Climate change

Started by Eamonnca1, September 20, 2019, 08:18:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eamonnca1

Kudos to all the people protesting today. Governments need to get off their holes and do something.

BennyCake

Yeah, like build more runways at Heathrow.

RadioGAAGAA

Its not just the governments.

- Airbus and Boeing don't build aircraft because governments told them to. They do it because Joe Public wants to fly from A to B.
- Car manufacturers are the same. Public demand shapes industry response.
- If the govts went full renewable electricity, we'd all be bitching (and out of work) 'cos of the price of electric.
- The Western world wastes almost as much food as it eats.

i usse an speelchekor

omaghjoe

Complicated solution....

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-49567197

Nuclear Fission is probably the best method right now with Fusion the longer term goal

Eamonnca1

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on September 20, 2019, 08:42:01 PM

- Airbus and Boeing don't build aircraft because governments told them to. They do it because Joe Public wants to fly from A to B.
- If the govts went full renewable electricity, we'd all be bitching (and out of work) 'cos of the price of electric.

Governments can have a huge impact on what industry builds. It took government to take the lead out of petrol and CFCs out of aerosol propellants. They're well able to regulate the fuel that burns in jet engines.

omaghjoe

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on September 21, 2019, 04:26:52 AM

Governments can have a huge impact on what industry builds. It took government to take the lead out of petrol and CFCs out of aerosol propellants. They're well able to regulate the fuel that burns in jet engines.

Are you proposing they take the carbon out of aviation fuel?

J70

Quote from: omaghjoe on September 20, 2019, 08:54:36 PM
Complicated solution....

Nuclear Fission is probably the best method right now with Fusion the longer term goal

Agreed.

t_mac

Yip wonder how many eco warriers have 3 or 4 flights a year, I haven't been on a plane since 2012 and hopefully never get on another one.

BennyCake

Quote from: t_mac on September 21, 2019, 01:52:21 PM

Yip wonder how many eco warriers have 3 or 4 flights a year, I haven't been on a plane since 2012 and hopefully never get on another one.

Is this because you just haven't had the chance to, or you're abstaining from flying?

omaghjoe

Pointing out that solutions are at the minute very difficult to come by is an important part of any solution.
Proposing simple solutions to complex problems is the very definition of populism.
Defining this discussion as those who agree with us and those who disagree is a guarantee to get nowhere.

RadioGAAGAA

Complicated solution....

course it is.

Yet the hippies in Greenpeace etc won't go for it. They want to try and force everyone back to being hunter gatherers ffs.
i usse an speelchekor

omaghjoe

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on September 21, 2019, 05:35:57 PM
Complicated solution....

course it is.

Yet the hippies in Greenpeace etc won't go for it. They want to try and force everyone back to being hunter gatherers ffs.

I can see why people would be opposed to fission considering the risk of meltdown and the problem with radioactive waste. However all this needs to be squared with the risk level which is reducing all the time.. I think I read that fission is safer than solar in terms of deaths but of course it's hard to quantify. But the debate around fission needs to be much more objective and informed because at the minute its not
Fusion tho would be inherently safe but rather perplexingly I discovered that Greenpeace is opposed to it.

Of course nuclear is not available to all countries and those which are evolving themselves into industrialised economies will almost always gravitate towards coal due to its stand alone ability.

Eamonnca1

Greenpeace is opposed to fusion?! WTF?

Eamonnca1

Quote from: omaghjoe on September 21, 2019, 06:31:04 AM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on September 21, 2019, 04:26:52 AM

Are you proposing they take the carbon out of aviation fuel?

https://theicct.org/publications/long-term-aviation-fuel-decarbonization-progress-roadblocks-and-policy-opportunities

t_mac

Quote from: BennyCake on September 21, 2019, 02:35:00 PM
Quote from: t_mac on September 21, 2019, 01:52:21 PM

Is this because you just haven't had the chance to, or you're abstaining from flying?

Don't fly, the 2012 one was to London when I was forced to go for work, no problem with any one flying but do have an issue with someone telling me to how to save the planet when they are flying a lot and staying in hotels.