A United Ireland. Opening up the discussion.

Started by winghalfback, May 27, 2015, 03:16:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AhNowRef

Quote from: Avondhu star on June 01, 2017, 07:05:32 PM
Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on June 01, 2017, 07:01:33 PM
Quote from: AhNowRef on June 01, 2017, 06:47:13 PM
Quote from: dec on June 01, 2017, 05:19:00 PM
Quote from: AhNowRef on June 01, 2017, 04:39:39 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on June 01, 2017, 03:44:58 PM
The evolution of the 6 county population

Thats excellent ... whens that from exactly ? .. i..e what date are these figures from & are they from a census or what?

At this link it says 2014

http://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=241162.0

Quote from: armaghniac on June 01, 2017, 06:18:19 PM
I imagine this is based on the 2011 census, which would imply that things had already moved along a bit.

Yeah I guess it must be from 2011 ... Do the DUP not look at this sorta stuff ... why the feck are they STILL so intransigent, I mean what do they think is going to happen here ... Any sensible group would try and make friends but I guess they just cant help themselves .. ffs ::)

It shouldn't really be such a hardship to "share" the bloody place should it, but I guess when youve had it your own way for so long, its hard to give that up .. whats the next step for them .. I wonder what they're thinking ?

The DUP will bury their head in the sand and ignore what is blatantly coming. The other picture I posted from slugger got a reply from a guy who claims to be a liberal unionist labour supporter living in England with a background in statistics and quite honestly it was staright out of the DUP handbook of denial. Basically all those non-religion and others from the census are lapsed Protestants and Unionists - unbelievable horseshit. The Catholic growth is all due to immigrants who couldnt give a stuff about Irish nationalism no mention about the equally high number of Protestant born outside the UK etc etc etc basically in complete denial
The dup will bury their head in the sand as distinct from the Provos who bury the whole body

Be quiet Ruth  ;) .. there's people actually trying to discuss stuff here .. there's a good girl !!

AhNowRef

The DUP will bury their head in the sand and ignore what is blatantly coming. The other picture I posted from slugger got a reply from a guy who claims to be a liberal unionist labour supporter living in England with a background in statistics and quite honestly it was staright out of the DUP handbook of denial. Basically all those non-religion and others from the census are lapsed Protestants and Unionists - unbelievable horseshit. The Catholic growth is all due to immigrants who couldnt give a stuff about Irish nationalism no mention about the equally high number of Protestant born outside the UK etc etc etc basically in complete denial

Quote from: armaghniac on June 01, 2017, 07:27:34 PM

I'd say there is a fair sprinkling of Poles etc who will now take out British citizenship (post Brexit), but might well not be big fans of the the DUP notwithstanding their use of their new British passports at polling stations. The DUP Brexit idiocy both give these people a reason to end up on the voting register, and to use their vote to get out of the UK back into the EU!!

The Unionists never never learn. That giant of the political scene, Robin Swann, has characterised calls for special post-Brexit status for North as a 'back door bid to unite Ireland', when of course any rational political thinker would see it as the exact opposite, a measure of flexibility to prevent the whole thing pulling apart.

Unfortunately thoough, nationalism is represented largely by SF who are entirely incapable of putting forward a credible economic model for the way forward, so these small minds will not be called out on their nonsense.

Is that really it, .. they just wont let themselves believe its happening ? ... thats funny about yer man saying that all the increase in Taigs is down to immigrants .. how mad is that ..Good Grief  :o

Ah well, they're their own worst enemy !!

BennyCake

Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on June 01, 2017, 06:37:10 PM
This is a far better representation of demographic shift again using the 2011 census. Saw it a while back for each county and someone on slugger posted this image for the whole of Northern Ireland. The other big milestone that has already happened (end of last year) is that the number of people from a Catholic community background is now greater than those from the Protestant community background.

The redder the area, the better quality of the land.

omaghjoe

The only thing that all this indicates is that Prods live longer than Taigs.

It hardly takes a rocket scientists to work it out that all that tee-totaling and clean living would contribute to a longer lifespan

Avondhu star

Quote from: omaghjoe on June 01, 2017, 08:45:09 PM

It hardly takes a rocket scientists to work it out that all that tee-totaling and clean living would contribute to a longer lifespan
Surely that advantage would be cancelled out by all that home made jam and cream sponges
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

Hotrocks

Quote from: Avondhu star on June 01, 2017, 09:31:27 PM
Quote from: omaghjoe on June 01, 2017, 08:45:09 PM

Surely that advantage would be cancelled out by all that home made jam and cream sponges

Poor cub!  :(

Horse Box

Quote from: Avondhu star on June 01, 2017, 07:05:32 PM
Quote from: AhNowRef on June 01, 2017, 06:47:13 PM
Quote from: dec on June 01, 2017, 05:19:00 PM
Quote from: AhNowRef on June 01, 2017, 04:39:39 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on June 01, 2017, 03:44:58 PM
The evolution of the 6 county population

Thats excellent ... whens that from exactly ? .. i..e what date are these figures from & are they from a census or what?

