Division 2 Football

Rossa  - - Mc Dermotts   Not Played 
Glenravel  1-11 0-11 St. Endas   
Rasharkin  3-12 1-11 Aghagallon   
Davitts  - - Sarsfields   Not Played 
St. Brigids B 1-16 1-14 All Saints     

NICSSA

League table for Division 1 Football
Team   Played   Won   Lost   Drawn   Points For    Against   Points Diff   Points

Cargin    12   11   1   0   193   109   84   22
St. Galls    12   9   3   0   195   127   68   18
Creggan    10   7   1   2   154   115   39   16
St. Pauls    13   7   4   2   161   166   -5   16
P'one    11   6   5   0   158   131   27   12
St. Johns    13   5   7   1   148   191   -43   11
Mon'glass    13   4   9   0   183   186   -3   8
GortMona    13   3   9   1   163   207   -44   7
L Dhearg    12   2   8   2   144   196   -52   6
Dunloy    11   2   9   0   137   208   -71   4

League table for Division 2 Football
Team   Played   Won   Lost   Drawn   Points For Against   Points Diff   Points

St. Brigids   12   10   1   1   191   123   68   21
Rasharkin    12   9   2   1   187   132   55   19
All Saints    12   6   4   2   167   153   14   14
St. Endas    12   6   5   1   159   132   27   13
Aghagallon    12   5   5   2   154   148   6   12
Glenravel    11   5   4   2   126   123   3   12
Rossa    11   4   6   1   129   130   -1   9
Sarsfields    11   3   7   1   114   149   -35   7
Davitts    10   3   6   1   115   155   -40   7
Mc Derms    11   0   11   0   87   184   -97   0

milltown row

think Dunloy have been shafted by our senior football team by not putting in a full team against lamhs last week, normaly we would have stuffed them but by not playing all our players we have made it really difficult for them staying up.

i hope when we play Dunloy we dont put out a full strength team

saffron sam2

Quote from: milltown row on September 06, 2007, 08:48:32 AM
think Dunloy have been shafted by our senior football team by not putting in a full team against lamhs last week, normaly we would have stuffed them but by not playing all our players we have made it really difficult for them staying up.

i hope when we play Dunloy we dont put out a full strength team

Did you field a weakened side because your club is feeling a wee bit bad that they are trying to persuade a high profile Lamh Dhearg forward to join St. Gall's for next season?

An absolute disgrace that such a transfer is even being considered and scandalous if it does go through.  Shame on St. Gall's, but totally indictative of the mindset of Antrim GAA and further evidnece that there is so much wrong within our county.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

imtommygunn

What's the story with relegation?

One down and one playoff with second from the lower league?

McDermotts obviously to get chopped in division 2 but there could be a few more spots to play for.

Second bottom spot could be interesting in division 1 too.

Very cynical view Sam. Do you know for sure that your man is transferring to Galls or you just basing things on hearsay?

Balboa

Quote from: imtommygunn on September 06, 2007, 11:28:56 AM
What's the story with relegation?

One down and one playoff with second from the lower league?

McDermotts obviously to get chopped in division 2 but there could be a few more spots to play for.

Second bottom spot could be interesting in division 1 too.

Very cynical view Sam. Do you know for sure that your man is transferring to Galls or you just basing things on hearsay?

Is it not the worst kept secret about that Cunningham is going to St Galls?

milltown row

Paddy Cuningham is NOT coming to Naomh Gall thats for sure.

saffron i'm afraid your talking shite. so what your saying is players should never leave their clubs?

so if you fell out with the majority of team mates and feel as if you have no future in the club, that he would be better off not playing????????????

and it's the county boards fault, ha, brill

it's a good thing your not holding the reins

saffron sam2

Quote from: milltown row on September 06, 2007, 12:33:13 PM
Paddy Cuningham is NOT coming to Naomh Gall thats for sure.

