Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StGallsGAA

QuoteSomething needs to be done, with hard decisions made from the top down!

What's would be you suggestion Sam 03/05? 

sam03/05

Have a few things would like to see.
Firstly someone should get a full time job, paid for by county board. His remit - developed young players in the county. Especially after minor level.

Quote from: StGallsGAA on June 21, 2014, 09:07:14 PM
[
quote]Something needs to be done, with hard decisions made from the top down!

What's would be you suggestion Sam 03/05?
[/quote]

omagh_gael

Seniors,  U-21s and minors out of Ulster at quarter final stage.

hugh the root

Quote from: SkillfulBill on June 20, 2014, 12:21:30 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on June 20, 2014, 10:41:24 AM
Do people really think that sending Tony Donnelly or anybody else out to do a post match interview would stop the likes of Joe Brolly having a rant? What could anyone have said on Sunday? "Ah well Sean didnt pull Hughes down" - would that have made a difference? Joe knows how to maximise his profile and thats by saying controversial things about big players (see the nonsense he spouted about Gooch not being a big game player a few years ago) and Sean is one of games highest profile players. Until RTE reigns the likes of Brolly in then I support Mickey's stance as the reasons for his orginal stand off havent changed and RTE have done nothing in the meantime to improve that situation. I'd be happy enough for the management to just concentrate on the football and get back to winning matches.
I think the whole problem can be laid at the door of the county board.It is run by a mixture of juntas liars and headtheballs!We need an urgent raid out of this pile of shite as it ain't bringing much luck to our county teams in spite of crazy amounts of money invested.

Benny do Tyrone County board not have any interest or care of duty towards the county sponsers ? How much damage does the dispute between Mickey and RTE to the advertising potential for current and future sponsers ? Mickey's stance is purely down to an issue between himself and RTE. Tyrone county is not some kind of personel fifedom to be used in a personel dispute.

hugh the root

Quote from: omagh_gael on June 21, 2014, 10:41:14 PM
Seniors,  U-21s and minors out of Ulster at quarter final stage.
we will win nothing until the dung within the county board is cleaned out!too many evil deeds carried out by insurgents within our county set up!

matchfit21

How do we fix it HTR? Who's the victim of evil deeds?

hugh the root

Quote from: matchfit21 on June 21, 2014, 11:16:33 PM
How do we fix it HTR? Who's the victim of evil deeds?
we fix it by raiding it clane out!just take a look at some of the ones involved in the various committees they would nt know the feel of a ball other than their own or a female ball in terms of the bitches.I am really serious about this.We are a complete laughing stock!

keeptrying

Serious amount of ego in that  minor management.

Redhand Santa

On reflection that was a seriously bad year for tyrone football at all levels. It was undoubtedly the worst year at senior level since 06. And to be honest it feels like we're as far away from challenging for Sam Maguire as we have been on a long time. It's disappointing given the season we had last year and the hope was we were coming out of transition and ready to challenge again. Instead we seemed to go backwards at an alarming rate. It was a very average league followed by a disastrous championship with the only decent showing being away to down.

People are very quick to find scapegoats and come out with irrational crap about garvaghy. The reality is a big push is needed at various levels to get tyrone back on track. We're a huge football county who constantly produce decent players so the raw ingredients are there to mould something.

I'm not too concerned about one poor year for the minors but serious questions have to be asked as to what the hell we're doing at u21 level. We seem capable of producing good minor teams and the same players being totally ineffective 3 years later. There could be a bit of us picking the wrong type of players at minor level who suit that age group but I'm a firm believer in a winning mentality for the county so do believe in picking the best players. However we need to look at developing them after minor and drilling a winning mentality into them and that minor success is a stepping stone not an end.

We need to focus on other young players in the county too. Ones maybe not good enough at minor level or before but who could be nurtured into fine u21 and senior players. Whether this be a big lad who needs to work on his fitness or a small corner back who is light and needs built up. There is a danger that we focus too much on the best players at age groups and bring them into development squads and ignore other players with different progression rates. We're focusing too much on a small group of players at each age group and ignoring too many others and never giving them a chance.

