Owen Mulligan- The End!

Started by Norf Tyrone, July 14, 2011, 10:39:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norf Tyrone

Rumours abound the Owen Mulligan has packed up his Inter County boots!

http://www.teamtalkmag.com/?p=7101

It would seem that last Saturday night could well have marked the final time that we will see Owen Mulligan in a Tyrone jersey.  Sources in the Cookstown area have confirmed that Owen has decided to hang up the boots only a few days before the Round 3 Qualifier against either Armagh or Wicklow.  His decision seems to be linked to a perceived lack of game time.

Mulligan featured for Tyrone in five out of the six National League games this year.  He came on for the last 15 minutes as a replacement for Martin Penrose on Saturday night and started the Donegal match gaining 51 minutes action.   In the opening Ulster Championship match with Monaghan he had 14 minutes action.

The news will come as a huge disappointment to Tyrone fans and more particularly to team manager Mickey Harte and the Tyrone players as Owen has contributed so much to the success of the team over the last decade.

Certainly Teamtalkmag.com hope that Owen can be talked around over the incoming days as no doubt he would have a big contribution to make as Tyrone enter the business end of the season.

Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

Hoof Hearted

have to admit i thought he was a class player.
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

Minder

I had to be scraped off the floor when I heard that news.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

The Worker

ross4life

All is not well behind the scenes in Tyrone if Owen Mulligan decides to walk away during a championship campaign.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Orangemac

We have heard the stories about Jordan etc before.

If there is anything to this expect Mickey Harte to talk him round in time for Wicklow/Armagh game.

ziggysego

I wouldn't pay too much heat on it yet, just rumours. Even TeamTalk have said that.

That said, if he does decide to hang up the old boots, well good luck to him. He gave great service to the Tyrone cause and we can ask no more of him.
Testing Accessibility

redhandloo

Quote from: ziggysego on July 15, 2011, 12:40:14 AM
I wouldn't pay too much heat on it yet, just rumours. Even TeamTalk have said that.

That said, if he does decide to hang up the old boots, well good luck to him. He gave great service to the Tyrone cause and we can ask no more of him.

Featured in all three AIF wins. Hit a couple of big frees in 03 final. RTE Motm in 05 (mcguigan should have got it), came on in 08 final. A great servant indeed whose persona outside of Tyrone as a flash Harry doesn't do justice to a great player!
Tough times don't last, tough people do!

Shamrock Shore

Mustn't have liked the Longford dressing rooms and/or Mrs. D's sandwiches.

Strange to hang up boots in the middle of a campaign......

Must have decided that the role of 'semi-impact' sub was not for him.

maggie

Hope he sticks it out for the rest of the championship anyways. But will always remember him for that goal against Dublin and his legacy will surely be the whole wave of bleached blonde mugsy wannabes.

ziggysego

Quote from: maggie on July 15, 2011, 01:03:18 AM
Hope he sticks it out for the rest of the championship anyways. But will always remember him for that goal against Dublin and his legacy will surely be the whole wave of bleached blonde mugsy wannabes.

For me, the moment I'll remember him for, is the pass he gave to Canavan in the 2005 All-Ireland Final, which ended in the goal.
Testing Accessibility

Forever Green

Very good footballer. Good luck to him if he does retire

AFS

Might as well get this out of the way good and early:

Diving cnut!

PAULD123

He has started one game and come on twice for the last 15 minutes. That's not bad game time for a player who is reaching the end of his inter county career. Wasn't something similar in 2008? Even after returning from injury he was used as a late substitute all the way to the All-Ireland final, wasn't he?

It was reported on radio that he was absent from training on last two sessions this week. But so was Jordan. If Harte wants him I am sure he will talk him round.

heffo

Hope Harte talks him around - he deserves to go out on a high or at least retire properly at the end of a season.