Good and that is how it should be, although there is no doubt that he would have been welcomed at Milltown.  I believe the proposed transfer package of two days a week subbing in La Salle, the choice of any three outfits from Sean McGourty's wardrobe and a new pair of boots with "Paddy Hands" embroidered on them was just not tempting enough.

saffron i'm afraid your talking shite. so what your saying is players should never leave their clubs?
Leaving aside your inability to use the apostrophe, it is quite clear that you're trying to misquote me.  I am not saying players shouldn't leave clubs; I am saying that players shouldn't leave their club in the circumstances of this case. Nor should they leave a small club to go to a bigger one.

so if you fell out with the majority of team mates and feel as if you have no future in the club, that he would be better off not playing????????????
If you knew Cunningham, you would know that it is practically impossible to fall out with him.  His mother's family have always been a Lamh Dhearg family.  The issue at hand should have been dealt with internally by LD with no need for talk of transfers. The fact that your club jumped in straight away is concerning.  I have never mentioned him not playing.  He can play away with his own club when they sort the issue out.

and it's the county boards fault, ha, brill
It is indeed.  Few (if any) other county boards would allow the number of inter-club transfers that Antrim do. Certainly this transfer wouldn't have been considered in either Down or Derry. Can you get figures for the number of inter-club transfers in each county?  Would back my point up very well I think.  Transfers are granted at the drop of a hat in Antrim and if players can demonstrate such a lack of loyalty (because of a fall-out or ambitions of playing football at a higher level), what chance is there of loyalty to their county. Should the Logans have been allowed to transfer to Ballymena, Sheeny McQuillan to Glenravel (and back a year later), Anto Finnegan , the two Glenavy boys, the Drake brothers, Aaron Thompson, Adrian Craig etc.?  Is there another county in Ireland where an under-21 goalkeeper can be on his third club, because he has fallen out with the previous two? As a counter example, did Ciaran Gourley or Philip Loughran move from small clubs to further their ambitions.

This a problem that is specific (certainly in my experience) to GAA in Antrim and since they are tasked with running the games in Antrim, of course it is the county board's fault.

it's a good thing your not holding the reins
A good thing for St.Gall's indeed, as their aggressive approach to transfers would certainly be curtailed.

Glensman

Dunloy looked doomed to failure and it could very well be because of St Galls sending a strong outfit to Castlewellan 7s. Pretty bad if so. Not necessarily completely St Galls fault, but I do hope they field the same team v Dunloy.

Who are you Saffron Sam to make such an objective call on what, in each instance in my opinion, should be looked at subjectively.
Clearly there was some fall out between the Logans and Ahoghill that made it impossible for them to stay on...sure they not be allowed to play football or have to leave the county.

Paddy Cunningham would certianly be a high profile transfer indeed, but due to what has been said on here it appears he is not going.

I heard a rumour that Michael Magill was headed for Cargin...any truth in that or has it become silly season in the transfer market with the season not over yet?

milltown row

two days at La Salle? pants

i didnt know it was a spelling contest

smaller club? Lamhs have been in a couple of county finals lately, they are also a div 1 hurling team as well

if you know him so well then you would know that he  was not coming anyway

what facts and figures have you got to back up your opinion on other counties views on people transfering to other clubs?

what thirds goalkeeper are you talking about? i played last night and we had the sub goalkeeper from the all ireland team playing.

if i spelt or wrote something wrong i'm sorry...............nobhead

Maximus Marillius

Perhaps i can help....to get a transfer in Derry to another club...is like getting blood from a stone

saffron sam2

Quote from: milltown row on September 06, 2007, 03:01:48 PM
two days at La Salle? pants
I try to introduce a bit of levity into a serious topic and this is the thanks I get.  I take it then that you believed the bit about McGourty's wardrobe and embroidered boots?

i didnt know it was a spelling contest
It isn't, but a wise man on this board once quoted, I think, Flann O'Brien who said "A man who can misplace an apostrophe is capable of anything".  Always good to know the type of person you're dealing with.

smaller club? Lamhs have been in a couple of county finals lately, they are also a div 1 hurling team as well
I didn't mean LD specifically. The point I was making that the two main reasons for transfers in Antrim seem to be because of fall outs and ambition to play at a higher level. But, since you have brought it up, there can be no doubt that by moving from LD to St Gall's, any player would significantly improve their chances of winning multiple county titles.

