Brian Cody RTE Man Of The Match

Started by galwayman, May 13, 2013, 09:56:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

galwayman

Was reading an article in the Irish Times today with Ger Loughnane, Des Cahill & Pat Spillane.

Loughnane mentions the year Kilkenny hammered Waterford in the AI final. Apparently Brian Cody got the RTE man of the match award that night. That's the first time I heard that.
Surely that makes a mockery of the whole award? Talk about a joke.

http://www.irishtimes.com/the-majority-of-the-people-watching-aren-t-into-serious-analysis-tv-is-entertainment-1.1389408

AZOffaly

Jaysus, talk about old news :D Yes, back then the feeling was Kilkenny were so awesome as a team that the man responsible for putting them together was the man of the match. Sure them yokes are only a bit of craic anyway..

galwayman

QuoteJaysus, talk about old news :)

Old news for sure. I dunno how I managed to miss it at the time :)
Just thought it very strange.

I dunno - I still think getting the RTE motm in an AI final is a big honour for a player.
Will always remember Mikey Donnellan getting it in 98 after the football final

blanketattack

The Dublin manager Kevin Heffernan won player of the year in 1974.
Giggs won player of the year a few years ago when he clearly was nowhere near even the top 20 players that season but there was no standout player that season so won it mainly due to longevity

muppet

Quote from: blanketattack on May 13, 2013, 10:47:02 PM
The Dublin manager Kevin Heffernan won player of the year in 1974.
Giggs won player of the year a few years ago when he clearly was nowhere near even the top 20 players that season but there was no standout player that season so won it mainly due to longevity

Jebus Tony Browne should be winning it every year in that case.
MWWSI 2017

Asal Mor

Yeah it probably would otherwise have gone to Eddie Brennan who hit a couple of early goals to kill the game off early. I think Paddy Power paid out on all Kilkenny players for man of the mat bets.

deiseach

Quote from: galwayman on May 13, 2013, 10:42:43 PM
Old news for sure. I dunno how I managed to miss it at the time :)

Alas, no one missed the match - apart from the Waterford team. Ah well.