Vaping

Started by TabClear, August 17, 2018, 01:13:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TabClear

Just wondering what the general consensus on vaping is? Some UK MPs pushing for a more widespread acceptance of vaping in public. It does seem to be getting a lot more popular in Ireland.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/vaping-trains-public-transport-ecigarettes-smoking-trains-health-risks-cancer-symptoms-a8495186.html

Milltown Row2

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

general_lee

I'd echo milltowns sentiments

DuffleKing

How long before the first study highlights the harmful long term effects?

TabClear

Quote from: general_lee on August 17, 2018, 01:53:48 PM

Same as that. Just hope it does not become more accepted in the likes of pubs, trains etc. Regardless of whether there are any health effects, its still annoying.

magpie seanie

Quote from: TabClear on August 17, 2018, 02:21:08 PM
Quote from: general_lee on August 17, 2018, 01:53:48 PM

Same as that. Just hope it does not become more accepted in the likes of pubs, trains etc. Regardless of whether there are any health effects, its still annoying.

Even if it's perfectly safe for everyone (which I doubt) I don't want it happening around me.

johnnycool

Ever drive or see someone Vaping out a car window? You'd think there was a fire in the car.

There's some amount of vapour off those things!

Puckoon

Serious money being poured into this by the tobacco companies from a pharmaceutical safety perspective - but it's a race to have the first "safe" product among thousands that are already on the market and unregulated.

It isn't just the nature of the vape product itself that isn't understood - but the leachable and extractable potential from the plastics and components that make up the unit when exposed to heat, pressure, humidity etc.. has not even come close to being understood. You may not be inhaling a lot of the by products of the traditional nicotine cigarette - but lord knows what you're pulling out of the plastic and metals of a cheaply constructed vaporizer.

The Iceman

great invention.... my nephew started vaping with his friends at 14 and 15 - they all do he says.  It's a painless way to learn how to smoke. Doesn't turn as many away. at 17 he's now smoking real cigarettes and plenty of weed.  Big tobacco know what they're at
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Puckoon

E-cigs and Vaping certainly wasn't a Big Tobacco invention Iceman. They're just better at running with it due to their resources and limitless R&D budgets. Whatever your business is, and whatever you think about the right and wrong of it - as long as its legal it behooves the companies to be the best they can be at it.

The Iceman

sorry, my message might have implied otherwise but I knew they didn't invent it but they certainly know what to do with it. I think it will lead more young people to smoking. 
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Puckoon

Yeah it doesn't help but I think we are still trending in the right direction. 40/50 years ago the smoking rate in the US was about 45% of the adult population. I think we are down around the 12-15% rate at the moment which is to be applauded and correlated with increased education, social awareness and smoking bans. I read somewhere that the difference between high school graduates and college graduates in smoking rates is almost 7 or 8 fold.

Applesisapples

I know there is loads of research that will take time. However if you inhale shit into your lungs that is not fresh air then I don't see the upside. It's like saying to an alcoholic, sure that beer is only 5% so its better for you than that whiskey at 40%.