Time to Split Dublin

Started by Dont Matter, September 22, 2013, 05:28:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Is it right that Dublin got 7 million to implement a plan to dominate the GAA World?

Yes
42 (29%)
No
103 (71%)

Total Members Voted: 145

dferg

Quote from: Syferus on July 21, 2014, 09:55:49 PM
Quote from: The Hill is Blue on July 21, 2014, 09:26:44 PM
Quote from: dferg on July 21, 2014, 09:04:32 PM
1.8 million in greater Dublin area vs 120000 in meath.  60000 in Roscommon.  30000 in leitrim. Combined with all the other factors it is a significant advantage

The solution is obvious then – give counties the option of amalgamating with neighbouring counties to counter Dublin's supposed population advantage.

The solution is to divvy up the money better.

I agree.  It's not just the population advantage.  In the past the Culchies could win against the Dubs with greater team work in a tight game.

The professional set up of the Dubs now with superior strength/conditioning mean that the last 15 minutes when the other teams are spent is when the Dubs can notch it up a gear if need be.

I still think Mayo and Kerry have a chance though  :D.

INDIANA

1.8 million in greater Dublin area vs 120000 in meath.  60000 in Roscommon.  30000 in leitrim. Combined with all the other factors it is a significant advantage

The solution is obvious then – give counties the option of amalgamating with neighbouring counties to counter Dublin's supposed population advantage.

Agreed but money with no plan is a waste of time. laois hurling went with a plan and look at them now.

Population numbers only increases volumes , it doesn't increase quality or anything like it. Germany haven't got to be world class at soccer because of their population. They got their through planning and quality coaching at a young age.

In theory there is no reason why Tyrone couldn't beat Kilkenny at hurling if they were trained to the same standard from the same age. This tradition shite really winds me up- it has NO basis whatsover in producing Gaelic Football teams. Tyrone won 3 all-irelands in 6 years through a plan that they followed through from the early 90's.

Its ironic that the counties like Kildare and Meath in the late 90's 00's were beating Dublin regularly. But they invested nothing in underage while Dublin being slaughtered from all angles took their medicine and put together a plan to improve the quality of the county side at all levels.

If people want to slaughter his with that. That's fine by me.  I've no issue with finance being spread out to other counties. I'd only encourage it. But like our clubs we'll find the money somewhere- because our club people are just as big a die-hards as any of the country Gaa lads- being in an urban setting doesn't change that one iota.

dubsfantom

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 21, 2014, 05:01:57 PM
Quote from: Michael Schmeichal on July 21, 2014, 04:46:41 PM
Quote from: screenexile on July 21, 2014, 04:35:11 PM
I'm not getting involved in the tit for tat nonsense but I was told a story by a guy recently that I wanted to check with some of the Dublin lads.

He's not one for bullshitting but he reckoned at least 90% of the Dublin lads are Full Time GAA players. I'd love to see the pen pics from yesterdays programme to see the actual occupations but he reckons the majority are students/teachers and that in the summer months they are full time in NADA where their S&C sessions are logged, all their food/supplements are supplied and all physio/rehab is done during the day and they have their field sessions in the evening.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Don't get me wrong there is a hell of a lot of work done before that to get lads into that position but is there any other county in Ireland that could compete with the above?

I can shed light on it for you. Its not true. All training is done in the evening apart from weekends. Same as people saying there are 100 full time coaches is not true. (there are 35 or so)

According to the Irish Times last month, Jason Sherlock was Dublin's 54th full-time coach.

Jason Sherlock works full time as a business development manager in the Louis Fitzgerald Hotel. He us part of the coaching team involved with the Dublin Under 14 development squad  like a good number of other ex inter-county players who volunteer with these squads.