I can think of myriad transfers within Antrim that prove my point:
Ciaran O'Grady - Eire Og (small club) to Naomh Gall (bigger club)
Aaron Thompson - St Agnes (small club) to Naomh Gall (bigger club)
Billy & John Drake - Lisburn (small club) to Naomh Gall (bigger club)
Eamonn & Paul Graham - Cushendun (small club) to Rosaa (then a bigger club)
Joe McCaffrey - O'Donnell's (small club) to Rossa (bigger club)
Adrian Craig - Portglenone (then a small club) to Cargin (bigger club)
The two Glenavy boys - Glenavy (small club) to Lamh Dhearg (bigger club)
etc.

Hopefully, you can get my point now.

if you know him so well then you would know that he  was not coming anyway
It seems that the transfer is not going to go through which is the correct course of action.

what facts and figures have you got to back up your opinion on other counties views on people transfering to other clubs?
Max has helped me out by giving his opinion about transfers in Derry.  I asked boys in work from Derry about transfers between clubs in Derry, they came up with three. Gary Coleman moving from Magherafelt to Ballymaquigan was one - he had moved to Ballymaquigan and it was his father's home club - nothing untoward there.  A boy (Donnelly?) once moved from Bellaghy to Lavey, but it had to be via Cargin before the county board would consider it.  Another boyo once transferred from Glen to Slaughneil and subsequently transferred back before he was eventually suspended from the club for dipping pockets in the changing rooms.  I asked another boy in work about transfers in Down and he highlighted DJ Kane who moved from Mitchel's to Shamrocks again via a club in Antrim (O'Donnells). He also mentioned the James McCartan mobile home farce in Down.

Both county boards seem to have a rule that if you want to transfer between clubs in the counties you have to sit out a year (which would stop transfers like the Sheeny McQuillan one.

I could safely bet that for every transfer in either county, I could name ten or twelve in Antrim.

what thirds goalkeeper are you talking about?
You appear not to have read what I posted.  My point was that the county under-21 keeper from a couple of years ago, Stephen Harbinson, was on his third club (St. Teresa's), having fallen out with his two previous ones (LD agus Naomh Eoin). I was trying to show the dangers of allowing transfers because of fallouts.

i played last night and we had the sub goalkeeper from the all ireland team playing.
Good to see that you're still getting a game and the obvious strength in depth your club has, but IMHO this is totally irrelevant to the matters being discussed.

if i spelt or wrote something wrong i'm sorry...............nobhead
You made that silent 'k' an invisible one too...sheer genius.

Glensman
Quote from: Glensman on September 06, 2007, 02:09:49 PM
Who are you Saffron Sam
Not telling you who I am.

Quote from: Glensman on September 06, 2007, 02:09:49 PM
Who are you Saffron Sam to make such an objective call on what, in each instance in my opinion, should be looked at subjectively.
Clearly there was some fall out between the Logans and Ahoghill that made it impossible for them to stay on...sure they not be allowed to play football or have to leave the county.
It isn't a subjective issue.  If there was a disagreement then it should be sorted out inhouse.  Every club in Ireland has internal disputes, but only in Antrim does it seem that these lead to regular transfers.

I will leave now by quoting from the outcome of  DRA case 12 & 13/2005 Pádraig Mac Gothraigh and Conchur Mac Bhranaigh -v- St Joseph 's GAC Glenavy and The Antrim County Committee.

We reject the submission that a player has the automatic right to play for whatever club he chooses and we remind the parties of Rule 32 of the Official Guide as amended:

"As the Gaelic Athletic Association is community centred, based on the allegiance of its members to their local Clubs and Counties, the Transfer and Declaration Rules in this Official Guide and in County Bye Laws reflect that ethos. A player is considered to owe allegiance and loyalty to his Home Club and County, as defined in these Rules."

milltown row

brilliant, we have a new chairman/woman here. with his/her spelling and grammer knowledge and understanding of the rules of the Gaelic Athletic Association he can make Antrim a force to be reckoned with ;D

i'm sure there are valid reasons for all of those transfers who are you to give off about players moving, from club to club

saffron sam2

Quote from: milltown row on September 07, 2007, 09:27:42 AM
brilliant, we have a new chairman/woman here. with his/her spelling and grammer knowledge and understanding of the rules of the Gaelic Athletic Association he can make Antrim a force to be reckoned with ;D

i'm sure there are valid reasons for all of those transfers who are you to give off about players moving, from club to club
Humour me then, give me a valid reason for any of the transfers I've mentioned.  Fall outs and ambitions to play at a higher level are not valid reasons.

It's grammar, by the way.