Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anglocelt39

Quote from: cavanmaniac on April 04, 2008, 11:56:26 AM
Delighted to see Johnny Crowe back. A bit of ball-busting ignorance is much required. I hope he's up to the pace of what should be a frantic enough encounter after so long out, but if he's doing well with his club that's encouraging on that score.

Here's hoping indeed. I have a bad feeling but I'll keep it to myself.

I have a bad feeling myself but not about this Sunday when I am going for a barnstorming performance on a par with our our five goal performance at the same venue a number of years ago against the Rossies. Cue ecstacy, an explosion of internet traffic, recalls to the panel for Rabbitte, Crowe, Gaynor, Gunner, McKenna, miracle cures for the Ailments of John Tierney/Paddy Brady and special one off returns from retirement by Mick Higgins, Peter Donoghue, Ray Carolan and Texas Brady; the enforced weeks break to accommodate the dubs allows our leader to organise a few extra lock in/bonding sessions before we snatch defeat from the jaws of victory against a down on their arse Rossie outfit resulting in relegation on points difference with the Rials getting out of jail

Next chapter has the Chicago 3 being replaced by the Chicago 15 in Summer but can't muster the energy for that one.

Hope ta jasus I'm wrong.
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

Hollow Man

Max, go back to Londonderry son, no Johnny Come Latelies wanted on this thread...

Ronan Fitzsimons, there's a name I forgot.... Speaking of Stephen Smith, remember your man David Sheridan ("nugget"), he was a bloody good player, as was another Mountnugent lad called Bernard Lee...

BallyhaiseMan

i didnt see Johnny Crowe coming to be honest, i thought he was out of the reckoning and consigned to a squad place, Delighted though,he brings  a bit of size and power.

jaysus this thread is bringing back the memories,

Keith Soden  a very good player, dont hear anything about him now

same as Gary McNamee

does Paul McEnroe even get on Goonie first team.

Ronan Farrely in fairness transferred to the Gaels from us, Played well for the Gaels against us a few weeks ago.

His younger brother Donal would have been playing midfield for us only he was sick.

cavan4sam

Gary McNamee is living in Liverpool and as far as i know, playing football is the last thing on his mind, Ronan Fitzsimons is in Australia to the best of knowledge and I'm not sure what the story is with Soden, think he is just a bit lazy to be honest.

Paul McEnroe was injured for a long time but is back playing for Drumgoon at Full Forward, someone please correct me if this is wrong

shotstopper1

Quote from: cavan4sam on April 04, 2008, 02:46:45 PM
I'm not sure what the story is with Soden, think he is just a bit lazy to be honest.

Your probably right there,although I heard he was giving a dressing down by a Ramor manager,in front of the rest of the players, a year or two ago for playing soccer and has since thrown his lot in with the local soccer club.( it was in a 7-a-side tournament in B'duff that he had played in, and Ronan Flanagan was on his team.)

anglocelt39

God this thread is gonna turn into Cavans best Minors that never made it!
[/quote]

Well sure if All Irelands were won on talk we'd have won the last 7 minor All Irelands so why not continue the fantasy long after the lads in question have disappeared into the blue yonder, suppose the one good angle to that is if it stops us talking about the curent crop of under 18 superstars..........
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

Homer

Quote from: cavan4ever on April 04, 2008, 10:20:58 AM
Anyone have any more news on the story about Lyng quitting the panel?

Sorry to break the news lads but its true. Apparently he's done a Joe Sheridan and left the panel as he just wasn't enjoying it.

boojangles

Very sad to hear that news-I cant imagine the frustration he has gone through in the last 3 years.Injury after injury.For a man so used to the high standards he set himself,it must have got too much for him to not b quite hitting those standards again.But judging by his performance against Cork he was definetley headin in the right direction.I just wonder what he's gonna do now.Mayb a break from the game might do him good? Id know a few clubs in America that would only b too happy to throw $$$$$ his way!

CC1

"Hey, don't worry; don't be afraid, ever, because this is just a ride."

Lawrence of Knockbride

So normal service is resumed. Should I moan? Do I have the right? Is there any point? 5 points all at half time and some decent play despite Johnston's double marking and his end-line magnet back in play. Yet out we came and managed 1 early point in the whole second half. McCabe was thrown in amongst the sea of backs on the edge of the square to save the day but alas it wasn't to be. A very strange game with Keoghan actually employing unorthodox tactics although I'm not quite sure what the overall plan was. Westmeath were equally strange, making two changes from the team named, including the feared Glennon, only for both men to be introduced by half-time with a total of four new faces lining out at the start of the second half.

A general run through as yours truly saw it:

Miller's kickouts seemed to blow/curl off to either wing in the first half and in the second he actually played a couple short (belatedly) to Jonny Crowe. Made a good, if "for the cameras" save in the first-half from Glennon and was generally ok. He needs to realise that he's not a protected species and that he doesn't have the right to walk through forwards just because he's the 'keeper. Brides and Hannon did ok, both coming out with the ball on numerous occasions. It's a pity Brides refuses to kick the ball. After a slow and very loose start Podge came into it more but according to the program and my own eyes it looks like Rabitte was listed on the subs. Did we not read on here that he had left some weeks ago?

Dermot Sheridan as usual looked swashbuckling going forward but loose when it came to defending. Forde had a good tussle with Dolan but some of his passing was brutal. Jonny Crowe was one of Keoghan's experiments with him sweeping but with his man doing the same for Westmeath and so Jonny was seen sporadically to make a burst up the field to find his man when the ball was dead. Did ok though.

