure.

I don't think too many of them though would be in a rush to make Lingard one of their top earners, even without a transfer fee.

I'm sure of the Villa numbers only. And they were quoted above as an example of a team who might buy him. Average at Villa is about £30k a week (highest is Heaton at £42k). I expect that to rise now that a second season in the Premier League is confirmed - but not double!

How sure are you and why because based on the evidence it looks like you're mistaken?

A quick look tells me Villa's wage bill in the championship was £83m so I suspect you're way off the mark suggesting there top earner is on £2.2m a season. That wage bill will have increased a fair bit since they were promoted and will be over £100m for the 19/20 season.

Crystal Palace have a wage bill of £119m, Bournemouth's is £110m, Wst Ham's is £135m and Brighton's is £100m. £60,000 a week is just over 3 million a season so its very clear that there are plenty of players towards the bottom of the table who are paid around £100,000 a week.

shark

Quote from: Maroon Manc on July 29, 2020, 01:52:38 PM
Quote from: shark on July 29, 2020, 12:36:34 PM

How sure are you and why because based on the evidence it looks like you're mistaken?

A quick look tells me Villa's wage bill in the championship was £83m so I suspect you're way off the mark suggesting there top earner is on £2.2m a season. That wage bill will have increased a fair bit since they were promoted and will be over £100m for the 19/20 season.

Crystal Palace have a wage bill of £119m, Bournemouth's is £110m, West Ham's is £135m and Brighton's is £100m. £60,000 a week is just over 3 million a season so its very clear that there are plenty of players towards the bottom of the table who are paid around £100,000 a week.

My cousin work at the club - so taking it on his word. However, he doesn't work in their finance department. Total wage bill is just shy of £100m (and significantly higher than revenue), so you're not far off the mark.

Clubs wage bill will include a lot more than the first team squad's basic salaries. Villa employ more than 500 people in total. Management, Executives, Support Staff, Youth team all included in that figure. Plus bonuses, which can be steep I gather. Also employers PRSI must be about 9 or 10% of that.

Anyway, I realise I've hijacked the thread here. Apologies  ;D

Helix.

See Jermaine Jenas mentioning Jan Vertonghen on a free transfer would he be be a good fit at Old Trafford. Surely would be a step up to Smalling and Jones as cover for Lindelof and Maguire.

NAG1

Quote from: Helix. on July 29, 2020, 02:49:24 PM
See Jermaine Jenas mentioning Jan Vertonghen on a free transfer would he be be a good fit at Old Trafford. Surely would be a step up to Smalling and Jones as cover for Lindelof and Maguire.

That would have been the type of move that JM would have gone for.
I think they have moved away from that strategy. I think he is a decent player and could be an improvement on what is there as back up, but he is not the type of player to help bridge the gap and I think that is the type of player that Ole and the club will be looking for.

thewobbler

Vertonghen is leaving Spurs because his legs have gone.

Awful shame and amazing to think how good he was 18 months ago.

GJL

Sancho deal seems to be gathering pace. Looks like a very exciting young winger. Would be a great addition but how will it effect Greenwood's development?

maldini

Another £100m+ found for a transfer
Woodward and the Glazers dont support managers though

Milltown Row2

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Cunny Funt

Sanchez loan deal to inter to become permanent. No transfer fee but the burden of paying 400k a week for such a flop is no more.

Dortmund know they are dealing with a clueless Woodward and will likely get 20 to 30m more than Sancho is worth. Its money that would normally go into the Glazers pocket so who cares if the fee is inflated so long as he delivers in the manner that Bruno has.

GJL

Quote from: Cunny Funt on August 03, 2020, 09:18:46 PM
Sanchez loan deal to inter to become permanent. No transfer fee but the burden of paying 400k a week for such a flop is no more.

Dortmund know they are dealing with a clueless Woodward and will likely get 20 to 30m more than Sancho is worth. Its money that would normally go into the Glazers pocket so who cares if the fee is inflated so long as he delivers in the manner that Bruno has.

This is exactly why I can't understand why Utd supporters get into conversations about player prices. I couldn't give a fcuk if he costs £300m.