Football Review Committee Survey

Started by Seany, July 25, 2012, 06:53:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drici

Could be a few tough ones.

haze

Thought it was a very interesting survey. Now I hope it's genuine football people who take the time to complete the survey and the feedback is used constructively..

Though hope we don't end up with some b*staridised form of the game. Some of the rule changes you are asked in the survey to consider implementing include:

tap and go (there would be even less kicking. Its not rugby we want to play)
pick up straight from the ground (it's one of the skills of our games why the f*ck would you get rid of it)
13 aside (we want more people playing the game, not less)
2 points for frees from the ground (so Cluxton for example would get two points for kicking a free straight in front of the goals but Bernard Brogan curling a free over from near the sideline out of his hands would only get one.. get out of it)

I also have my doubts about limiting the number of handpasses and the sin bin (though that's purely based on the inconsistency of referees and the different interpretations of what constitutes a fair tackle)

The only rule change that I think should be implemented straight away is the time clock. Sick of wathcing time wasting getting rewarded when referees seem to automatically add on 2 mins at the end of every game regardless of what happened in the previous 35 mins. Joke

Bingo

Strange one about starting the National league in October. As it stands must counties are trying to finish up their own club competitions then. I'm sure that the move would be to allow more time for club competitions but if a county team is starting in October, wouldn't it be just a 12 month intercounty season for players with managers getting squads ready shortly after they exit the championship to start again in October?

Can't see where they going with that one. If anything they should be looking to condense the Intercounty season, 5 weeks to play the first round of Ulster championship is crazy.

cornafean

2 points for frees

A diver's charter.
Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.

screenexile

Totally agree about the Ulster Championship thing. There is no need for Interprovincial games to be on different weekends. The preliminary round two weeks before the first round which should all be played on the one weekend and the Semi Finals on the same weekend also.

There seems to be some notion that the Ulster Cship games should be on separate weekends because some people want to go to all the games and the BBC should show them all. It's unnecessary!

cornafean

This survey is ridiculously bad. It's riddled with leading questions. And even though I am way too old to be playing any level of competitive football, it won't allow me to complete the survey unless I tell them porkies by answering " What do you dislike about Gaelic football as a player?:"

Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.

bailestil

They shouldn't be worried about the game itself.
(Id love to see it go to 13-a-side to make it more free-flowing but never going to happen it seems)

What needs to be address is the administratino for the majority (Club Players). Fixtures are all over the place.
You can no longer expect county players to be dragged from pillar to post by their club & County. At the same time you can't expect club players to be subjected to fixtures which are liable to change at any minute and being idle for months and then a flood games in a week or 2.

The survey itself has some very loaded questions. Its quite clear for the survey what Areas they are looking at.
Why handpassing is now seen as a disease i haven't got a clue.

Bingo

Yeah, handpassing isn't the problem, its the positioning of players and team set ups. If a team is set up to play defensive, you are only likely to have free players to pass to beside you. Why would you kick it up the field to 2/3 forwards marked by 4/5 men, when you have free players beside you unmarked. Team will always look to keep possession and play the percentages.

upmonaghansayswe

Quote from: haze on July 26, 2012, 09:32:00 AM
Thought it was a very interesting survey. Now I hope it's genuine football people who take the time to complete the survey and the feedback is used constructively..

Though hope we don't end up with some b*staridised form of the game. Some of the rule changes you are asked in the survey to consider implementing include:

tap and go (there would be even less kicking. Its not rugby we want to play)
pick up straight from the ground (it's one of the skills of our games why the f*ck would you get rid of it)
13 aside (we want more people playing the game, not less)
2 points for frees from the ground (so Cluxton for example would get two points for kicking a free straight in front of the goals but Bernard Brogan curling a free over from near the sideline out of his hands would only get one.. get out of it)

I also have my doubts about limiting the number of handpasses and the sin bin (though that's purely based on the inconsistency of referees and the different interpretations of what constitutes a fair tackle)

The only rule change that I think should be implemented straight away is the time clock. Sick of wathcing time wasting getting rewarded when referees seem to automatically add on 2 mins at the end of every game regardless of what happened in the previous 35 mins. Joke

Disagree.. Maybe just apply it if a player is in his own half though.. There are too many, what used to be called "forwards tackles" but now are deliberate fouls to slow up play and get men back.. You often see these types of frees (particularly deep in a teams half) kicked back to the goalkeeper.. Now if you prefer watching a pinpoint pass back to an unmarked goalkeeper, thats grand, id rather see the team being fouled against given as much of an advantage as possible and "tap and go" if they wish..

fearglasmor

Just the fact that there is a survey is a great idea. It can only ever be a supervicial overview of how we see football. You cant get anything more from a 5 minute survey.
For me the most important thing is that the GAA are trying to establish a vision of what we want gaelic football to look like, whatever that vision turns out to be. Leaving it to develop organically driven by purely results oriented inter county managers would, I think, be a mistake.

Rossfan

Agree fear about the first step ... but as you said there would need to be a greater list of questions and commetns/suggestions to get a fuller picture of peoples' concerns and suggestions.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM