3 (3.3%)
football and horses frequently
21 (23.3%)
anything that moves whenever, wherever
7 (7.8%)

Total Members Voted: 90

screenexile

Quote from: trailer on May 17, 2018, 11:25:45 AM
People need to take personal responsibility. Drink, drugs, gambling. Everything is addictive. Children should be taught self control. That ability to know when enough is enough.

That was tried . . .

screenexile

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 17, 2018, 11:42:28 AM
Quote from: Minder on May 17, 2018, 08:57:22 AM
Quote from: Hardy on May 17, 2018, 08:54:14 AM
They need to be banned altogether. It's legalised robbery.

Unsurprisingly the bookmakers are threatening thousands of job losses if this comes into effect

Job losses? Is that the people who make them and maintain the MACHINES?

The machines will still be made and maintained elswhere, unless they employed someone to turn them off and on

The job losses are with the betting shops. They are unsustainable without the money people piss away into FOBT's!!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: screenexile on May 17, 2018, 11:44:18 AM

Unsurprisingly the bookmakers are threatening thousands of job losses if this comes into effect

The machines will still be made and maintained elswhere, unless they employed someone to turn them off and on

The job losses are with the betting shops. They are unsustainable without the money people piss away into FOBT's!!

There are two people at a time working in them? Will they just close them and expect everyone to go online? they won't close. Licence to print money... And if they do close people will find other jobs
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Boycey

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 17, 2018, 11:47:24 AM

There are two people at a time working in them? Will they just close them and expect everyone to go online? they won't close. Licence to print money... And if they do close people will find other jobs

You're miles off there Milltown no harm to you.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Boycey on May 17, 2018, 11:59:47 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 17, 2018, 11:47:24 AM

You're miles off there Milltown no harm to you.

If I am and the bookies close down then I'll accept that, but I feel that they will stay open.. and if they do close then it should save people money on using the machines
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Insane Bolt

Can't wait for Sean Graham's closing down sale😂

Boycey

I've worked in the gaming industry most of my adult life and know for a fact that many bookies shops exist solely for those FOBTs. This article explains it better than I could and bear in mind its from a few years back and the yield from FOBTs is probably higher now.

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-22934305

Closing the shops won't stop gamblers they're like druggies/alcoholics they will just find their fix somewhere else unfortunately.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Boycey on May 17, 2018, 12:53:51 PM
I've worked in the gaming industry most of my adult life and know for a fact that many bookies shops exist solely for those FOBTs. This article explains it better than I could and bear in mind its from a few years back and the yield from FOBTs is probably higher now.

Closing the shops won't stop gamblers they're like druggies/alcoholics they will just find their fix somewhere else unfortunately.

That may be the case and possibly for 2/3 of the people who go to the bookie shop they wont touch the machines.. They wont be missed, and if that forces someone to go online and do it then that needs regulated stronger also..

I would have a bet most weekends, and if I have anything left in my online account I'll snipe away during the week, but we are talking a couple pound here and there, but to watch (I'm only in briefly) on a Sat afternoon these fellas (and the odd woman) throw their dosh into those machine is unreal! Seen a lad throw £50 on 29 on roulette! nut job

But as you say, they will find other places to do it, might as well start somewhere though

Boycey

Just to back up what I said earlier, take a look at the graphic in that article in relation to money over the counter vs money into those FOBTs

https://www.bbc.com/sport/horse-racing/44152194

johnnycool

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 17, 2018, 01:10:06 PM

That may be the case and possibly for 2/3 of the people who go to the bookie shop they wont touch the machines.. They wont be missed, and if that forces someone to go online and do it then that needs regulated stronger also..

I would have a bet most weekends, and if I have anything left in my online account I'll snipe away during the week, but we are talking a couple pound here and there, but to watch (I'm only in briefly) on a Sat afternoon these fellas (and the odd woman) throw their dosh into those machine is unreal! Seen a lad throw £50 on 29 on roulette! nut job

But as you say, they will find other places to do it, might as well start somewhere though

Lad at worked was telling me this morning he spunked £3500 on those machines in a day, "addictive as fu*k" was his take on them.  £25 a go he was doing.

That's mad Ted.

TabClear

Quote from: johnnycool on May 17, 2018, 04:27:44 PM

Lad at worked was telling me this morning he spunked £3500 on those machines in a day, "addictive as fu*k" was his take on them.  £25 a go he was doing.

That's mad Ted.

That is crazy. Could he "afford" to loose it? What I mean is that there is probably a relatively small proportion of the population who would actually be able to access £3500 cash off the cuff. Even if I had it in my account I am limited to £500 per day from an ATM. I physically would not be able to go through that much cash without calling in at a bank. 

An Watcher

Gambling is every bit as bad if not worse than drink and drugs.  Too much money being made from them so governments turn a blind eye.

bennydorano

Got my bookies lotto numbers up last night 350/1 - 3 numbers from 7😁

johnnycool

Quote from: TabClear on May 17, 2018, 04:45:02 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on May 17, 2018, 04:27:44 PM

That's mad Ted.

That is crazy. Could he "afford" to loose it? What I mean is that there is probably a relatively small proportion of the population who would actually be able to access £3500 cash off the cuff. Even if I had it in my account I am limited to £500 per day from an ATM. I physically would not be able to go through that much cash without calling in at a bank.

A mixture of months salary and whatever savings he had.

His ma still gets his pay and gives him it to him in weekly installments as he can't trust himself. This is a mid thirties lad with three kids....