Now we have garvaghy and availability of so many coaches maybe we should be widening the players attending these development squads to get a much wider range of players. As others have noted we also need to move away from focusing solely on ball players and find tight corner backs, a big workhorse in midfield, strong ball wining forward Etc.

I think the current squad and management have a lot of questions to ask themselves. The players need to decide if they are prepared to start working from September on properly conditioning themselves and training close to professional athletes. No one can be expected to do this but it's what it's going to take to win another all Ireland. So every player must decide have they got the hunger and desire to be there. They also must decide whether they're happy to be part of a tyrone squad and the prestige that goes with that or if they have something to offer that can get tyrone back to the top table. If your happy just to be a panel member and see that as an achievement you shouldn't be there.

I've defended Harte throughout the years but he has plenty of questions to ask himself now too. I know there's rumours of unhappiness in the panel. Even things like food seem to be an issue (though I'm not sure that should be players biggest concern and could be a sign of their current state of mind and lack of focus). Players no longer seem to be prepared to go out and put everything on the line for him on the pitch, he doesn't seem to be motivating them enough. I know he likes to have a distance with the players but maybe this needs revised. I know he takes a lot of inspiration from top American coaches but he has to realise he's managing a bunch of lads from tyrone doing this as a hobby and not millionaire full time American professionals.

He also needs to consider whether it's time for a new trainer and new ideas beside him. We don't seem to have enough ideas and seemed to have lost our identity and have no idea of how we want to play. We haven't a settled team and can't compete with teams physically. There's plenty of problems to be addressed and they need done now. This would allow new managerial personnel to take in the rest of the club season and get working on fitness from now as it will take time for the players to catch up.

Having seen our disgraceful performances at u21 level in recent years and replacement such as canavan and mcivor struggle with other counties I think Harte still is as good as we have. But he needs to be brave and ruthless now and make changes. This may involve him giving up some power but it's for the benefit of the team. Canavan could be a good man to come in beside him and maybe Peter Donnelly or someone could be an option.

I've noted before other counties other than Dublin and Kerry struggle to stay consistently at the top table and fade away after a period of success. I think we're a big enough county and have enough desire to do better than that so it's time for everyone in the county to start pulling together and make the changes to get us back to where we should be.

omagh_gael

It looks like Harte will be in the hot seat for another year. I really can't see him clearing out his backroom a la Jim Mc Guinness. It all appears to have gone stale within the county set up. We need new ideas, a red out of the fringe panelists and a new approach to strength and conditioning.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: omagh_gael on July 22, 2014, 07:36:34 PM
It looks like Harte will be in the hot seat for another year. I really can't see him clearing out his backroom a la Jim Mc Guinness. It all appears to have gone stale within the county set up. We need new ideas, a red out of the fringe panelists and a new approach to strength and conditioning.

I have seen several people mention this, you would nearly think Tyrone aren't doing any S&C work  :-\
Over the past number of years they have been working with the guys in SINI on this side of things, so i imagine they are doing all the right things and getting the best advice.

I certainly dont think that is were the problem lies, i dont think the current Tyrone team look any less fit or physically strong than the majority of teams out there at the minute.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Under Lights

Who are we suggesting gets the chop? Tony Donnelly? Fergal McCann? Horse? Michael Harte?

God14

Quote from: Under Lights on July 23, 2014, 09:42:30 AM
Who are we suggesting gets the chop? Tony Donnelly? Fergal McCann? Horse? Michael Harte?

There's a good argument to be made for a complete clear out. No slight on the individuals in question, I just feel we would benefit from fresh eyes & fresh ideas, and a different voice at training.

Ryan Porter would be a good choice as team trainer in my opinion.
Also someone like Canavan or Dooher as Assistant Manager might be a good idea. If Mickey is a bit aloof from the younger players, there is a void to be filled there.

hugh the root

Forget about Dooher seen him at Breffini this year!He was a top class footballer but his management ability is in line with working with cattle! Ryan Porter is a must for Tyrone!

Gaffer

Quote from: hugh the root on July 23, 2014, 03:43:33 PM
Forget about Dooher seen him at Breffini this year!He was a top class footballer but his management ability is in line with working with cattle! Ryan Porter is a must for Tyrone!

Thought you were on holidays
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"