At this link it says 2014

http://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=241162.0

Quote from: armaghniac on June 01, 2017, 06:18:19 PM
I imagine this is based on the 2011 census, which would imply that things had already moved along a bit.

Yeah I guess it must be from 2011 ... Do the DUP not look at this sorta stuff ... why the feck are they STILL so intransigent, I mean what do they think is going to happen here ... Any sensible group would try and make friends but I guess they just cant help themselves .. ffs ::)

It shouldn't really be such a hardship to "share" the bloody place should it, but I guess when youve had it your own way for so long, its hard to give that up .. whats the next step for them .. I wonder what they're thinking ?

The dup will bury their head in the sand as distinct from the Provos who bury the whole body

::)

seafoid

Quote from: armaghniac on June 01, 2017, 07:27:34 PM
The DUP will bury their head in the sand and ignore what is blatantly coming. The other picture I posted from slugger got a reply from a guy who claims to be a liberal unionist labour supporter living in England with a background in statistics and quite honestly it was staright out of the DUP handbook of denial. Basically all those non-religion and others from the census are lapsed Protestants and Unionists - unbelievable horseshit. The Catholic growth is all due to immigrants who couldn't give a stuff about Irish nationalism no mention about the equally high number of Protestant born outside the UK etc etc etc basically in complete denial

I'd say there is a fair sprinkling of Poles etc who will now take out British citizenship (post Brexit), but might well not be big fans of the the DUP notwithstanding their use of their new British passports at polling stations. The DUP Brexit idiocy both give these people a reason to end up on the voting register, and to use their vote to get out of the UK back into the EU!!

The Unionists never never learn. That giant of the political scene, Robin Swann, has characterised calls for special post-Brexit status for North as a 'back door bid to unite Ireland', when of course any rational political thinker would see it as the exact opposite, a measure of flexibility to prevent the whole thing pulling apart.

Unfortunately thoough, nationalism is represented largely by SF who are entirely incapable of putting forward a credible economic model for the way forward, so these small minds will not be called out on their nonsense.

Did you see Martin Wolf''s article on the implications of "no deal"? 
https://www.ft.com/content/83396e2a-45ef-11e7-8519-9f94ee97d996

It is pie in the sky to think the UK can walk away. NI exports a lot of food products which would be hit with tariffs in excess of 40%. The Tories don't care. They are all mainlining a new drug called strong and stable.

NI doesnt just need economic reform. It would also need to have an economy that works under Brexit cos the Block Grant might be a nice target for a big juicy cut when the Brexit chickens come home to.roost.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

armaghniac

There is a guy posting on Slugger who is an Alliance person, who summed up how thing have changed  fairly well

If brexit leads to real problems - it's very much an "if" but we have no way of quantifying it - the union will suddenly start to look very expensive.

I've never voted for a nationalist party and I never expected there to be a border poll in my lifetime. Brexit has fundamentally changed my perspective on all of this. I'm not being drawn on my constitutional opinion for the moment, but I expect that I will do if the trajectory of British politics doesn't return to some kind of sanity

and also

I have no time whatsoever for SF's nonsense and up until last June I didn't give Irish reunification a passing thought. The attitude of Unionism since that time - basically telling me to shove my Remain vote - has caused me to visit that perspective. I'm continuing to turn it over in my mind.

I wonder how many of us, those of us in the centre of politics who care for solving practical problems and a quiet life, find themselves reaching for the idea of constitutional change on the top shelf and blowing the dust off. SF didn't do this - it was Arlene Foster.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Rossfan

Now if only SF, SDLP and then FF, FG and the rest would only have some outline of how they see the future All Ireland set up in their glossy documents.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

OgraAnDun

Quote from: Rossfan on June 03, 2017, 11:28:48 AM
Now if only SF, SDLP and then FF, FG and the rest would only have some outline of how they see the future All Ireland set up in their glossy documents.

https://www.sinnfein.ie/files/2016/Towards-a-United-Ireland.pdf

Rossfan

A discussion document that "is not descriptive of the shape of a United Ireland".
I suppose it's better than the blanks from the other parties.....
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

armaghniac

There is a great deal of work to do here and there is a huge gap on the economic analysis side.

seafoid

If the DUP had any cop on they would start looking at a better economic model for NI with less waste of human potential. There doesn't necessarily have to be a united Ireland but there does have to be change
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

armaghniac

Quote from: seafoid on June 03, 2017, 12:39:20 PM
If the DUP had any cop on they would start looking at a better economic model for NI with less waste of human potential. There doesn't necessarily have to be a united Ireland but there does have to be change

Why on earth would they do this. Having a big subsidy is preventing discussion of a UI.