Gaa rules that could improve other sports or vice versa

Started by TabClear, May 07, 2016, 07:40:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TabClear

I knowthere  is a gaa rules topic but this one is a bit wider in terms of all sports.   I was watching aussie rules earlier and I know there has been a few experiments with bringing the Mark into gaa etc.  While that didn't work there are a couple of rules I think would be interesting to trial.

The first is playing on from a free kick.  I don't mean advantage, rather a player who had been fouled can get up and play on himself whether that be by running on with the ball or more importantly fisting the ball to a team mate. Really speeds up the game and reduces the benefit of cynical fouls as offending team doesn't have time to reset defensively

The second is a 50 metre penalty for dissent or kicking ball away etc.  Really hurts a team and might get rid of some of the mouthing rather than a 10 metre one.  This is one I would love to see introduced in soccer.  Mouth at the ref and ball gets moved up the pitch.

One rule that I think would work in soccer is the late tackle rule.  If your late in a tackle the free kick is either from where the ball lands or say 30m down field.

trileacman

Interesting thread but doubt If it'll catch on. All the successful threads round here focus on something everyone hates because we're all such miserable bastards. Hence the reason the Man U thread is on 5000 pages or something.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

trileacman

And if I'd copy a rule from other Sports it'd would probably be from rugby where only the team captain gets to mouth off to the officials. It creates respect for them that is sadly lacking in gaa and absent in soccer.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

laoislad

Quote from: trileacman on May 07, 2016, 11:30:45 PM
Interesting thread but doubt If it'll catch on. All the successful threads round here focus on something everyone hates because we're all such miserable b**tards. Hence the reason the Man U thread is on 5000 pages or something.
A thread is not a thread until someone starts posting about Northern Ireland or Roscommon.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

ONeill

We need to take rugby's lead and have Coulter write a new song for GAA matches.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Rossfan

One thing for sure no one will post about bloody Laois anyway.
Time to divide it up among its neighbours  ;D
The one about only the captain asking the Ref about decisions is a good one alright.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

gallsman

Quote from: trileacman on May 07, 2016, 11:33:14 PM
And if I'd copy a rule from other Sports it'd would probably be from rugby where only the team captain gets to mouth off to the officials. It creates respect for them that is sadly lacking in gaa and absent in soccer.

It is an absolute myth of world rugby that it's a gentleman's game where everyone respects the ref. McCaw, Robshaw, Paulie, Warburton, Hartley etc. Could go on and on. Every one of then a mouth.

From the Bunker

Quote from: trileacman on May 07, 2016, 11:33:14 PM

The talking to the Captain is alright for Rugby as players are grouped together often. Can you imagine an incident in the Dublin full forward line and the referee waiting for Cluxton to come up to tell him about his decision. Then the craic as the opposition take a quick free with Cluxton out of position. You see it sounds simple, but it aint!

FL/MAYO

From ice hockey I would bring in the sin bin for 10 minutes in GAA instead of the  Black Card.
There should be a time limit on 45's,free kicks and substitutions, 30 seconds max something similar to what happens in American football.

TabClear

Quote from: FL/MAYO on May 08, 2016, 01:59:06 AM
From ice hockey I would bring in the sin bin for 10 minutes in GAA instead of the  Black Card.
There should be a time limit on 45's,free kicks and substitutions, 30 seconds max something similar to what happens in American football.

Sin bin I think is a great idea.  Problem I Could see is implementing it at club level. Would be difficult for the tref to implement on his own.

brokencrossbar1

I like the idea of the 'tap' free kick and the dissent rule to bring it 50 metres. I would go a step further on the dissent rule. Any dissent on the field and the team gets a 21 yard free in front of the goals. I've always thought too that a cumulative team fouls rule similar to basketball would be great. Say 10 team fouls per half and then it's a 21 yard free

ardtole

In rugby, when a player is down injured, the medics can come on and treat the player while play continues. This would help combat time wasting and cyncism, it would probably benefit soccer more than gaa, but it is becoming a problem in gaelic.

BennyCake

Quote from: ONeill on May 08, 2016, 12:01:05 AM
We need to take rugby's lead and have Coulter write a new song for GAA matches.

I take it youre having a laugh?

seafoid

Sin bin
ice hockey has independent time management
Rugby has zero lip to the ref
Soccer has extra time for drawn big matches
Rugby has the TV link to the ref
Many sports have pitch invasions
No other sport would employ Ger Canning
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Denn Forever

Quote from: seafoid on May 08, 2016, 02:34:20 PM
Sin bin
ice hockey has independent time management
Rugby has zero lip to the ref
Soccer has extra time for drawn big matches
Rugby has the TV link to the ref
Many sports have pitch invasions
No other sport would employ Ger Canning

Most of these are used in Ladies football.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...