INDIANA

Quote from: dubsfantom on July 21, 2014, 10:13:36 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 21, 2014, 05:01:57 PM
Quote from: Michael Schmeichal on July 21, 2014, 04:46:41 PM
Quote from: screenexile on July 21, 2014, 04:35:11 PM
I'm not getting involved in the tit for tat nonsense but I was told a story by a guy recently that I wanted to check with some of the Dublin lads.

He's not one for bullshitting but he reckoned at least 90% of the Dublin lads are Full Time GAA players. I'd love to see the pen pics from yesterdays programme to see the actual occupations but he reckons the majority are students/teachers and that in the summer months they are full time in NADA where their S&C sessions are logged, all their food/supplements are supplied and all physio/rehab is done during the day and they have their field sessions in the evening.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Don't get me wrong there is a hell of a lot of work done before that to get lads into that position but is there any other county in Ireland that could compete with the above?

I can shed light on it for you. Its not true. All training is done in the evening apart from weekends. Same as people saying there are 100 full time coaches is not true. (there are 35 or so)

According to the Irish Times last month, Jason Sherlock was Dublin's 54th full-time coach.

Jason Sherlock works full time as a business development manager in the Louis Fitzgerald Hotel. He us part of the coaching team involved with the Dublin Under 14 development squad  like a good number of other ex inter-county players who volunteer with these squads.

The inaccuracies and lies the media spin in relation to this is quite staggering.

armaghniac

A lot of this 1.8 million in greater Dublin live in Meath!

Obvious indeed, Dublin have 20% of the population, so they could play against all of the the provinces. This would be an All Ireland with 5 teams, that should scupper the Sky deal and probably GAABoard too. I suppose there would have to be a round robin competition in this case.

If changes are to be made it should be towards the mean, maybe a couple of amalgamations but also splitting Dublin.

Quote from: INDIANIAPopulation numbers only increases volumes , it doesn't increase quality or anything like it. Germany haven't got to be world class at soccer because of their population. They got their through planning and quality coaching at a young age.

Population is a necessary, but not sufficient, condition for success. Excellent coaching in Fermanagh is unlikely to bring success, the same coaching in Donegal might well bring rewards. Dublin will be dominant unless they do a bad job, and thankfully they are not.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

LeoMc

[quuote author=Rossfan link=topic=23775.msg1378960#msg1378960 date=1405960749]
Quote from: dferg on July 21, 2014, 04:08:47 PM
Half the population of Ireland live in Dublin.  .
Approx 6.4 million people now live in Ireland ( all 32 counties of it ). 1.3 m in Dublin = 20% roughly.

[/quote]

I'm sick of China always winning the World cup.

INDIANA

Quote from: armaghniac on July 21, 2014, 10:35:13 PM
Quote from: dferg on July 21, 2014, 04:08:47 PM
Half the population of Ireland live in Dublin.  .
Approx 6.4 million people now live in Ireland ( all 32 counties of it ). 1.3 m in Dublin = 20% roughly.

A lot of this 1.8 million in greater Dublin live in Meath!

Obvious indeed, Dublin have 20% of the population, so they could play against all of the the provinces. This would be an All Ireland with 5 teams, that should scupper the Sky deal and probably GAABoard too. I suppose there would have to be a round robin competition in this case.

If changes are to be made it should be towards the mean, maybe a couple of amalgamations but also splitting Dublin.

Quote from: INDIANIAPopulation numbers only increases volumes , it doesn't increase quality or anything like it. Germany haven't got to be world class at soccer because of their population. They got their through planning and quality coaching at a young age.

Population is a necessary, but not sufficient, condition for success. Excellent coaching in Fermanagh is unlikely to bring success, the same coaching in Donegal might well bring rewards. Dublin will be dominant unless they do a bad job, and thankfully they are not.
[/quote]

Biggest problem for smaller counties is getting their best players out. I still maintain if a lot of these counties got their absolute best players out things would be hell of a lot more competiitve.

As for the Fermanagh example- nobody would ever have said they could get to within a kick of a ball to the All-Ireland Final. You hang around for long enough even with a small population with the right coaching structures and there will be years the big counties won't be as strong. And thats the opportunity.

