Westminster Election 12th December 2019

Started by Ambrose, October 29, 2019, 02:24:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smelmoth

Quote from: t_mac on November 09, 2019, 06:13:00 PM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-50361025
Will this not impede all the borrowing pledges.

Probably not. The cost of borrowing is the key. It may or may not  change by an amount that makes a difference

yellowcard

Quote from: illdecide on November 09, 2019, 02:22:17 PM
Alliance Party
Naomi Long

Conservative
Amandeep Bhogal

Democratic Unionist Party
Diane Dodds

Green Party
Clare Bailey

Sinn Féin
Martina Anderson

Social Democratic & Labour Party
Colum Eastwood

Traditional Unionist Voice
Jim Allister

Ulster Unionist Party
Danny Kennedy

UKIP
Robert Hill

Independent
Neil McCann
Jane Morrice

Right guys got the above list from bbc website...is that the lot? I'm not into my politics at all...TBh i hate the lot of them and when i see them on the news i turn it over. I haven't voted for a while for the reason just stated as I believe they're all useless.
Having said all that I believe this election is just too important to ignore this time and i'm not faced with the problem of who do i vote for? Obviously from a Nationalist background I can rule out DUP and UUP but who else is worthy of my vote and if the truth be told is it even worth my while? I used to vote Sinn Fein all the time in my younger days but now I'm not to impressed, SDLP what is the craic with them? Alliance is being considered but is there any point in voting for a party that won't get elected? So then does it all boil down to SF? everytime i see them on TV with DUP it turns into a shouting match and then the remote control gets a new channel to change to.

I'm not taking the pi55 here folks...genuinely haven't a clue about politics

It's not for anybody else to tell you how to vote, everyone will have their own priorities. Personally I'd vote candidate before party.

I think there will be a huge turnout this election if the DUPs antics in Westminster over the last 2/3 years isn't enough to bring people out then I don't know what will.

seafoid

Quote from: oneflewoverthecuckoonest on November 09, 2019, 01:54:38 PM
alliance will win no seats. the dupers have a lock on east Belfast and robinson will hold easily. in north down the dupers were almost on terms with her ladyship and they will easily swap aside alliance.

only a pure mug would want labour to win in the mainland, the party, once the dominant force in Scotland, may be lucky to win one seat up there.  unless you are blind, deaf or dumb, the only tactic and policy for this election that labour has, is to lock in all the muslins via postal votes, and just like in the recent  bye election in peterboro, hope to steal tight marginals with these locks.  labour is now the party of islam.

Alliance won a Euro seat. Lots of middle class Protestants abandoned the DUP
Labour will beat the Tories.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

imtommygunn

I hope you're right but I think you are wrong.

Only twice have alliance got east Belfast. This election is different. The union depends on it. (Or alternatively the pricks who are supposed to be trying to preserve "the union" are advancing the cause of a United ireland by about a generation are stoking up tensions and claiming it's crucial to vote for them or the union will be in trouble).

yellowcard

Quote from: imtommygunn on November 09, 2019, 09:19:33 PM
I hope you're right but I think you are wrong.

Only twice have alliance got east Belfast. This election is different. The union depends on it. (Or alternatively the pricks who are supposed to be trying to preserve "the union" are advancing the cause of a United ireland by about a generation are stoking up tensions and claiming it's crucial to vote for them or the union will be in trouble).

Correct. The DUP and loyalists have built this election into being about the future of the union and have reduced it to orange v green as with every election. Thankfully the SDLP and SF have thus far largely focussed on Brexit no point in getting sucked into their sectarian game of us v them since that will only play into their hands. It's probably not surprising given the DUPs handling of Brexit that they want to focus on 'saving the union' but if they lose a lot of votes snd seats then they can't argue if there are renewed calls for an immediate border poll in the aftermath. You can't have it both ways.

The fact that the DUP have given prominent loyalists more prominence in this campaign indicate how scared they are of losing seats in dome constituencies.

balladmaker

The nightmare scenario is if the DUP were to make a gain in ND, and even with losing SB, return with 10 ... that would be sickening.  If ever a party deserved to take an electoral kicking, it's that shower.

under the bar

Quote from: balladmaker on November 10, 2019, 12:32:49 AM
The nightmare scenario is if the DUP were to make a gain in ND, and even with losing SB, return with 10 ... that would be sickening.  If ever a party deserved to take an electoral kicking, it's that shower.

Look on the bright side.  Every DUPed Brexit MP returned is another nail in the coffin of the Union.

balladmaker

Quote from: under the bar on November 10, 2019, 01:03:34 AM

Look on the bright side.  Every DUPed Brexit MP returned is another nail in the coffin of the Union.

Very true.

smelmoth

Unbelievably there has been up until point a group of people who would deny that there is a broad base of right wing newspapers that do the Tories bidding. I assume we can draw a line under that debate given the concerted plan on the front of the usual suspect papers this morning

seafoid

Back in May Diane Dodds campaigned on a platform of DUP for Brexit and a stronger Union.

That worldview has collapsed. Now it's either Brexit OR the Union . What it really means is that the DUP cannot escape the GFA. The DUP's failure is massive. How middle class Protestants vote will depend on what they think of this.

imtommygunn

Sf I still don't think you understand the voting demographic in ni. In at least five or six constituencies the dup can do whatever they want. They can do anything. They aren't Sinn Fein. That is all it takes.

seafoid

Quote from: imtommygunn on November 10, 2019, 12:42:35 PM
Sf I still don't think you understand the voting demographic in ni. In at least five or six constituencies the dup can do whatever they want. They can do anything. They aren't Sinn Fein. That is all it takes.

They will still do ok in certain areas but Brexit will hurt them. We just don't know yet.
Nigel Dodds was demonstrating against a Brexit deal that the DUP did so much to support. That shows the state they are in.

illdecide

Well like i said yesterday, I know nothing about politics only that the DUP are bigoted and corrupt as they come, I always used to vote SF but haven't voted the last few elections but this one def is as important as they'll ever be. I know it's my decision who i vote for but it just seems like i'm voting just for the sake of it and that no party deserves it, just cycling home this morning and seen election posters up around Craigavon from Alliance and i swear some young fella's face is on the poster and he looks about 17 ffs. Assuming he's older than that what the hell is that young fella going to know about it... ::)
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

playwiththewind1st

Quote from: illdecide on November 10, 2019, 03:39:55 PM
Well like i said yesterday, I know nothing about politics only that the DUP are bigoted and corrupt as they come, I always used to vote SF but haven't voted the last few elections but this one def is as important as they'll ever be. I know it's my decision who i vote for but it just seems like i'm voting just for the sake of it and that no party deserves it, just cycling home this morning and seen election posters up around Craigavon from Alliance and i swear some young fella's face is on the poster and he looks about 17 ffs. Assuming he's older than that what the hell is that young fella going to know about it... ::)

As long as he's inoffensive, that's fine. Good old Alliance....let's not upset anybody & we will take a hit for team NI, when our arses get too sore, from sitting on the fence. No pacts here!

trileacman

Quote from: playwiththewind1st on November 10, 2019, 04:07:05 PM
Quote from: illdecide on November 10, 2019, 03:39:55 PM

As long as he's inoffensive, that's fine. Good old Alliance....let's not upset anybody & we will take a hit for team NI, when our arses get too sore, from sitting on the fence. No pacts here!

Who you voting for? I assume it's not SF given their long history of arse sitting on the fence whilst important decisions are taken at Westminster without them.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014