Gaelic Football - Rules & Regulations discussion/clarification

Started by BennyCake, September 09, 2014, 12:47:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Mad Mentor

As is obvious from this thread, there are many grey areas in the rules. I believe referees are briefed at the start of the year about changes and interpretation of the rules but this is never rolled out to the players and managers of teams. In our club we have a football team at one juvenile grade only, (this is only because one parent is willing to run it and we are a hurling club) so knowledge of the rules is a bit hazy and we concede a lot of frees for fouls the lads don't even know they are committing. However I see teams who have played for years committing similar fouls - and getting called for it- so it's not just our lads lack of knowledge at fault. I believe there is an onus on all county boards to introduce training to all juvenile players about the rules which might help reduce some of the abuse referees get. It seems that the ref is the only person allowed to make a mistake in a match and players can make as many as they like. All young players should have to do some refereeing to see what it's like. It might stop some of the abuse.

twohands!!!

Quote from: Mad Mentor on June 28, 2019, 01:53:14 PM
As is obvious from this thread, there are many grey areas in the rules. I believe referees are briefed at the start of the year about changes and interpretation of the rules but this is never rolled out to the players and managers of teams. In our club we have a football team at one juvenile grade only, (this is only because one parent is willing to run it and we are a hurling club) so knowledge of the rules is a bit hazy and we concede a lot of frees for fouls the lads don't even know they are committing. However I see teams who have played for years committing similar fouls - and getting called for it- so it's not just our lads lack of knowledge at fault. I believe there is an onus on all county boards to introduce training to all juvenile players about the rules which might help reduce some of the abuse referees get. It seems that the ref is the only person allowed to make a mistake in a match and players can make as many as they like. All young players should have to do some refereeing to see what it's like. It might stop some of the abuse.

Excellent suggestions - anyone who has ever reffed a game, tends to be a lot more understanding about how difficult it is and how easy it is to miss something.

It would be interesting to see how many visits the rules section on the GAA website and how many times the rules documents were downloaded.

One thing that really bugs me about the television pundits is that a lot of the time they can be very hazy on the rules. The GAA should be hammering home this point, because people see the action and hear the pundits interpretation and think the pundits interpretation is gospel.

Recently I thought Tomas O'Se was poor in terms of the rules for the Kerry Cork game. Overall I thought Cork's tackling technique was woeful [I'd be shocked if they don't have a very high frees against total the next day out as well - they brought intensity to the game but their tackling attempts had very little proper technique whatsoever - so many times it was just a case of get close to the opposition player and flail arms wildly] Kerry by comparison I thought did poorly even in terms of getting close to the Cork players to make tackles - there was very little evidence of Donie Buckley's impact from what I saw - At one stage in the 2nd half a Cork player was yet again running through the central channel and one of the Kerry players actually made a proper tackle and turned the ball over and I remember thinking to myself - was that the first proper tackle leading to a turnover of the game.

O'Se made no mention of any of this (the constant fouls given away by Cork as a result of poor tackling technique ) that I can recall - he seemed to have no idea that for a tackle to be legit there has to be at least some sort of attempt to play the ball as opposed to the man. There was one occasion where a Cork player was blatantly pulling a Kerry players jersey and had a hold of the one of the Kerry player's arm and even when the action was shown back in slow motion he was on about it being a soft enough free. The problem is that so many people will have watched this and their idea of what's a legit tackle and what's a foul just gets more confused.

David McKeown

Quote from: Main Street on June 27, 2019, 11:55:17 PM
Quote from: David McKeown on June 27, 2019, 04:44:47 PM
So for me Clifford fouled the ball by transferring it between hands in effect throwing the ball
In that incident I don't see what Clifford did that is covered by the rule on changing hands.
The question is , did Clifford break this rule?
'To play the ball up with the hand(s) and catch it again before it touches the ground, another player, or goal-posts.'

if he didn't foul and is deemed not to have been in possession of the ball when he flicked it over the head of the Cork player, then the change of hands does not come into the equation.
It's either he fouled when when flicking the ball over and catching it, or not?

I wouldn't disagree with that. For me Clifford didn't loose possession and therefore fouled the ball in one or other of those two ways.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Dire Ear

Probably a silly question, but the extra ball on the pitch for the Tyrone Cassidy goal?

BennyCake

Paddy Durcan's Point v Armagh. He toe-tapped the ball, but the ball didn't leave his hands.

Is that not a foul? Surely he overcarried?

