Working/Living In Australia

Started by galwayman, November 23, 2008, 10:57:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

galwayman

Hi all. Myself and the other half have been considering for a while the possibility of working abroad for a few years and experiencing a different way of life in another country for a while.
I know there's a few on the board here who live in Oz.
I don't really know anything of the ins and outs of getting a working Visa for Australia so would appreciate any advice that people could give me...
Am I right in saying that the 12 month visas people usually get to travel around Oz only allow people to work in any one job for a maximum of 3 months at a time?
Is it possible to get a working visa that would allow me to work in Oz for longer than 12 months? I am a software developer with 5 years experience btw.
If visa requirements were satisfied - what would be a good part of Oz to experience working/living in?
Apologies if any of these questions sound a bit ridiculous but I really have no knowledge about australia at all.

MaroonAndWhite

Thinkin of headin that way myself....theres a "Living Down Under Expo" in the Galway Bay Hotel this coming Thursday. Think its in the evening...there were ads on Galway Bay FM all last week so if ya tune in for a half hour this week the ad will be on again no doubt.

That should answer any queries ya have re visas et al

stephenite

OK - first off, I couldn't recommend it highly enough, even if it is only for 12 months it's good to get out and live elsewhere for a while.

The 3 months contract rule no longer exists for the working holiday visa - you can now work 6 month contracts as far as I know. Everyone has their own favourite parts of Australia, I'm based in Sydney and love the lifestyle over here, climate just about right, but if I was any further west or north I'd struggle with the heat. Melbourne is nice, but don't know the city well enough except to say that i have a friend living down there who worked in SAP in Dublin for over 7 years, has plenty of other experience and still can't get any sort of a job, Perth is booming but Aerlik would be more qualified to give you the run down on life out there, Brisbane is fantastic, bit too hot for me most of the year. Canberra is a shit hole.

There is apparently plenty of work in your own field but with the current global downturn there are as many Aussies applying for work as those that are coming in from abroad.

If you went through one of the Aussie recruitment firms you could get a working visa for 4 years and I know a few developers from Ireland /UK on that visa, if you just wanted a job to tide you over for a couple of weeks before you went travelling you'd pick up one up handy for less money obviously. I suppose you'd want to make a decision about whether you wanted to spend the time travelling or were looking to settle down somewhere for a couple of years

new devil

Thinking of heading myself shortly....could i get a 4 year visa being a qualified electrician and would i need a sponsor?

stephenite

Quote from: new devil on November 24, 2008, 02:10:47 AM
Thinking of heading myself shortly....could i get a 4 year visa being a qualified electrician and would i need a sponsor?

To be honest, I've no idea. I'd imagine that you'd be able to get a 4 year visa, but this website is probably the first port of call for anyone with notions about travelling over and should answer a lot of questions re Visas

http://www.immi.gov.au/

Aerlik

I can't advise on the visa entry procedures as I used mini-me to get me in so to speak.  But I'm happy to give you the low-down on life in the Golden West.  There's a lurker from Meath on here too and if I say something wrong about Perth, he'll have a go at me.  Isn't that right Colm?
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

mick999

The 457 sponsored visa is the way to go ...
Its a 4 year visa, which also normally (depending on the company) comes with a Living Away From Home Allowance (LAFHA) . This effectively means that your rental costs for the 4 years are fully tax free ...
The Irish Echo has a great free magazine with lots of info on what to do ... Lots of agencies advertising in it as well ...
You can download it from http://www.irishecho.com.au/downunder.asp

Declan

Thoroughly recommend it for anyone thinking of changing - Minimum anyone should do is at least 2 years as you'll have a fair idea then if it's the place for you. Links given in the other posts should give you all the jnfo you need.

JimStynes

Is anyone in based Western Australia at the moment? If so could you tell me the craic with a few things?

Whats the jobs in Perth or Fremantle like at the moment. Me and the girlfriend are landing in Perth on the 17th of February and we are looking to get work quite soon. I want to do some labouring kind of work but with the recession and all that i have heard that the building trade in OZ is away to f**k like the rest of the world. Anyone know where to go and look or who to contact for some work.  I am also looking to play some football while i am in Australia, who is good club to play for in Perth?