The two midfielders competed well and we won more than our fair share of breaks in this area. McCabe took one free from the left sideline that he shouldn't have gone near and sent Westmeath on a counter attack ala  Fanin v Meath.

Flanagan had a good first half as did Martin Reilly but both faded very badly in the second with the latter repalced. Our lack of size was embaressing in this sector as time went on. McKeever never really got into despite trying hard. Johnston was off form. Double marked and trying to kick difficult points with the outside of the boot. In his defence, to say he was starved of service in the second half is an understatement. Jayo won a few balls and kicked a point from play (hurrrrrahhhhhhhhhh) but was also replaced. Eddie had his day out last week and wasn't doing great when he was withdrawn in the first half and replaced by the clueless, blind, drunk(?) Mackey. Seriously, this lad HAS to be the best trainer in the world because he's shocking otherwise.

In summary, we had no plan B once Johnston was double marked, and who could have guessed that would happen?! Keoghan's emotional words following our last victory about trying their best etc smells like the shite I suspected they were. It indeed appears Lyng is gone as is Rory Donohoe (?) I  still have hope as the players individually aren't doing too bad and if we can add Pierson & Sean Brady to a toothless forward line and if Jelly doesn't wobble like last summer we could still get a mini summer run.

Now someone fill in my gaps.

BallyhaiseMan

Keoghan should do the decent thing, and F**k off and resign.

i wasnt at the game, will be at the Rossie game even though it means nothing now,

Fair play to any of ye who made the trip

How did John Cunningham play? was he good, did he look like the heir apparent at midfield?

Hollow Man

Cunningham was dire, he doesn't look fit and he can't

a) get off the ground
b) catch the ball
c) kick the ball

It was obvious from about ten minutes into the second half that the game was going away from us but Keogan didn't respond, eventually he brought in Fannin for Martin Reilly (that was hardly going to radically change things), brought Mulvey into midfield (need I comment on this?) and stuck McCabe on the edge of the square, where he was surounded most of the time.

DK also hauled Eddie Reilly off midway through the first half - has he ever gone through a match without replacing someone in the first half, usually a corner forward?

Jelly and Jayo were inside on their own which meant that Mackey was out around the middle, he actualy got plenty of the ball but the poor lad can only do one thing, put down his head and go on a solo run. It just didnt work.

Flanagan started well but faded badly alright. Jelly wasn't great at all, albeit on a brutal supply of possession.

Still, we kicked about 15 wides I would say, shocking really. Westmeath are dung too, to be honest. Two shite teams.

Lawrence of Knockbride

I think you're being a bit harsh on Cunningham. If he survived the full 70 mins at midfield under Keoghan he can't be doing too badly. I should point out for those that weren't at the game that the wides, especially in the second half, were kicked from ridiculous positions and missed by ridiculous amounts. A few in the first half were unlucky with the wind playing a factor. Oh, I forgot to mention that Mulvey hit someone with a late shoulder in his cameo so mission accomplished Lorcan. I think I need a break from the Rossie game so I'll leave that one to you BH man.

BallyhaiseMan

Its going to have be a Nicholas Walsh(who isnt back training that long), Dermot McCabe midfield this year so.

surely Cunningham hasnt done enough to be there for the championship  :o

i like him as a player, but hes out of his depth at Midfield at IC level.

and we have no-one else.

what a lovely situation to be in eh Donal?  >:(

boojangles

Man Im just depresed after that tripe.I dont think I have ever seen such a bad 2nd half in all my life.Keoghan hasnt a clue,totally clueless.We did well in the 1st half,carrying the ball against the wind.Then Westmeath come out in 2nd half and play a extra man in front of our full-forward line.So what do we do,leave our extra man in defence as either Crowe,Brides,Sheridan and Forde.We were playing with the f**king wind and we leave our extra man in defence with us behind by 2 or 3 points.We played with 4 FORWARDS with the wind and Westmeath played 7 defenders.Jelly,Jason,Flanagan and Mackey against 7 defenders.How do you expect to win a game with such tactics? McKeever and Reilly spent most of the game in our half-back line.Number 5 and 7 were Westmeaths 2 best players because they more or less had nobody marking them.A total shambles.Plunkett began calling on Forde and the group of 4 or 5 players we had hanging round centre-field to push forward with 13 minutes to go.
I have said it before and Il say it again-John Cunningham is not a county footballer.played ok for about 5 minutes in the 1st half.He is not fast,not mobile,cant jump.cant catch,cant kick.Goes down with the slightest of raps.
Westmeath were brutal too but we were worse.No Ideas.Im just so annoyed looking at such tripe when we could do so much better with the players we have in most positions if we had a manager who can make moves along the line.I listened to as many as 15 grown men who have watched Cavan football all their life after the game and all said Keoghan has to go.They couldnt believe the lack of ideas and tactics or bad tactics.
Tell me some of the following players wouldnt b better than what we had out today.
Paul the Gunner
Martin Cahill
Larry Reilly
Ray Cullivan
Eamon Reilly Chesty
Micky Brennan
Niall Madden
Darren Rabitte
Most of these either wont play or werent asked back in.
But thinking about the whole lot,there is so much wrong with Cavan Football Im just too depressed to keep typing.