Westminster Election 12th December 2019

Started by Ambrose, October 29, 2019, 02:24:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

five points

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 13, 2019, 12:46:49 PM
Nor Ballymena or east Belfast but I'd imagine it'll be a a straight poll and anything over 50% will be enough. Though it's at least 10 years away in my opinion
You can add a zero to that, in my opinion. In the meantime, DUP voters switching to Alliance doesn't change anything.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: screenexile on December 13, 2019, 12:34:37 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on December 13, 2019, 12:27:04 PM
Personally quite gutted at the results in England and Wales. It's clear this was about Brexit and the people in those areas are steadfastly determined to jump off the cliff. I find it astonishing but I can understand it given the wall to wall coverage it has received.

As usual some unfair and inaccurate comment on Corbyn. I think he has done a tremendous job in making Labour stand for something again. I believe completely in the policies put forward and I know they are the only solution to growing wealth inequality, the jobs timebomb and the climate crisis. Eventually the people will realise this - hopefully before it's too late. I don't think he lost the election on his policy platform - the policies are popular. Brexit meant all bets were off. The Tories, like Trump in 2016, worked out what had to be said to win and the did it relentlessly. A winning strategy perhaps but that's a sad reflection on where we're at I'd say. Corbyn will go but Labour must stay the course with a modern social democratic alternative. Nothing worse than a country with two main parties offering the same.

The silver lining to the cloud is that a United Ireland is closer. I only hope and pray when it comes about we've moved away from the Varadkar/Murphy Tory style politics on this island and our kids get the United Ireland that brave people a century ago envisioned. 

It's not inaccurate seanie Corbyn was/is a disaster and if the Labour party blame this defeat solely on Brexit they will never recover. Corbyn may well stand for something (Farage and Tommy Robinson stand for plenty too) and that's fine but the public don't want it so either they package up the same policies but get somebody better to sell them to the public or they need to change tack altogether!!

Correct, would be very arrogant to think its solely about Brexit. Interesting times ahead for the Labour party, the powers that be will want Corbyn to hang around whilst they maintain control.

Rossfan

Anyone able to say when Labour last won a majority of English seats ?
There are 99 in Scotland and Wales 60-70 of which used to go to Labour in the old days enabling them to win a GE without having to win in England.
As for the blue collar workers voting for the party who put them in the excrement in the first place.....🙄
Obviously think Brexit is a magic bullet that will make them all great again.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Maroon Manc

Quote from: Rossfan on December 13, 2019, 01:21:36 PM
Anyone able to say when Labour last won a majority of English seats ?
There are 99 in Scotland and Wales 60-70 of which used to go to Labour in the old days enabling them to win a GE without having to win in England.
As for the blue collar workers voting for the party who put them in the excrement in the first place.....🙄
Obviously think Brexit is a magic bullet that will make them all great again.

Labour won over 400 seats in both 97 and 2001 whilst the Tories were around 160 in both elections so would have been then.

seafoid

Quote from: five points on December 13, 2019, 12:40:51 PM
The silver lining to the cloud is that a United Ireland is closer. I only hope and pray when it comes about we've moved away from the Varadkar/Murphy Tory style politics on this island and our kids get the United Ireland that brave people a century ago envisioned.

Sorry, I can't ever see North Down voting for a united Ireland.
IRFU areas would be more likely to agree than IFA areas, surely
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

five points

Quote from: seafoid on December 13, 2019, 01:30:45 PM
IRFU areas would be more likely to agree than IFA areas, surely

In theory, yes. In practice, when push comes to shove, hard to see it happening.

BennyCake

Quote from: Solo_run on December 13, 2019, 12:07:44 PM
Is Boris still going for a border down the Irish sea or can this be changed?

Will Douglas become the new Crossmaglen?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: five points on December 13, 2019, 01:12:17 PM
Nor Ballymena or east Belfast but I'd imagine it'll be a a straight poll and anything over 50% will be enough. Though it's at least 10 years away in my opinion
You can add a zero to that, in my opinion. In the meantime, DUP voters switching to Alliance doesn't change anything.

Sorry what I meant to say, was that was just to have a poll, I can't see it being passed first or second time around
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

RadioGAAGAA

You don't know your history very well.

Where did the* United Irishmen come from?

*ok, a significant proportion of.
i usse an speelchekor

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: five points on December 13, 2019, 01:38:40 PM
In theory, yes. In practice, when push comes to shove, hard to see it happening.

In practice - when it comes to putting food on the table - it is easy to see it happening.
i usse an speelchekor

Denn Forever

Iv all the non tories voted as a single bloc. would they have enough to vote down a gov. bill?
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Denn Forever on December 13, 2019, 01:56:43 PM
Iv all the non tories voted as a single bloc. would they have enough to vote down a gov. bill?

Sure there are Tories that are pro remain
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Mourne Red

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 13, 2019, 01:46:39 PM
Quote from: five points on December 13, 2019, 01:12:17 PM

Sorry what I meant to say, was that was just to have a poll, I can't see it being passed first or second time around

Milltown out of curiosity what do you think the % would be in a border poll??

screenexile

Saw a great tweet earlier:

YET MORE ANIT CORBYN BIAS FROM THE ELECTORATE

Sums it up fairly well.

Itchy

Personally quite gutted at the results in England and Wales. It's clear this was about Brexit and the people in those areas are steadfastly determined to jump off the cliff. I find it astonishing but I can understand it given the wall to wall coverage it has received.

As usual some unfair and inaccurate comment on Corbyn. I think he has done a tremendous job in making Labour stand for something again. I believe completely in the policies put forward and I know they are the only solution to growing wealth inequality, the jobs timebomb and the climate crisis. Eventually the people will realise this - hopefully before it's too late. I don't think he lost the election on his policy platform - the policies are popular. Brexit meant all bets were off. The Tories, like Trump in 2016, worked out what had to be said to win and the did it relentlessly. A winning strategy perhaps but that's a sad reflection on where we're at I'd say. Corbyn will go but Labour must stay the course with a modern social democratic alternative. Nothing worse than a country with two main parties offering the same.

Its not about Brexit, its about racism and the uneducated little englander blaming Johnny Foreigner for all his woes.