Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

milltown row

yes aidso got a bit of a digging from a crowd from Lamhs outside TG's some of our lads were distracted by the chippy van and didn't see it untill he was felled. they all got stuck in then cops came broke up fight and one of the lamhs men punched the cop (the comon enemy) and was duly arrested, spent night in cells.

thats what happens when you knock a team out of both championships in a week.

although i find it a bit crap that teams will bring their fights off the field, this is certainly not a belfast thing, maybe the county boys knock lumps out of themselves but it would not be comon here. but there seems to be bad blood between these teams

Glensman

"Maybe the country boys". Wind your neck in.

It was probably because the Lamhs are in effect from the country that is happened?!

SeanSouth

Quote from: milltown row on July 30, 2007, 04:31:06 PM

thats what happens when you knock a team out of both championships in a week.

Surely Lamh Dhearg still have to play another 3 championship games?

theskull1

Quote from: milltown row on July 30, 2007, 04:31:06 PM
although i find it a bit crap that teams will bring their fights off the field, this is certainly not a belfast thing, maybe the county boys knock lumps out of themselves but it would not be comon here. but there seems to be bad blood between these teams

Not normal for you to shit stir milltown? Did you fall out with the wife?
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

theskull1

I hear what you are saying hardstation but it could have been said without bring country teams into it (hence why I thought he was stiirring...which I might add is not milltowns form).
Can't deny that fights between crowds from different villages has taken place on nights out as tribalism does play a part once the first dig between two drunks is thrown, but I wouldn't be too quick to say that they were all GAA related scurmishes. You might as well blame the parish churches for having some responsibility as well if we are going down that road. Most times fights just start between two dickheads (well one at least) with too many drinks or testesterone in their blood and theres nothing voices of reason can do about it other than pull them apart, but if a crowd of GAA members take into one GAA member from a rival club then that is a a much more sinister scenario.
I can also tell you that Dunloy members have travelled to Cushendall/Cargin/Ahoghill after their championship successes over the years and we ourselves have been visited by Cushendall/Ballycastle/Cushendun/Loughiel/Rasharkin/Armoy when we have had success. Dunloy even travelled over to loughgiel with the volunteer cup the first couple of times we won the championship and were warmly recieved by everyone so the country clubs celebrate with other clubs successes the same as youse do in belfast
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

milltown row

Was not having a dig at the country boys, your right skull not my form, I'd like more Belfast clubs to have that Parish togetherness, and we would win more Championships if we did. I had asked a country man from work before I posted on the form; again this is just from what he said.

Hardstation was on the money with his thoughts. So if boys are annoyed I'll take it back. It wrangles me about what happened though. It could have been a lot worse for the lad in question had other lads not weighed in as the cops were there but failed to move in.

My point is this, whistle goes that's it that's the way it's been for years, now we have people throwing themselves to the ground (ok as I get older I'm falling a lot more, age thing) but looking to get people sent off it's just not GAA. You only have to look at how Dublin got on against Laois. 

A short story on the going to clubs afterwards (championship finals) we played McDermott's in the Junior hurling final a few years ago and in the 7 minute of injury time we scored a goal to win by a point. Mc Dees had their kids on the pitch with flags thinking they had won; McDees went into changing rooms and wreck the place. We were in the club afterwards feeling good, but after a while we headed down to the Macs, they took us in and free beer and banter, no problems. The following year they beat us in the final and invited us all down big party free drinks and a good night. That's why I find the going ons strange and out of character for Belfast clubs

imtommygunn

Anyone for croker on saturday?

It's all very quiet. I , for one, am looking forward to seeing the footballers get a game in croker. It'll be the first time I've ever seen them there.

Any predictions? Wicklow will be fit and up for it with Micko about. They'll be hard to beat but sure a few goals from CJ might do the trick...

Glensman

Hard one to call for Saturday. Wicklow won earlier in the year but suppose that doesn't mean that much now come "championship" time (I have been asking friends from down south for the last few weeks are they off to see Antrim in the All Ireland final...much confusion).

Hopefully there is a bit of support out there for them. I'll be there anyway. Anyone else?

As regards CJ am not jumping on the bandwagon just yet...but he certainly has the makings.
Heard a comedy story about him v Portglenone in a recent league game. St Galls down by a point and he lands out to the referee.
GOD/CJ "How long left ref?"
REF "About 3 minutes"
GOD/CJ "Thats long enough for me".
He promptly bangs over two points and St Galls win the game.
Heard that from a Portglenone fella who was playing.
Comedy.

Though I am not sure for definite I think Slim may have been playing for Cargin on Sunday. Hard one to take. The game should have been won a long time before the penaly at the end.

PS for what its worth I do agree with your general sentiment Hardstation as well...have always generally been impressed that the Galls/Johnies/Rossa boys are often seen out together and watching matches together. That wouldn't generally happen with most country clubs. But in agreement with Skull no need to bring the country boys in on this incident.
Hope that's the end of it

aontroim

Wasn't Slim in goals - was the normal Cargin keeper who was playing.

Maximus Marillius

WHERE IS SLIM SHADY?                                                                                               WHERE IS SLIM SHADY?

Chamonmofo

what about the match on sunday.. cargin very gracious in defeat... however they were far to cocky... dealtach johnston is an arse... laughinh through the whole match... no laughinh now hey boy are ya... i am first to admit that our performance going forward was poor.... but we did what we had to do to win!! our style of play willl be totally different against Gort na Mona... noamh pol abu

aontroim

Team for Saturday - few prodigal sons have returned

1.  Sean McGreevy - St. Pauls
2.  Paul Close - Rossa
3.  Paul Doherty - St. Marys Rasharkin
4.  James Loughrey - St Brigids
5.  Sean Kelly - St. Galls
6.  Eoin O'Neill - Erins Own Cargin
7.  Justin Crozier - Erins Own Cargin
8.  Joe Quinn - St. Pauls
9.  Darrell Martin - Kickhams Creggan
10. Aodhan Gallagher - St. Galls
11. Kevin Niblock - St. Galls
12. Kevin Brady - St. Ergnat's Moneyglass
13. Ciaran Close - Erins Own Cargin
14. Michael McCann - Erins Own Cargin
15. Conor McGourty - St. Galls

16. John Finucane - Lamh Dhearg
17. Gavin Bell - Rossa
18. Sean McVeigh - All Saints Ballymena
19. Mark Dougan - Kickhams Creggan
20. Michael Magill - Tir Na nóg Randalstown
21. Conor McGoldrick - St. Teresa's
22. Mickey Rea - St. Joseph Glenavy
23. Paddy Logan - All Saints Ballymena
24. Brendan Hasson - St. Marys Rasharkin
25. Liam Carland - St. Pauls
26. Michael Pollock - Gort Na Mona
27. Declan O'Hagan - St. Brigids
28. Colin Brady - St. Galls
29. Tony Convery - Portglenone
30 Leon Bonnes - Kickhams Creggan

Glensman

Paul Close corner back? Some Tom Foolery on the go here?

Personally I think Sean McVeigh is a much better option than Joe Quinn.

imtommygunn

Paul Close corner back?? Has he ever even played there before in his life??

I'd have thought Sean McVeigh is hard done by not to be playing and personally I don't think Eoin O'Neill cuts it at this level but all that aside not really too many surprise. Glad to see Gallagher isn't suspended for this one as it'd be a shame for him to miss out.

I would expect there to be a few positional switches before the start of the game or have Wicklow got some flying machine of a corner forward tha they want Scoose to take care of??