Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cavan4ever

You have two teams named there myles but i presume the one with James in goals is your championship team.  Alot of them lads have been around for a long time and   hopefully they will give us something to shout about.  Id say Martin Reilly is a cert to start though for Givney but other than that your prob not far away.

Lawrence of Knockbride

Quote from: mylestheslasher on May 12, 2009, 09:10:39 PM
So have the county team any further challenges lined up for the coming weeks.

Getting near the time to have a stab at the championship team. Heres mine for what its worth...

fintain reilly,hannon,sheridan,brides,mc cutheon,keating,podge,galligan,walsh,sean brady,mackey,lyng,larry,jason,martain reilly

James Reilly (has he been in goals since being dropped against Louth?)
Hannon
Sheridan
Fannin
McCutcheon
Flanagan
Brady
Galligan
Walsh
Lyng
Cullivan
Mackey
Johnstone
Pierson
Givney (3rd midfielder)

A lot of lads on the bench that would expect a game too.

I think thats the best we have but on paper looks fairly weak. Should be a fit, athletic enough team though.

Opinions and all that Myles, but I'd say you have about as much chance of starting as Givney ;). I'd say you could swap Lyng & Cullivan and Gunner & Flanagan position wise and you wouldn't be too far off. What's the craic with CHB? He's tried Sean Brady and now Keating there (a couple of times) when it's one of the few positions we have had a number of good displays in form Brady and Flanagan.

whats my name

wel first of all i dont think piearson will be starting he is having bad problems with his hamstring.

whats my name

and Lawrence of Knockbride you could lay off on one of my relations please as he hasnt done anything wrong.

mylestheslasher

My thinking on Givney being a 3rd midfielder is that two smallish forwards need space. Fermanagh (who I believe are likely to beat Down) will crowd out defence and ctr field. We'll need to make space in the forwards and have ball winners in the middle. I suppose Sean Brady could play for Givney in this scenario. Martin Reilly has showed well in challenge games and with DIT but was poor in the league from what I saw. He works hard no doubt and has a great attitude but is a bit small and needs to bulk up. He might just loose out. Givney or Brady give us the option of a big FF or 3rd midfielder.
Brady was very poor at ctr back versus Louth. Flanagan will play a sweeping role there to protect our dodgy FB line, I can't see that not happening. Lyng will be lucky to get his place as he has not done much this year. I think Cullivan up the middle is a better option. Keating could easily get in there for Lyng.

Whats your team Lawrence and please don't put me in there, I don't have the legs for it anymore.

the salmon of knowledge

i reckon it lines itself out apart from the no 12, 14 and 15 shirts from the team myles lined out.
mckeevers omission from the panel is really highlighted when you see a probable cavan team on paper for the champ, pity...
i know this might vex some on here, but given johnstone and mackey are defo starters, can we afford another man of slight build, ie martin reilly?? i seriously would worry about being overpowered.
has lyng done enough?? or should keating get the nod, carr seems to like him
does givney start? plain and simple i really dont have a clue, it will depend on who the opposition is perhaps.

Lawrence of Knockbride

Quote from: whats my name on May 12, 2009, 10:34:05 PM
and Lawrence of Knockbride you could lay off on one of my relations please as he hasnt done anything wrong.
Lay off him? All I said was I think he has very little chance of starting. Subtle family drop though. This family of yours isn't a mafia thing is it? :o
Myles, don't be so self-degrading-you've a few weeks to sharpen up yet. I posted my team before the Louth game but I forget it now. Something like:

1.Miller
2.Fanin
3.Sheridan
4.Hannon
5.McCutcheon
6.Gunner
7.Dunne
8.Galligan
9.Walsh
10.Mackey
11.Lyng
12.Cullivan
13.Johnston
14.(Might have had McCabe here
15Pierson

It doesn't look like he's going to go with Dunne at WHB even though he was outstanding there against Offaly and good against Roscommon. Maybe Cullivan to FF with Keating/Sean Brady/Martin Reilly on the wing.

whats my name

wel first of all wer not in the mafia so your ok lawrence and i think you should have flanigan in the team somewhere seen as he is the captain and is playing well.

cavan4sam

Lads just aquick line to inform you that the Gunner isn't going to be around for the first round of the championshp as he is away playing handball in the states or somewhere, world doubles or something I think. I would love to have him at centre back especialy if he was able to play it as well as he did against Roscommon in the league. Apparently Keating is now the favourite to start in that position. He is a good player but I don't think this is the time to start in there, I would rather see my own clubman get the nod in that position as he has played it many times before and I don't think either Down or Fermanagh are really that powerful so i feel he would cope in that aspect. He can really dictate the game from there so I'd like to see him there.

