Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thewobbler

I'd have thought last year that Lingard was destined for Everton ie the type of club that has enough cash to buy Alex Iwobi for £35m, but not enough sense to know better.

Now I'm not so sure where he can go, especially if looking to command anything approaching the wages discussed above. It's one thing taking a risk that a manager can get a player going again, when he has the incentive of wage increases to look for. It's another thing entirely hoping his curve can be fixed when he has somehow already managed to exceed his earnings potential, and already played for the biggest club in the world, and in a World Cup finals. And that before Covid's impact on club income is calculated into things.

Joe Hart is the poster boy for this. He squeezed a few more well paid years in. Those who follow his descent really shouldn't be so fortunate.

Maroon Manc

The average wage for a premier league player is £60,000 a week, don't think Lingard will have an issue finding someone to pay him £100,000 a week.

if Palace sell Zaha then I can see him ending up there or even at Villa or West Ham.

magpie seanie

I've been stunned in recent weeks at how bad Lingard has been. and that was from a position of expecting very little. He has been awful but in the last few appearances it's been beyond than. I forgot he was on the pitch until Schmeichel's error at the end the other day.

imtommygunn

There was a paddy power thing going where some boy had put a bet on lingard to get no goals or assists all season and they had actually paid out. I haven't seen the weekend games but assume the mistake Schmeichel made led to something for him?

Reminds me of Pickford. Got a wee bit of a name and a wee bit of money and it got to his head.

rodney trotter

The fee quoted for Sancho seems way too much, over 100m.
He'd still 20, so lots to prove. He looks a good player, though Havertz who is reportedly joining Chelsea looks better.

Sancho could be another of these English players who burst onto the scene like Walcott and fade. Hopefully not.

thewobbler

I'd generally agree with you Rodney but I'm not sure if Walcott ever really burst into the scene. A career on the periphery of a good side then one on the kind of periphery of a poor one.

nrico2006

Quote from: rodney trotter on July 28, 2020, 09:14:41 PM
The fee quoted for Sancho seems way too much, over 100m.
He'd still 20, so lots to prove. He looks a good player, though Havertz who is reportedly joining Chelsea looks better.

Sancho could be another of these English players who burst onto the scene like Walcott and fade. Hopefully not.

Dunno about Havertz looking better.  Sancho has more goals and assists than him and is a few years younger too.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

rodney trotter

Quote from: thewobbler on July 28, 2020, 09:24:49 PM
I'd generally agree with you Rodney but I'm not sure if Walcott ever really burst into the scene. A career on the periphery of a good side then one on the kind of periphery of a poor one.

He was named in the England squad for the World Cup at 17. There was a lot of hype around him for a period, though many said it was too much to soon, as he hadn't made an appearance for Arsenal. .     
He was left out of the squad in  2010 for wcm

Interesting that City aren't in for City after letting him go. Or maybe embarrassed to pay a high amount after letting him go, ala Pogba

shark

Quote from: Maroon Manc on July 28, 2020, 04:06:53 PM
The average wage for a premier league player is £60,000 a week, don't think Lingard will have an issue finding someone to pay him £100,000 a week.

if Palace sell Zaha then I can see him ending up there or even at Villa or West Ham.

The average wage outside the top 6-8 teams is nowhere close to £60k a week. None of those teams top 8 will be interested in Lingard. The top earner at Villa is on £42k per week - never mind the average earner. Lingard would get about £30k per week at a bottom half Premier League team. And it would drop by at least 30% if they were relegated.

thewobbler

Quote from: shark on July 29, 2020, 10:40:34 AM

The average wage outside the top 6-8 teams is nowhere close to £60k a week. None of those teams top 8 will be interested in Lingard. The top earner at Villa is on £42k per week - never mind the average earner. Lingard would get about £30k per week at a bottom half Premier League team. And it would drop by at least 30% if they were relegated.

You seem very sure of your numbers. There's at least a dozen clubs in England with players on £100k a week, and plenty of England cast offs like Deeney, Wilshire, Ings, Walcott in or around that figure.

I don't think too many of them though would be in a rush to make Lingard one of their top earners, even without a transfer fee.

