Ladies GAA

Started by Norf Tyrone, February 13, 2013, 12:54:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norf Tyrone

A couple of queries re ladies eligibility.

1. What's the youngest age a lady can be adult football. Is it the same as the men's game where-by if you play U16 you can't play adult?

2. Can you play for two underage Clubs. For example can you play for your home at U16, but if you've no minor team, play for a team that does have minor.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

nrico2006

1)  You can play senior football and 2 grades down, so you can play u16, minor and senior.

2)  You can play for two different underage clubs if one doesn't field at a certain level and a player is eligible.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Eamonnca1

Point of order: There's no such thing as "Ladies GAA" in Ireland where ladies football is not governed by the GAA.

Carry on.

BEASTY

Can I also add slash threadjack a little!

Who is the top Ladies GAA player (Assuming there were Ladies GAA ;D
Thanks

Please remember Beasty Knows nothing

Denn Forever

Cora Staunton of Mayo is pretty special.

Team of the decade.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l776jTb4700
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Zulu

Nice video, ladies football has really come on over the past decade and there are some wonderful footballers in the girls game these days.

Hardy

I'm glad it's not  associated with the GAA, because I've been mildly embarrassed for a while about the terminology being stuck in the eighteenth century. "Ladies". Now that I hear it's got nothing to do with us, they can call it what they like.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Denn Forever on February 15, 2013, 07:05:15 PM

Team of the decade.

Yeah, beats me how she has only 7 all-stars in 15 years. Any year there has not been 3 never mind 6 better forwards than her. I say that slightly tongue in cheek. But it's true. For the last 15 years or so she has scored 75 to 80% of her teams score for Club or County. It's phenomenal.

Ard-Rí

Quote from: Hardy on February 15, 2013, 08:10:11 PM
I'm glad it's not  associated with the GAA, because I've been mildly embarrassed for a while about the terminology being stuck in the eighteenth century. "Ladies". Now that I hear it's got nothing to do with us, they can call it what they like.

Peil na mBan is a much better term all round, wouldn't you say.
Ar son Éireann Gaelaí

Eamonnca1

Huh?

stew

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on February 15, 2013, 09:40:30 PM

Huh?

Exactly, what is wrong with a woman being called a lady?

As for the rest of that post................... ???
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

cadence

Quote from: Denn Forever on February 15, 2013, 07:05:15 PM

Team of the decade.

@ 7:50....  typical mayo moaning to the ref about a foul.

Hardy

Huh?

Quote from: stew on February 15, 2013, 10:31:32 PM

Huh?

Exactly, what is wrong with a woman being called a lady?

As for the rest of that post................... ???

Well, what can I say? As a 21st century organisation, we seem to take in our stride the inclusion of a Catholic mass as an official item on the agenda of Congress, the requirement that Olekunle Omisabwe of Nigerian parentage must, according to the Treoir Oifigiuil, present himself using the Irish form of his name, and good luck to him in composing it, to be listed on a team sheet, and the casual references to "race" in our constitution. So why should I be surprised that few, including the "ladies" so patronised by it, bat an eyelid at this anachronistic terminology? Even a backward ould b**tard like me would have thought it was about time for the GAA to get up to speed with the fact that women's (not "ladies'") sport is now mainstream.

Quote from: Ard-Rí on February 15, 2013, 08:50:48 PM

Peil na mBan is a much better term all round, wouldn't you say.

I would indeed, when speaking Irish. In English, I'd suggest it should be women's football.

Eamonnca1

Um, since when was the word "lady" anachronistic?

Hardy

I can't give you a date, but I think if you suggested to an American athlete the she was involved in a "ladies'" sport you might want to make sure you knew where the nearest exit was. When did you last hear of ladies' boxing, athletics, sailing, skitttles, whatever? Not to labour the point, but "ladies" these days will ask you why you don't speak of "gentlemen's" football, etc.