BallyhaiseMan

Is Jelly not struggling with injuries???
as everyone knows im a big fan of Givney,But i still question whether he has the speed at this time in his career for Senior Championship football.
Cant remember ever seeing Eugene Keating play Centre Back in any game ive seen him,in Vocational Schools,Minor etc.
If Eoin Smith isnt fit to go at full back,
The Fullback line in my opinion should be
Hannon Sheridan Fannin.

But Carr seems to prefer Brides to Fannin,for whatever reason, Wouldnt be suprised to see him get the nod over the drumgoon man.
McCutcheon and Flanagan for me are certs in the half back line,If Keating is put in at CHB,Rory Dunne could be the one to lose out.

Midfield will be Walsh and Galligan barring injury.

Forwards,difficult to pick due to injury problems to Jelly and Gerald.
if Both or one were injured,i think Carr would go with Cullivan/Givney at Full Forward.
If both are there, a Pierson,Jelly,Martin Reily full forward line is likely with the Killygarry man,dropping deeper to leave a two man full forward line.

put-it-up

Lads I honestly feel if Keating started CHB we are in serious trouble. He is too attack-minded and every time I've seen him play the defensive side if the game does not interest him. If he is going to get playing, it should be as a forward.

James Reilly will certainly be in goals but it is quite obvious places are still up for grabs in the fullback line. Killygarry's Eoin Smith is an option but he would be a gamble. Dermot Sheridan is most likely to wear number three on his back but Rory Dunne might just have something to say about that.

New Captain Ronan Flanagan will more than likely feature in the wing-back line although there is an option to deploy him as a forward. Paul Brady, will be at number six, while John McCutcheon, arguably Cavan's most improved players this year to get the nod to start. If Brady was unavailable, I would prob go with Podge at CB to hold the centre. Or move Fla in and put Dunne on the wing.

At midfield Ciaran Galligan looks a definite. Lorcan Mulvey failed to shine during the league campaign as did Nicolas Walsh. Due to his expierience Walsh will prob get the nod but he has a lot to prove.

The forward spots are the most keenly contested which is good news for us. Cian Mackey has been in superb form all year and if Martin Reilly and Mickey Lyng can pea, there will be plenty of scores and creativity coming from that line.

Seanie Johnston is a must. Yes, his attitude has been poor this year but an on from 'Jelly' is priceless in championship football. There are few better people in the country to put a ball over the bar under pressure. Alongside him I would leave to see Ger Pierson in the mix with Ray Cullivan playing 14 but been giving license to roam out the field and help out in the midfield section. On top of giving us another natural fielder of the ball at centre-field this will also leave space for the two sharpshooters inside to wreak havoc. Then with ten minutes to go, introduce Larry the Legend to swing over a score and send the Breffni supporters wild. ;) :D

Ah....let the football begin!

My Cavan 15 for championship:
James Reilly
Mickey Hannon
Dermot Sheridan
Eoin Smith
Ronan Flanagan
Paul Brady (if available)
John McCutcheon
Ciaran Galligan
Nicolas Walsh
Martin Reilly
Mickey Lyng
Cian Mackey
Seanie Johnston
Ray Cullivan
Ger Pierson - although Jayo is meant to be flying at the minute

BallyhaiseMan

Paul Brady Out with Handball
Eoin Smith Out??? with Hamstring pull(Rednblack confirmed this didnt he? )
Jelly struggling with injury
Pierson struggling with injuries

The team we start against Fermanagh/Down will probably be very different to what any of us have picked.

put-it-up

Yes I heard Jelly is struggling and wont feature in any challenge games but he should be ok for the championship opener.

I think Jayo is coming right at the minute and will start in the FF line.

Gunner is a big big loss

Lawrence of Knockbride

Quote from: whats my name on May 13, 2009, 09:21:01 AM
wel first of all wer not in the mafia so your ok lawrence and i think you should have flanigan in the team somewhere seen as he is the captain and is playing well.
I knew I shouldn't have tried to remember. Maybe I had him at wing-forward with Cullivan FF. Sorry, can't remember. Where's Hollow Man when you want a bit of archivin done.

cavan4sam

Jelly is apparently training by himself but is not getting involved in any contact, he will be available for the championship game though.

Keating played CHB for most of league last year for Cuchulainns and I think the reason they like him there is because he has excellent distribution. He does neglect his defensive duties, as pointed out, and that is why I would not like him there in the championship.