I need somewhere to live. Is there any specific areas that i should be looking for and how much should i be paying per week/month?

I have been to Melbourne and Sydney a few years ago but havent a clue about Perth really so any advice would be appreciated.

The last thing is do you know any farmers or have you heard of any farmers you will sign a form for me that gets me another year working holiday visa. I have heard about people who have got farmers to sign the form that says you have done 3 months work in the outback, this then gets you an extra visa for Australia.

Thanks

ludermor

Electricians find it very hard to get work, your qualification is not recognised over there so you have to pass their equivalent . Im not sure how tough this is or how long it takes but its a major pain for this trade ( and plumbers)

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: ludermor on February 05, 2009, 04:26:08 PM
Electricians find it very hard to get work, your qualification is not recognised over there so you have to pass their equivalent . Im not sure how tough this is or how long it takes but its a major pain for this trade ( and plumbers)

Not sure if it is as bad as it was..
I had a tough time getting work as a Electrician when I was there back in 2002 I ended up doing Plastering for a few months  :D..They wouldn't employ you unless you had the Oz Electrical exams done..
I know fellas who went in the last year or two and had no problems getting work as Sparks without doing the exams over there..
Granted I'd say a lot of them were working off the books but sure if your only there for a year it wouldn't matter and if you wanted to stay 3 or 4 years you could be doing your exams and still be earning good money working for cash as a sparks and when you passed your exmas you could then apply for proper contract work..
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Aerlik

Jim Stynes, PM me and I'll see what I can do for you.  NO promises as my industry is in no way related to the construction industry but I will say that things are definitely slowing down in the west.  House prices in Perth have fallen by nearly 10% in under a year and this is usually a good indication of things in the State in general.  However, I have read that there are farmers who are willing to give people a go especially if they have a trade.  However it's not like home, a 10 minute drive to the local corner shop;   you and your wummin will be many miles from anywhere especially north of Perth.  It is starting to cool down too.  Only 28C in Perth today.
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

JimStynes

whiskeysteve

Question for aussie contingent,

remembered this thread from a while back... just been browsing through jobs online and seen there were a few engineering jobs down under and NZ. Not mad serious on applying but just curious... they all stipulate that you already have to be eligible to live and work in australia.

Does this mean you would have to ship out over a grand or whatever to get a visa just to start applying? I know there are cheaper work and travel visas but they are limited to 6 months? work limit...

basically like to know: how much would you have to shell out before you could feel free to apply for jobs?
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

The Subbie

Quote from: whiskeysteve on May 12, 2010, 12:11:58 AM
Question for aussie contingent,

remembered this thread from a while back... just been browsing through jobs online and seen there were a few engineering jobs down under and NZ. Not mad serious on applying but just curious... they all stipulate that you already have to be eligible to live and work in australia.

Does this mean you would have to ship out over a grand or whatever to get a visa just to start applying? I know there are cheaper work and travel visas but they are limited to 6 months? work limit...

basically like to know: how much would you have to shell out before you could feel free to apply for jobs?

Going meself in 6 weeks, got a 457 visa sponsered by a large construction company working there thru a contact i had from a few years ago, worked with the guy on a few bigish jobs here, am at site manager level for heavy civils works.
I would imagine you should just fire the cv at them and see if any of them bite ,what have you got to lose? you only have to make a decision when some of them start offering you something.

The way i look at it is that it can't be worse than here at the minute and the old failsafe of england is looking dodgy @ the minute, what state will they be in in 12 months time?

Its gonna be tough to say cherrio to everyone and be skypeing back home on the championship Sunday on a monday morn but the $ are there to made  not here.

I'll be based in Sydney and a few lads i know are already working  for the same firm and they say that finding accom is the hardest bit, I'm going with herself so am looking for something decent but rent seems to high, kinda same level as Dublin 7 or 8 years ago.

Anyone got any suggestions on where to look and where to avoid in the Inner West ?