GetOverTheBar

Alexander Mitrovic at Fulham in the Championship is on 68k a week.

Ed Ricketts

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on July 28, 2020, 03:02:12 PM
Quote from: Ed Ricketts on July 28, 2020, 02:15:10 PM
Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on July 28, 2020, 01:18:35 PM
Is Lingard not on crazy money tho? Ie he'd get nowhere near it if he did move..

His contract is up next summer, that should be the main concern for him and his agent. Especially as his next deal will likely be the last big one of his career.

He either goes and gets that next contract now, or he does so after another 12 months of benchwarming. I'd be jumping now, the way things have been shaping up for him.

Why would you leave now on 100k a week for another 12 months. If he leaves next year, at 28, English and as a free agent? He's going to get at least 150k a week somewhere else or alternatively a big lump sum sign on to keep the wage down.

The only reason for him to move right now is if he harbours any England ambitions.

150k?! You could be his agent with spin like that.

He got £100k a week from Man Utd when he was a 24 year old international regular on an upward career trajectory.

His actual agent will be a miracle worker to get a better contract from Crystal Palace or Villa for a 28 year old ex-international who has spent the previous two seasons benchwarming (in between absolutely dreadful cameo appearances). That's not even to mention Lingard's well publicised off the field issues, and the financial reality of the post COVID football world.

The further we get from his career peak of 2018, the lower the value of Lingard's next contract. If I were him I'd be trying to nail down a three or four year gig somewhere else as soon as possible.
Doc would listen to any kind of nonsense and change it for you to a kind of wisdom.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Ed Ricketts on July 29, 2020, 11:48:18 AM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on July 28, 2020, 03:02:12 PM
Quote from: Ed Ricketts on July 28, 2020, 02:15:10 PM
Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on July 28, 2020, 01:18:35 PM
Is Lingard not on crazy money tho? Ie he'd get nowhere near it if he did move..

His contract is up next summer, that should be the main concern for him and his agent. Especially as his next deal will likely be the last big one of his career.

He either goes and gets that next contract now, or he does so after another 12 months of benchwarming. I'd be jumping now, the way things have been shaping up for him.

Why would you leave now on 100k a week for another 12 months. If he leaves next year, at 28, English and as a free agent? He's going to get at least 150k a week somewhere else or alternatively a big lump sum sign on to keep the wage down.

The only reason for him to move right now is if he harbours any England ambitions.

150k?! You could be his agent with spin like that.

He got £100k a week from Man Utd when he was a 24 year old international regular on an upward career trajectory.

His actual agent will be a miracle worker to get a better contract from Crystal Palace or Villa for a 28 year old ex-international who has spent the previous two seasons benchwarming (in between absolutely dreadful cameo appearances). That's not even to mention Lingard's well publicised off the field issues, and the financial reality of the post COVID football world.

The further we get from his career peak of 2018, the lower the value of Lingard's next contract. If I were him I'd be trying to nail down a three or four year gig somewhere else as soon as possible.

Story of football, you will always get someone willing to take a risk.

If there is no fee involved, that pushes the wage up hugely - look at Aaron Ramsey on a lovely 400k a week at Juve on the back of a free.

He'll get it, because you'll always get some team panics.....Is he worth it? No, could he command it? It's not beyond the realms of possibility, you just need to get the team that needs to fill the hole the most.

Ed Ricketts

Nah, sorry. Football is nuts, but not give Jesse Lingard a £50k a week pay rise after three years of being shit nuts.
Doc would listen to any kind of nonsense and change it for you to a kind of wisdom.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on July 29, 2020, 11:24:36 AM

Alexander Mitrovic at Fulham in the Championship is on 68k a week.

The Fulham owner Shahid Khan has money to burn as seen with his recent venture into America wrestling to compete with billionaire Vince McMahon.

On Lingard on his Instagram he apparently gave a big hint that he's staying on with United for another season. Ole needs to do as he did with Young, Fellaini etc and say thanks for your commitment but now is the time to move.

United need to ship out at less 4 or 5 players this summer and 3 or 4 brought in. With Woodward over the deals 2 or 3 out and 1 signing is more likely..