Mayo Football and Hurling - Discussion pages

Started by stephenite, November 09, 2006, 11:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barney

Ros I'm in no way prejudiced against Gardiner. I just feel that we need something different right now. Last 30 minutes I can think of no better man to bring on when a game has opened up and let him run at the defence. Mind you he needs to work on his shooting - whether it is lack of ability or lack of confidence he needs to sharpen up when he gets inside 30 yards.

Cafferkey and Navin have not been exposed. But they are good prospects and deserve a chance. it will probably be too soon for Cafferkey though admittedley. The same players are not going to improve the situation so something different must be tried.

stephenite

Cannot see Brady being deployed in any defensive position as a long term option. Would hope that the injury problems that plagued him last season will stay away and give him a good run in Centrefield for the FBD and League. The other option is to use him in a Donaghy type role in FF, something he did quite well for the club towards the end of this season.
With Tommy Lyons and Johnno involved I would hope to see Martin Wynne getting in the FBD to see if he can step up, superbly talented defender who kept Parkinson in his pocket in Croker.
The rush by some to find an answer for Donaghy is bit rash in my view, while I could be wrong, he is only one player. While there is no harm having an solution in reserve, worked on in training, the like of DB could well be destroyed by the more conventional FF, Joyce or Meehan spring to mind. It's horses for courses and each game will demand a different strategy, still can't shake the feeling that Donaghy could be a one season wonder

stephenite

Quote from: AbbeySider on December 18, 2006, 02:37:05 PM

The other player id worry about is McGaritty who in my eyes has let us down twice on the big day. If he left down the basketball and concentrated on GAA and getting bulkier he could be outstanding.

People said the same thing about Liam McHale for years! McGarrity has been pretty consistent in letting everyone know that BB is his first love, if he was forced to choose I think Gaelic Football would be the loser. Peopke will say good riddance if he isn't prepared to give 100% but he's not a professional GAA player and said people would be against paying lads also.

Mayo4Sam

QuoteWith Tommy Lyons and Johnno involved I would hope to see Martin Wynne getting in the FBD to see if he can step up, superbly talented defender who kept Parkinson in his pocket in Croker

Cant see Guns changing his ways
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

rosnarun

while agreeing very much that gardiners shooting need overhauling for me not to have him on the team is unthinkable . his runs from deep and support play are one of the main reason (CMD apert) for crossmolina recent dominance and much of what is good about this mayo team.
i didn't say those lads were exposed i said just becuse they havent been exposed yet don't make them any good and i have yet to see anything to suggest they are anywhere near as good as what we already have. IO know we all have blind spots regarding certain players but  A team that lloses an all-ireland final should be Fine tuned not over hauled
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

highorlow

Clarke

Kilcullen             Harte            Higgins

A.Higgins           Heany           Gardiner

Kilcullen  MacGarrity

Dillion                Brady      A.Moran

MacDonald       Benson        Regan

Maybe for the FBD?
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

guy crouchback

i see the plans for the devolopment of mc hale park are in the western people. not much to it. a new all seater stand replacing the existing stand and some new concrete seating  added on at one end.

AbbeySider

Answer me this:

Did Benson even get the call up?

Did Kilcullen even get the call up?

Did Pat Harte ever play at full-back? Did he ever play in the defence?

With 49 clubs in the county (not including B teams) there should be 49 players battling for the position of full back.

Why are people suggesting putting Barry Moran and Pat Harte in at full back??

Tubberman

No mention of the co board offices and underground museum? Does the new stand run the full length of the pitch or just the same section as the current stand?
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Barney

In fairness Abbeysider you should know there are two Kilcullens - David (who is a centre half back) or James who played midfield in the 2005 league games against Dublin and Donegal.

AbbeySider

To quote myself:

Quote from: AbeySiderHOW THE HELL CAN KILCULLEN PLAY CORNER BACK AND MID-FIELD ? ? ?

Quote from: Barney on December 19, 2006, 03:31:02 PM
In fairness Abbeysider you should know there are two Kilcullens - David (who is a centre half back) or James who played midfield in the 2005 league games against Dublin and Donegal.

Well said... I was thinking something was wrong. David and James Kilcullen. At first glance I thought he was naming the same player.
My Apologies

:-[

But I dont think either Kilcullens have been drafted in yet?

guy crouchback

QuotePosted by: Tubberman
Insert Quote
No mention of the co board offices and underground museum? Does the new stand run the full length of the pitch or just the same section as the current stand?

the new stand is running the whole lenght of the pitch.

