Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angelo

Quote from: tyroneman on February 11, 2020, 09:56:31 AM
For the sake of argument what position do you think Mickey would play him in?

Centre forward is his best position.

A forward line with Harte, McKenna, Donnelly, McShane and McCurry would be hugely exicting.

It could really free up McCurry as a finisher too as all those guys need serious watching.

I really, really hope it's true that he's coming home for good.

GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

redhandefender

Don't be losing the run of yourselves boys, it sounds like some isn't well from the statement just. Be hard being away in those circumtances

clarshack

Wow, a week ago it looked like relegation to Div 2 and a short summer was on the cards. With Cathal McShane now staying and if Conor Mckenna is really back home indefinitely then we have a real shot at Sam Maguire.

Angelo

Quote from: redhandefender on February 11, 2020, 10:45:15 AM
Don't be losing the run of yourselves boys, it sounds like some isn't well from the statement just. Be hard being away in those circumtances

Who knows?

But McKenna has always admitted to being homesick.

He's probably seen McShane being rewarded for staying put and looked after and maybe he feels he'd rather be back home playing the game he loves and he could be well looked after for doing so.

I hope everything is ok in the lad's personal life.

If he's coming home for good and he's ready to join up with the team then it changes absolutely everything for our prospects in this summer's championship.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Angelo on February 11, 2020, 10:48:54 AM

Who knows?

He's probably seen McShane being rewarded for staying put and looked after and maybe he feels he'd rather be back home playing the game he loves and he could be well looked after for doing so.

If he's coming home for good and he's ready to join up with the team then it changes absolutely everything for our prospects in this summer's championship.

Honestly, your putting insane pressure already on a lad who hasn't played Gaelic Football in about 4/5 years now. He won't just come straight back into the Tyrone team.....Not a chance and there is a chance he never actually makes it in Gaelic Football at Inter county level.

What is going in Tyrone's favour is the fact he doesn't actually appear on any of the Essendon team pics that they uploaded recently at a look there.

Keyboard Warrior

Who knows?

McShane is being well rewarded relative to the others on the squad. I would be confident that this is well below McKennas salary in Australia.

Still don't think his return (if that is even the case) would get us past Kerry or Dublin, but a big improvement regardless.

clarshack

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on February 11, 2020, 11:00:05 AM

Who knows?

Honestly, your putting insane pressure already on a lad who hasn't played Gaelic Football in about 4/5 years now. He won't just come straight back into the Tyrone team.....Not a chance and there is a chance he never actually makes it in Gaelic Football at Inter county level.

What is going in Tyrone's favour is the fact he doesn't actually appear on any of the Essendon team pics that they uploaded recently at a look there.

Are you serious? he would walk onto the Tyrone team. Harte even had him in the senior setup when he was still a minor.

Angelo

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on February 11, 2020, 11:00:05 AM

Who knows?

He's been playing and training as a professional athlete for the past 5 years.

McKenna was an absolutely unbelievable talent at minor level. We've had guys like Coney and O'Neill who didn't live up their minor performances but Coney was a huge minor and lacks the mobility to dominate when he's against people powerful enough to contain him. O'Neill never had the size and lost a lot of pace after his ACL.

McKenna was both a phenomenal athlete and a fantastic footballer, he has searing pace, is extremely accurate off either foot and his physical attributes are perfectly suited to the modern game. He's a one in a generation talent and was the best underage player we produced since Sean Cavanagh.

I really hope it's true and if he does come back there will be pressure and expectation on him, it's only natural given his underage pedigree and how he excelled in Australia where few actually make it.

clarshack

Tadhg Kennelly and Martin Clarke made big impacts for their counties on return from the AFL. I think McKenna could make the same impact for Tyrone. It's not as if he is coming home after suffering a serious injury like Tommy Walsh did.

GetOverTheBar

I agree with the professional argument you lads bring, however there isn't really that much difference anymore at the top level between AFL and GAA. AFL players are leaner and have better endurance / speed though - the latter is why McKenna went there in the first place.

The problem lies with kicking the round ball again, now he could come back and be great - but I'd say it's much more likely he'll need a period of readjustment to the game...but, the inside mark would probably be a help considering his speed. The lad has been away for 5 years. It's not going to be that simple - and you also are forgetting the fact the AFL site says he's expected back Feb 27th, this is not a done deal, he's not been delisted. You are putting him in a county team before it's even confirmed and declaring him the saviour - that type of pressure won't be any help.

I don't think home sickness is going to bring home a 23 year old professional athlete from Melbourne, he lives with the brother over there. I suspect it's just a news story - bad timing for Essendon mind you. He hasn't made his money yet. What is he going to do when he comes home? He's been a professional athlete from 18 - I don't know how he done in school, I assume Queens or Jordanstown would fall over themselves to get him into a Sigerson team - Does that really bring him home?

tyrone08

If he is back for good then he will be a good attention to the team but I can't see him making a big impact this year. Hopefully I am wrong but it's alot of pressure to put on him before he has even kicked a ball.

Angelo

Quote from: clarshack on February 11, 2020, 11:26:15 AM
Tadhg Kennelly and Martin Clarke made big impacts for their counties on return from the AFL. I think McKenna could make the same impact for Tyrone. It's not as if he is coming home after suffering a serious injury like Tommy Walsh did.

I'd imagine it would take him time to get back up to speed, tactically the game will have changed a lot but if he's back for good, I'd expect him to have established himself as one of the game's elite players in the next two years.

Eire90

Im sure they can find him s cushy job at some firm in tyrone.

square_ball

Quote from: Angelo on February 11, 2020, 11:41:12 AM
Quote from: clarshack on February 11, 2020, 11:26:15 AM

I'd imagine it would take him time to get back up to speed, tactically the game will have changed a lot but if he's back for good, I'd expect him to have established himself as one of the game's elite players in the next two years.

I think that's a more realistic timescale for him to have a major impact. Be very hard to see him making a huge impact this season IF he's back for good. I have seen an article where sources at the club expect him back for their first match at the end of the month.

Be great to see him back but I dont think we should count our chickens yet. Some change in outlook between today and this day last week . . .

Angelo

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on February 11, 2020, 11:28:20 AM
I agree with the professional argument you lads bring, however there isn't really that much difference anymore at the top level between AFL and GAA. AFL players are leaner and have better endurance / speed though - the latter is why McKenna went there in the first place.

The problem lies with kicking the round ball again, now he could come back and be great - but I'd say it's much more likely he'll need a period of readjustment to the game...but, the inside mark would probably be a help considering his speed. The lad has been away for 5 years. It's not going to be that simple - and you also are forgetting the fact the AFL site says he's expected back Feb 27th, this is not a done deal, he's not been delisted. You are putting him in a county team before it's even confirmed and declaring him the saviour - that type of pressure won't be any help.

I don't think home sickness is going to bring home a 23 year old professional athlete from Melbourne, he lives with the brother over there. I suspect it's just a news story - bad timing for Essendon mind you. He hasn't made his money yet. What is he going to do when he comes home? He's been a professional athlete from 18 - I don't know how he done in school, I assume Queens or Jordanstown would fall over themselves to get him into a Sigerson team - Does that really bring him home?

I get what you're saying, he will take time to settle back in if he is home for good. His first season could be iffy but he has the talent and the mindset to be one of the best players in the game if he does come back.

I think the homesickness is a big issue with him and big enough to bring him home, he's been quite open about this in interviews. You and I both know Tyrone would love to have him back and if he does come back that he will be well looked after, it may not be an AFL salary but if it makes him happy then I think he'd definitely come home