Time to Split Dublin

Started by Dont Matter, September 22, 2013, 05:28:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Is it right that Dublin got 7 million to implement a plan to dominate the GAA World?

Yes
42 (29%)
No
103 (71%)

Total Members Voted: 145

northsideboy

Two quick points:
1.I wouldn't take much that Ewan Mc Kenna writes with any level of seriousness.
2. dont matter, if you are a wum, its not funny or if you really feel that way, you need help.

armaghniac

Quote from: northsideboy on July 31, 2014, 09:59:00 AM
Two quick points:
2. dont matter, if you are a wum, its not funny or if you really feel that way, you need help.

Either Ewan McKenna or Don't matter should not be attacked ad hominem, if you believe the things that say are inaccurate then point out their error. Don't attack the man, it is sure sign of the weakness of your argument.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

northsideboy

I'm all for rational discussion, that's not happening here. I've no intention of attacking any man. Its a tired argument, best move onto constructive discussion.

Johnnybegood

Don't matter keeps this thread going after every Dublin match and when it gets going he does a  keiser Sossae and pulls a Houdini
It's my belief that he is anti dub and attempts to use his table of figures to pour could water on dublins achievements after every victory and when challenged he time and again fails to respond and generally resorts to the Dublin junkie stereotype rubbish.

This current football team is a special group of players and yes some have come through developement squads. Dublin are not the only county with developement squads.
Until he shows exactly how the money is spent his argument on a financial imbalance  is a non runner!

And until he provides this against the way money is spent in all other counties his argument for a split is a non starter

Maybe when he puts up figures for adult playing numbers in each county we might get a better balanced view of population imbalances.

Fortunately my body seems to have an in built mechanism preventing me from holding my breath!

blewuporstuffed

is there anywhere we can access data like this? Membership numbers for each club/county, playing numbers for each club / county?
Im sure the GAA has a database of this sort of thing, but is it available to the public?
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

The Hill is Blue

After the performance of the Tipperary hurlers last week against the Dubs isn't it time that Tipperary was split. How about Tipperary North and Tipperary South?
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

imtommygunn

Is the county not basically a split like that between hurling and football anyway??

Syferus

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 31, 2014, 04:32:43 PM
Is the county not basically a split like that between hurling and football anyway??

Well that's that sorted so. The next item on the agenda is ensuring Kerry never win even another junior AI.

armaghniac

Quote from: The Hill is Blue on July 31, 2014, 04:29:17 PM
After the performance of the Tipperary hurlers last week against the Dubs isn't it time that Tipperary was split. How about Tipperary North and Tipperary South?

Why should Tipperary be penalised for being good. Dublin has 8 times the population of Tipp, that's why it should be split.
Dub posters keep avoiding the point and introducing irrelevancies.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

INDIANA

Quote from: armaghniac on July 31, 2014, 10:27:15 AM
Quote from: northsideboy on July 31, 2014, 09:59:00 AM
Two quick points:

Either Ewan McKenna or Don't matter should not be attacked ad hominem, if you believe the things that say are inaccurate then point out their error. Don't attack the man, it is sure sign of the weakness of your argument.

Its been pointed ad lib. I've pulled him up on a number of inaccuarcies and the glaring one is the 2011 AI Title which was won largely with players from a different era.

But you'll only read the bits you want to read. like him.

dubsfantom

Quote from: armaghniac on July 31, 2014, 06:08:48 PM

Why should Tipperary be penalised for being good. Dublin has 8 times the population of Tipp, that's why it should be split.
Dub posters keep avoiding the point and introducing irrelevancies.

The most common argument for splitting Dublin is to do with competitiveness. The fear is that Dublin will become so good in football that no one else will have a chance. The reasons for becoming so good may be many and debatable.

At the end of the day people are still largely only worried about being too good for everybody else. But that same argument about being too good for everybody else should be applied to any county, not just Dublin, irrespective of how that dominance is arrived at.

i would not suggest that Tipperary are too good to be split though.

Rossfan

The problem/fear is that if Dublin gets decent level of GAA penetration into its 1.3m population there will be a monster against whom nobody can compete ever again.
Anyway what would be wrong with 2 or 3 good Regional Dublin teams?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

INDIANA

Quote from: Rossfan on July 31, 2014, 08:09:11 PM
The problem/fear is that if Dublin gets decent level of GAA penetration into its 1.3m population there will be a monster against whom nobody can compete ever again.

Never going to happen with soccer and rugby. Soccer will get good at some point again and with the Rugby WC likely to held here that will be a massive boost for rugby.

What would be wrong? Everything- a complete loss of identity. I would never support a regional team. I'll take up watching another sport before I'd do that.

Syferus

Quote from: INDIANA on July 31, 2014, 08:10:49 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on July 31, 2014, 08:09:11 PM

Never going to happen with soccer and rugby. Soccer will get good at some point again and with the Rugby WC likely to held here that will be a massive boost for rugby.

What would be wrong? Everything- a complete loss of identity. I would never support a regional team. I'll take up watching another sport before I'd do that.

It's the money that I'd be more worried about than population. At least most people accept there is an imbalance that needs to be addressed in some meaningful manner.