Attendances

Started by slippery dodger, January 18, 2018, 09:22:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redhand Santa

Croke park was the perfect neutral venue for today's games and anyone there got value for money.

BennyCake

How many at Saturdays two games?

From the Bunker

Dinny Breen

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 21, 2019, 11:16:12 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on July 21, 2019, 11:02:04 PM

Can't believe only 1k supporters showed up from Tyrone, Cork & Roscommon!
#newbridgeornowhere

TheGreatest

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 22, 2019, 09:03:13 AM
Quote from: From the Bunker on July 21, 2019, 11:16:12 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on July 21, 2019, 11:02:04 PM

Can't believe only 1k supporters showed up from Tyrone, Cork & Roscommon!

I would say 20K Dubs.

About 10 Cork fans there.

Dinny Breen

Mayo sell out their semi-final, amazing supporters. 83k

Less than 34k at today's semi-final, the penny has dropped with your average county supporter. The AI series is the new Leinster. The AI football final didn't sell out last year, will it this year?
#newbridgeornowhere

armaghniac

You have an All Ireland semi-final with an attendance marginally greater than an Ulster first round back in the days of Armagh/Tyrone rivalry. Today's game was balanced enough to be competitive, but people know the AI competition has been turned into a parade.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

naka

Definitely was a poor crowd today but reality every family chatted to acknowledging Dublin are too far ahead

Blowitupref

2015 the All Ireland semi final between Kerry and Tyrone had attendance of 53,044. I think HQ really need sit down over the winter months and ask why 4 years on less than 20k attended that game today.

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

RedHand88

Poor poor show today. Sad state of affairs. Don't know what the solution is either.

yellowcard

More games (Super 8s) equals more expense equals more apathy. Fairly simple, to say it is mostly down to Dublin dominance is to bury your head in the sand. There has been a pattern for quite some time as many club people I know feel a total disconnect with the inter county game, it almost feels like a different sport at times. The authorities have facilitated it.

Dinny Breen

In 2011 Dublin had a massive bandwagon, years of perceived hurt & pain. Tickets were like gold dust, last year I was being offered loads. The distribution system will hit then this year, the final won't generate much interest among neutrals who traditionally snapped up their club's allocations, €250 for 2 when you factor in ticket, transportation and refreshments for a foregone conclusion . Add in 2 poorly supported minor teams.
#newbridgeornowhere

AZOffaly

Quote from: Dinny Breen on August 11, 2019, 08:00:33 PM
In 2011 Dublin had a massive bandwagon, years of perceived hurt & pain. Tickets were like gold dust, last year I was being offered loads. The distribution system will hit then this year, the final won't generate much interest among neutrals who traditionally snapped up their club's allocations, €250 for 2 when you factor in ticket, transportation and refreshments for a foregone conclusion . Add in 2 poorly supported minor teams.

If you are offered loads this year give me a shout!

BennyCake

Poor attendances isn't just down to Dublin dominating. It's also about HQ taking the piss with ticket prices and this Super 8 bollocks.

Yellowcard is correct. The county and club games do feel like different sports.

befair

Quote from: BennyCake on August 11, 2019, 08:29:21 PM
Poor attendances isn't just down to Dublin dominating. It's also about HQ taking the piss with ticket prices and this Super 8 bollocks.

Yellowcard is correct. The county and club games do feel like different sports.
The poor attendance was multifactorial. Dublin's overt superiority is a factor, both teams + supporters + neutrals aware that the final will be a procession. Kerry are also poorly supported at the best of times. When a low attendance is suspected, these games should be aggressively marketed to tourists, who could learn more about the real Ireland i.e. always blame the ref