Taylor

Quote from: Dire Ear on June 29, 2019, 06:59:07 PM
Probably a silly question, but the extra ball on the pitch for the Tyrone Cassidy goal?

I didnt notice it at the game but watching back it looked like there was on in the bottom right corner alright

BennyHarp

Question about the advantage rule. If a player is fouled in possession and within the 5 seconds (or whatever it is that the ref holds his hand up) the team manages to create a goal scoring opportunity and they miss - lets say, they hit the bar and the ball is cleared. Is that deemed as the advantage over as they where able to fashion a clear opportunity to score? Or is the only satisfactory advantageous outcome in that scenario a score, in which case the play is brought back for a free?
That was never a square ball!!

BennyHarp

Quote from: hardstation on July 03, 2019, 02:37:25 PM
It's brought back. If you shoot and miss during the advantage, it is brought back for the free.

I disagree with the ruling btw.

Cheers, Yeah, i would have thought an opportunity to score a goal would have been more advantageous than a free kick for a point so the player has accrued his advantage from the play.
That was never a square ball!!

johnnycool

Quote from: BennyHarp on July 03, 2019, 02:46:02 PM
It's brought back. If you shoot and miss during the advantage, it is brought back for the free.

Cheers, Yeah, i would have thought an opportunity to score a goal would have been more advantageous than a free kick for a point so the player has accrued his advantage from the play.

you've 5 seconds to avail of said opportunity, it's a free go effectively. Miss and you get the free anyway.
If said opportunity is still on when the 5 seconds are up I'm sure most referees will take that into account and let the play develop but if it comes to nothing outside the 5 seconds then that's that.

I see nothing wrong with the rule and think its a good thing.

One for the hurling referees, Cian Lynch deliberately threw the ball onto the ground and caught the hop and played on. Tipp lads in my mind were right to ask why no free was awarded, but referee let him off with it.

What is the ruling there?

It's not as if he dropped it, it was a full throw.

theticklemister

Quote from: BennyHarp on July 03, 2019, 02:01:45 PM
Question about the advantage rule. If a player is fouled in possession and within the 5 seconds (or whatever it is that the ref holds his hand up) the team manages to create a goal scoring opportunity and they miss - lets say, they hit the bar and the ball is cleared. Is that deemed as the advantage over as they where able to fashion a clear opportunity to score? Or is the only satisfactory advantageous outcome in that scenario a score, in which case the play is brought back for a free?

I play it as, if the tackle has no bearing on the shot being hit and the player is in a more advantageous position and misses, I take it as take your oil.

If the tackle has put the player off their shot, or say the bad tackle/grope has put them into a wider position and goal and Misses, I bring them back for the free.

Esmarelda

Quote from: theticklemister on July 03, 2019, 04:29:58 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on July 03, 2019, 02:01:45 PM

I play it as, if the tackle has no bearing on the shot being hit and the player is in a more advantageous position and misses, I take it as take your oil.

If the tackle has put the player off their shot, or say the bad tackle/grope has put them into a wider position and goal and Misses, I bring them back for the free.
I'd agree with that but I've been told that that is not what referees are being told to do. If the goal chance is missed, in this scenario, then I think the ref can bring it back.

The way that you and I agree it should be applied is as it is applied in soccer.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: johnnycool on July 03, 2019, 04:12:10 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on July 03, 2019, 02:46:02 PM

you've 5 seconds to avail of said opportunity, it's a free go effectively. Miss and you get the free anyway.
If said opportunity is still on when the 5 seconds are up I'm sure most referees will take that into account and let the play develop but if it comes to nothing outside the 5 seconds then that's that.

I see nothing wrong with the rule and think its a good thing.

One for the hurling referees, Cian Lynch deliberately threw the ball onto the ground and caught the hop and played on. Tipp lads in my mind were right to ask why no free was awarded, but referee let him off with it.

What is the ruling there?

It's not as if he dropped it, it was a full throw.

Watched and thought foul, he deliberately threw the ball down, now had he dropped it and took the bounce then fine, but I struggle with a couple of those grey areas. Deliberately dropping the ball to regain it and the throwing the ball on to your stick but missing it and regaining it, but by that action gaining space and ability to take extra hop on stick and steps!

As for the advantage rule it's 5 seconds (depending on ref) and advantage over, should he shoot within that and miss it's brought back. Some work out well others don't, can create a gurning session but thems the rules!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

macdanger2

gat

What's an even bigger bollix that if the player on the ball fouls during the 5s advantage time, it's a free out rather than just being pulled back for the free in

Over the Bar

Why do some refs disallow headed goals?