Panorama: Scientology

Started by gallsman, September 28, 2010, 10:09:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Quote from: Tyrones own on September 29, 2010, 07:56:04 PM
  :D Ah we're back to the old exit strategy.. Never mind what exactly? yes I corrected
your post but you then went on to correct an actual Dictionary definition  :-[
So it's pretty clear here that you don't actually know what it is about capitalism you don't like
when you couldn't discern the actual true definition of the word when you read it!
You corrected my post. Then you post, quoting someone without a link of course, to a thread which is about Scientology. Your simplistic definition of capitalism doesn't contradict my understanding of it in any way. The capitalist link was simple. People sell something (an idea in this case) to those stupid enough to part with their money to buy into it. That is capitalism. It is allowed in any western country but wouldn't be allowed in a Communist country.

Is he really Muppet..cause as evidenced by your lack of understanding of the basic meaning of the word above, you're getting your ideals on the subject processed somewhere and Moore is the true useful idiot of Anti-Capitalism the world over after all :-\

Moore's commentary and style is for the American market, his preference for style over substance means he is only a mild curiosity outside the States.
MWWSI 2017

tyssam5

Quote from: Tyrones own on September 28, 2010, 10:57:09 PM
Ah sure it's nothing short of a cult...ye know with brainwashed idiots in it's ranks similar to the following Obama had in getting elected,
only difference being of course is that with Scientology, unlike the other cnut and his policies, the only people getting cleaned out are the
Gobshites that sign up for it!
Ironic though that they are both under the guise of helping those less fortunate  ::)

3rd post, thread derailed entirely, nicely done sir!

Tony Baloney

Quote from: tyssam5 on September 29, 2010, 10:27:54 PM
Ah sure it's nothing short of a cult...ye know with brainwashed idiots in it's ranks similar to the following Obama had in getting elected,
only difference being of course is that with Scientology, unlike the other cnut and his policies, the only people getting cleaned out are the
Ironic though that they are both under the guise of helping those less fortunate  ::)

TO is a senior Scientologist.

screenexile

Aye God there's nothing worse than looking on a thread to discuss something only for it to be taken over by a nonsense slagging match. . . go home ladies!

Have to say Scientology is something that fascinates me. On the outside it does seem to do a lot of good with education programmes it's charity work etc. I also don't doubt that there are some decent people involved in the organisation. However watching the 2 Panorama documentaries would seem to suggest that the leadership is very sinister and that the core of the organisation would seem to be rotten.

My honest opinion would be that Hubbard was a con man who preyed upon vulnerable people and made a lot of money out of them. Others have taken over his work and are beginning to get found out which is why they resort to following people who try and investigate the Church. I hope it isn't around too much longer but it seems like it won't go away!

Tyrones own

Quote from: tyssam5 on September 29, 2010, 10:27:54 PM

Maybe but you're 28 posts late in bringing on the drama... :'( Not to worry...I just checked, the sky is still up there ::)
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

Tyrones own

Posted by: muppet
QuoteThen you post, quoting someone without a link of course,
QuoteYour simplistic definition of capitalism doesn't contradict my understanding of it in any way
That would be Merriam-Webster and should I apologize if the dictionary definition is too simplistic for you... intellectually
speaking of course ::) :D
QuoteThe capitalist link was simple. People sell something (an idea in this case) to those stupid enough to part with their money to buy into it. That is capitalism
Eh Ok though it is a tad simplistic  ;) ... why do you say it like it's a bad thing, should the government (cause that's what's happening here under Obama) step in then and attempt to idiot proof everything
to protect the few stupid ones..where does it stop ???
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

muppet

Quote from: Tyrones own on September 30, 2010, 01:22:15 AM
Posted by: muppet
QuoteThen you post, quoting someone without a link of course,
QuoteYour simplistic definition of capitalism doesn't contradict my understanding of it in any way
That would be Merriam-Webster and should I apologize if the dictionary definition is too simplistic for you... intellectually
speaking of course ::) :D
QuoteThe capitalist link was simple. People sell something (an idea in this case) to those stupid enough to part with their money to buy into it. That is capitalism
Eh Ok though it is a tad simplistic  ;) ... why do you say it like it's a bad thing, should the government (cause that's what's happening here under Obama) step in then and attempt to idiot proof everything
to protect the few stupid ones..where does it stop ???

You use of the dictionary was simplistic because you didn't bother with context. Nowhere did I suggest that Obama should step in, on the contrary my original point was that you be against intervention of such a capitalist structure and you have proven that nicely in your post.

As for where does it stop, sin sceal eile.
MWWSI 2017

quit yo jibbajabba

Quote from: screenexile on September 29, 2010, 10:46:32 PM
Aye God there's nothing worse than looking on a thread to discuss something only for it to be taken over by a nonsense slagging match. . . go home ladies!

Have to say Scientology is something that fascinates me. On the outside it does seem to do a lot of good with education programmes it's charity work etc. I also don't doubt that there are some decent people involved in the organisation. However watching the 2 Panorama documentaries would seem to suggest that the leadership is very sinister and that the core of the organisation would seem to be rotten.

My honest opinion would be that Hubbard was a con man who preyed upon vulnerable people and made a lot of money out of them. Others have taken over his work and are beginning to get found out which is why they resort to following people who try and investigate the Church. I hope it isn't around too much longer but it seems like it won't go away!

indeed. this thread disappoints;
watched it myself, thought of them as a sinister enough looking bunch, what with all them cameras pointing everywhere...also thought of it as sounding like a bit of a money racket (to say the least)...but then again all religious organisations could be guilty of this to an extent.
Anytime i threaten to take religion too seriously im reminded of a comedians quote one time, "its like were arguing over who has the best imaginary friend".....

apoloies TO and muppett, back to yous again....

muppet

Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on September 30, 2010, 04:18:30 PM
Quote from: screenexile on September 29, 2010, 10:46:32 PM

indeed. this thread disappoints;
watched it myself, thought of them as a sinister enough looking bunch, what with all them cameras pointing everywhere...also thought of it as sounding like a bit of a money racket (to say the least)...but then again all religious organisations could be guilty of this to an extent.
Anytime i threaten to take religion too seriously im reminded of a comedians quote one time, "its like were arguing over who has the best imaginary friend".....

apoloies TO and muppett, back to yous again....

I'm off to celebrate on the new Mayo manager thread............
MWWSI 2017

muppet

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/jan/03/scientologist-email-debbie-cook-miscavige

A rare expression of internal dissent has broken out in the world of Scientology, with one of its most senior figures sending a mass email to 12,000 fellow members complaining that the self-styled church has become obsessed with fundraising and has amassed unused reserves of over $1bn (£640m).
MWWSI 2017

Puckoon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFBZ_uAbxS0

Thought this might have been posted on here before. Mr Cruise speaks Scientology.