Tubberman

JOM is not happy! Totally understandably in my opinion. Banishing the selectors to the stands is completely nonsensacle

Unwelcome rule changes attract ire of managers

WHEN thirty inter-county Managers, from every corner of the country, travel to Mullingar the Sunday before Christmas to voice their opinions about the proposed new Hurling and Football match regulations for 2007, there is little need to articulate that feelings are running very high. These proposed regulations are the latest of a pattern of pronouncements from GAA headquarters since last Easter's congress that seem to be all pointing the finger at the management bench for the ills of our games.

Managers were being blamed for, among other things, holding up club fixtures and burning out players with too much training along with needless challenge matches. However, it reached a new low last weekend when GAA headquarters' response to indiscipline on the field was to ban team managers to the dugout and expel selectors to the stands along with the supporters for the duration of the Allianz leagues. How crazy can it get?

Now let me state from the outset that I have no problem with rules and regulations on big match days. They are necessary for the proper presentation of our games. In that context, the idea of deploying a runner to get messages to the players is welcomed. Also, there needed to be some tightening of the water carriers - although it is unreasonable to expect players to have to come out to the sideline for water. I thought we wanted to speed up our games!

Will someone please tell me how keeping a team manager in the dugout and the selectors in the stands will solve the discipline problem on the field? The most high profile brawl in 2006 occurred in the league game in Omagh between Tyrone and Dublin. My memory of that incident is that the team mentors were trying to calm things down as is the case with the vast majority of managers and selectors. It is part and parcel of our Gaelic Games to have the Mick O'D-wyers, Paidi O Se, Ger Loughnane or John Maughan gesticulating to their teams as they parade up and down the line. Supporters see this as an essential part of the entertainment value in Gaelic Games.

Whatever about the manager being confined to the dugout, it is simply unworkable to ban the selectors to the stands. First of all, while the idea a few years ago of sending the substitutes to the stands during the game was a good one, it has not worked because the players in most cases are simply in the middle of the supporters. This can lead to all sorts of problems. For example, last year in the All-Ireland semi-final, Ciaran McKeever of Armagh was attacked by a Tyrone supporter as he returned to the stand after being sent off.

You could imagine a couple of selectors sitting next to infuriated supporters if things are going wrong for their team on the pitch. Not only will it not solve indiscipline on the field but it could cause an outbreak of it in the stand!

There has been the suggestion that the new rules came after wide consultation with county boards and team managers but this hasn't been the case with any of the team bosses I have spoken with. Sean Kelly did meet Team Mangers a few years ago to discuss matters of mutual interest with Croke Park but obviously that isn't the route being followed now. It will be interesting therefore to see what comes as a result of the meeting of inter-county managers that took place in Mullingar last Sunday evening.

The match regulation debate has certainly given the GAA plenty of coverage over the last week at the normally quiet time of the season. Last weekend's Central Council meeting dealt with the future of the International Rules Series but with the decision on that well-flagged in advance, the postponement of next year's trip down under wasn't a great shock to anybody.

However, like a bolt out of the blue and slipped in without any fanfare, were the match regulations. The follow up during the week with a dictatorial approach from on high will be an interesting side-show in the coming months. About ten years ago the players were being told to play their games and then keep their mouths shut. We all know what that led to. Ten years on, one wonders have any lessons been learned.

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

AbbeySider

QuoteStudents to provide first test for O'Mahony
20 December 2006

John O'Mahony's second coming as Mayo football boss will officially begin on January 17 when his new charges face Sligo IT in a floodlit Connacht FBD League clash at Ballindine.

Mayo will be in action again four days later when they meet Roscommon in the same competition at Ballyhaunis. The Connacht League gets underway on January 7 when Roscommon meet Sligo IT at Elphin, Sligo host Galway at Tubbercurry and GMIT face Leitrim at Pearse Stadium.

The home final takes place on February 18 with the winners travelling to either New York or Boston for the away final on October 7.

Meanwhile, the Connacht Senior Hurling League gets underway on January 13. The teams taking part are Sligo, Leitrim, Roscommon, Mayo, Sligo IT, GMIT, NUIG and the Galway development squad.

New Galway hurling boss Ger Loughnane will have his first outing with the development squad when they take on Roscommon in Ballinasloe on January 13.

From the hogan stand. Im too hungover to comment  :'(

Mayo4Sam

Maughan has a similiar article in the mayo advertiser
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me