Hidden gems in Ireland / Places to stay in Ireland

Started by qwerty123, July 26, 2016, 08:20:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

qwerty123

Has anyone got any good ideas of places to stay in Ireland? Places to catch great scenery or an active type of holiday with hikes etc? Hoping to go for a few days near the end of August.

Also any good ideas for places to stay for New Years Eve - somewhere in Ireland would be great or a reasonably-priced foreign location!

Hidden gems in Ireland would be great...maybe even enough for a whole thread of its own?!

Harold Disgracey

Gougane Barra in west Cork, a lovely family run hotel situated right beside a forest park.

http://m.gouganebarrahotel.com

macdanger2

Thinking about taking a few days off at the end of the week and hoping to rent somewhere by the beach close enough to Dublin - between say Down and Wexford. Anyone got any recommendations?

thewobbler

Quote from: macdanger2 on June 25, 2018, 08:52:18 PM
Thinking about taking a few days off at the end of the week and hoping to rent somewhere by the beach close enough to Dublin - between say Down and Wexford. Anyone got any recommendations?

I was very taken by Dunmore East a few years ago.

mrdeeds

Carlingford although midweek, not weekend.

AZOffaly

Quote from: thewobbler on June 25, 2018, 09:30:56 PM

I was very taken by Dunmore East a few years ago.

A beautiful spot. Might be a bit far?

Orior

If you want to be on your own, then try the Armagh thread on GAA Board.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

magpie seanie

Roundstone in County Galway. Especially if the weather is like this. Just fantastic.

manfromdelmonte

Inis Oirr, Galway
Beautiful beach, three pubs they all serve food and a few b&bs. Nice casual walks around the island
Park car in doolin, get ferry over
Stay in the Burren on the way back and get some hikes in.

Syferus

Almost anywhere outside the big tourist towns in Donegal. I'm partial to Ardara myself, which is a great spot when any of the seemingly 20 festivals they have are on.

Insane Bolt

Last time I was home neither Galway or Donegal were between Down and Wexford😳

spuds

Not by the sea but Graiguenamanagh is a hidden gem. The Barrow walk/cycle riverside to St. Mullins is special with added incentive of the cafe bar at your destination. Graiguenamanagh itself has plenty of nice pubs and a few foodie spots.

They have river swimming and boards to dive in. This weather the place is magical.
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard