Tyrone Club Football and Hurling

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Golden Years

Quote from: Tyrone95 on October 25, 2018, 04:42:37 PM
Clithero and Sludden spent manys a sunday night/monday morning about the Old charm inn when we were winning championships  ::)

Is right,  I mind Sludden falling asleep in Teens after the 2005 final and one of the players drawing over his face with a  marker.  When he woke and found out he took it in the spirit it was intended. A joke.  I think he was the referee in that final also.

Under Lights

Post the pictures of Sludden or it didn't happen.

The Golden Years

Quote from: Under Lights on October 26, 2018, 08:41:03 AM
Post the pictures of Sludden or it didn't happen.

13 years ago mate.  The culture of photographing everything hadn't started then.  If you dont believe me then i am not really bothered.

WT4E

Division 2 should be interesting at the bottom this weekend - we're now guaranteed to be away in a playoff due to tintown beat us (and not doing enough ourselves all year to be fair). So will be an interested spectator of a lot of games as it could be any one of about 5 to join us.

Greencastle v Moortown is a big game as both in bother however think Greencastle will take it as they are at home and seemed to have turned around after a bad start.
Aghaloo v Gortin - Aghaloo expected to win here as Gortin players wedding day before and they have nothing to play for as guaranteed home in playoff unless Dungannon thump Strabane
Urney v Eglish  - obviously under normal circumstances you would expect Eglish to win handy however i'd say they will have trouble gathering up 15 players for that long trip considering they have the cup in the cabinet. So Urney win here
Dungannon v Strabane - this one for me is the hardest call as depends on what Dungannons motives are - from their recent game with us it looked like they where motoring looking promotion but they have already guaranteed playoff so do they hand Strabane the points and risk losing momentum or do they go for it and hope they can beat Strabane out the gate and sneak a home tie in playoff?

For me it will be either Moortown or Strabane to join us. But probably a twist in the tail somewhere. :)

TyroneOnlooker

WT4E you say stewartstown 'duped' you. Are you saying that you had an agreement that they would give you the points (presumably in return for agreeing to move match forward) and then went out and beat you?

I've always wondered about this handing out points. How does it work. Do all 30 players need to be in on it? Does the ref? Does one team stop tackling and let the other score. Have never been on the end of it myself and wouldn't want to be. Teams get what they deserve from a season. That's sport.

Under Lights

Quote from: TyroneOnlooker on October 26, 2018, 10:11:10 AM
WT4E you say stewartstown 'duped' you. Are you saying that you had an agreement that they would give you the points (presumably in return for agreeing to move match forward) and then went out and beat you?

I've always wondered about this handing out points. How does it work. Do all 30 players need to be in on it? Does the ref? Does one team stop tackling and let the other score. Have never been on the end of it myself and wouldn't want to be. Teams get what they deserve from a season. That's sport.

Need to ask someone in Donaghmore pal. They know all about that sort of thing.

WT4E

I would prefer it didnt happen myself but it happens every year - it doesn't really work how you describe it take Aghaloo and Gortin this weekend. Aghaloo will win but Gortin wont be trying to lose they know Aghaloo need the points and they will have had a rough weekend.

GetOverTheBar

Lads your being extremely naive, the ref is never involved. Why should they care, they are still picking up their money.

It's pretty much unspoken what will happen, most of the time it's fairly obvious. Sometimes one teams manager will choose that game to 'blood' the reserves / younger lads and going round it that way. Although I've actually played in a game that a manager told us to 'ease up in the last 10 minutes'

I'm told in the case of Kildress, they were that bad they beat themselves.

Over the Bar

Quote from: Frank_The_Tank on October 25, 2018, 05:01:52 PM
Quote from: Tyrone95 on October 25, 2018, 04:42:37 PM
Clithero and Sludden spent manys a sunday night/monday morning about the Old charm inn when we were winning championships  ::)

Did they referee the final you had just won?

Paddy Russell and his wife were at the Dublin banquet in 1995. What's the difference?

WT4E

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on October 26, 2018, 10:39:32 AM
Lads your being extremely naive, the ref is never involved. Why should they care, they are still picking up their money.

It's pretty much unspoken what will happen, most of the time it's fairly obvious. Sometimes one teams manager will choose that game to 'blood' the reserves / younger lads and going round it that way. Although I've actually played in a game that a manager told us to 'ease up in the last 10 minutes'

I remember playing in a match where a draw was the best result for both teams. The game was tied up as it should be with 5 to go and their keeper came out the field and started to play around with it - he tried to fist it over my head and i intercepted and there was no one between me and his goal the ref (who i wont name but well known ex ref)blew it up about 2 seconds after i got the ball and said to me i blew that up before you did something stupid..... i probably would of missed in any event! :)

The ref wasn't in on it but he knew what was going on.

There needs to be changes to stop this happen every year but its a hard one to tackle.

trailer

Quote from: WT4E on October 26, 2018, 11:20:05 AM

I remember playing in a match where a draw was the best result for both teams. The game was tied up as it should be with 5 to go and their keeper came out the field and started to play around with it - he tried to fist it over my head and i intercepted and there was no one between me and his goal the ref (who i wont name but well known ex ref)blew it up about 2 seconds after i got the ball and said to me i blew that up before you did something stupid..... i probably would of missed in any event! :)

There needs to be changes to stop this happen every year but its a hard one to tackle.

Put simply, it's match fixing. But in reality the GAA have bigger problems than this sort of carry on at the fag end of the season. As someone said above you want to have your games won all year so you're not relying on another team to do you a favour.

square_ball

And if leagues are wrapped up before championship it would reduce it further but that's a whole different conversation.

TabClear

Quote from: WT4E on October 26, 2018, 11:20:05 AM

FFS, if you were any kind of a forward  the ball should have been in the back of the net by then!  ;) ;)

Therealdonald

I remember a good few years back reading on this about Loughmacrory playing someone (think it was Ardboe) and the lough needed a draw to stay safe but the team they were playing had a championship game the week after and played a weakened team . Anyway it turned out the Lough coach at the time was basically uncle or something to 8 of the opposition players, but to get to the point, the Lough scored a goal to level the game and a Prominent Tyrone refereeing official from the Lough ran on to the field and told the ref to blow it up with 5 mins left when it was a draw.

That my friends is how you fix a match!!!

Under Lights

Quote from: square_ball on October 26, 2018, 03:42:05 PM
And if leagues are wrapped up before championship it would reduce it further but that's a whole different conversation.

Need less games, therefore less teams, hopefully fintona get the message