But you have to hang around long enough and not just give up because some counties have bigger populations. You get good development structures even with a small pick and provincial titles at least are possible.

seafoid

Meath had a transfusion of population from Galway in the 20s and they started winning all Irelands, syf. The first one was 1949, when the first load of galwegians born in the county  were football ready. That is probably Roscommon's best hope for the future.   
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: seafoid on July 21, 2014, 10:45:54 PM

Meath had a transfusion of population from Galway in the 20s and they started winning all Irelands, syf. The first one was 1949, when the first load of galwegians born in the county  were football ready. That is probably Roscommon's best hope for the future.
Roscommon have two All Ireland's, before 1949.

In a communist system like the GAA - the funding will always favour the larger counties. And the larger counties have more influence.

Walter Cronc

Lads lets be serious here the Cluxtons, Flynns, Connolly, Brogans of this world are players who come along every 20 years. Dublin are having their purple patch. I'd be shocked if the players who replace these lads in 5-6 years are of their standard, despite the recent underage success.

Tyrone won 5 All Ireland minor titles (I think) in the 2000s and we've seen those players arent of the 97/98 standard.

J OGorman

Quote from: Walter Cronc on July 22, 2014, 08:39:16 AM
Lads lets be serious here the Cluxtons, Flynns, Connolly, Brogans of this world are players who come along every 20 years. Dublin are having their purple patch. I'd be shocked if the players who replace these lads in 5-6 years are of their standard, despite the recent underage success.

Tyrone won 5 All Ireland minor titles (I think) in the 2000s and we've seen those players arent of the 97/98 standard.

You are talking about 5 players who would near grace any football dream team. Huge natural ability. The talent is still coming through, will they be as good?  And when the likes of Mannion and Costello fill out a bit, they will be serious forwards (more so than now). How long will the purple patch continue? I can see them win 7/8 of the next 10 AI's. Will be some scalp though when the likes of Mayo, Kerry slay the mighty beast on their home patch . Do we not always trot out how hard it is to defend an AI? Well, surely going back to win 3/4/5 in row would be some ask, even for the Dubs (especially when some of them finally get a job! ;-) )

manfromdelmonte

I'd believe that if it weren't for the fact that another crop of minors have come through and the same with U21s.

Do Dublin supporters here think that other county boards in Leinster are stupid and haven't submitted plans for funding?

thewobbler

If I have only one hope for this GAA season, it's that either of the sparsely-populated, emigration-ravished land masses that are Donegal and Mayo, beat Dublin in Croke Park. I don't care how they do they do, just that they do so.

Maybe after that happens, all of the hype swillers on this thread and around Ireland, might take a step back and realise that pots of cash, extensive training regimes, professional coaches and backroom staff, development structures, soft jobs, and big game experience do not win All-Irelands. Players win All-Irelands. Dublin have a natural advantage there at present, but every player can and will have off days.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on July 22, 2014, 09:45:45 AM

I'd believe that if it weren't for the fact that another crop of minors have come through and the same with U21s.

Do Dublin supporters here think that other county boards in Leinster are stupid and haven't submitted plans for funding?

Winning provincial U21 titles or even All Irelands does not guarantee senior success. Cavan and Galway prime examples!

INDIANA

Quote from: thewobbler on July 22, 2014, 09:53:20 AM
If I have only one hope for this GAA season, it's that either of the sparsely-populated, emigration-ravished land masses that are Donegal and Mayo, beat Dublin in Croke Park. I don't care how they do they do, just that they do so.

Maybe after that happens, all of the hype swillers on this thread and around Ireland, might take a step back and realise that pots of cash, extensive training regimes, professional coaches and backroom staff, development structures, soft jobs, and big game experience do not win All-Irelands. Players win All-Irelands. Dublin have a natural advantage there at present, but every player can and will have off days.

They do but they don't develop themselves