Gaelic Football - Rules & Regulations discussion/clarification

Started by BennyCake, September 09, 2014, 12:47:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theticklemister

Quote from: marty34 on June 15, 2019, 09:02:12 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 15, 2019, 12:50:43 AM
The amount of w**kers that don't know the rules!

I'd a referee from a local club pull me during a kids tournament to say it's a hop ball if a player touches it before the required distance! A proper balloon who would give the rest of the refs a bad name!

That's the issue - people don't have a clue about the rules - not a clue.

At an All Ireland hurling semi-final a couple of yesrs ago. Somebody behind me shouted, 'That's a black card'...omg.

Got this chucked at me in a ladies game too ffs

Never beat the deeler

Can anyone tell me if Clifford fouls the ball here?

He takes possession and hops the ball. After the hop he flicks it up in the air and catches it before it bounces. I would have thought this would be similar to handpassing the ball over someone's head and catching it.

https://twitter.com/officialgaa/status/1143603014072188929
Hasta la victoria siempre

Ball Hopper

Quote from: Never beat the deeler on June 26, 2019, 05:23:13 AM

He takes possession and hops the ball. After the hop he flicks it up in the air and catches it before it bounces. I would have thought this would be similar to handpassing the ball over someone's head and catching it.

Never took possession after the first (only) hop?

His mind appears at a different level, foul or not, though.

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: Ball Hopper on June 26, 2019, 05:44:17 AM

I don't deny it was a great piece of quick thinking (or instinct, I suppose). Kindof reminded me of the AFL goal of the season from Jack Higgins last year where he handballed the ball and ran around the post to kick it in.

https://www.afl.com.au/video/2018-07-28/is-this-goal-of-the-year

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Ball Hopper on June 26, 2019, 05:44:17 AM

It could be seen as, he hopped the ball then he slipped so lost control  and flicked it over his head and played on, or a ref would have been just as right to call it as a throw and catch before the ball either touched the ground or a player
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

DuffleKing

There's no way anyone who understands the rules could call a foul on clifford.

Main Street

Quote from: DuffleKing on June 26, 2019, 08:17:42 AM

With a foul being called, can a player in possession of the ball, hop the ball and instead of catching the ball on the rebound, decide to fist it over an opponent's head, run around and repossess the ball?

magpie seanie

DuffleKing

Quote from: Main Street on June 26, 2019, 10:41:44 AM

With a foul being called, can a player in possession of the ball, hop the ball and instead of catching the ball on the rebound, decide to fist it over an opponent's head, run around and repossess the ball?

That is perfectly legal

delgany

If he had hand passed the ball over the opponent, it would have to bounce . But it was a open handed flick ! So I presume its ok

BennyCake

Can a player stand on the crossbar to stop a free kick going over the bar? Or stand on another players shoulder?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: BennyCake on June 26, 2019, 10:22:58 PM
Can a player stand on the crossbar to stop a free kick going over the bar? Or stand on another players shoulder?

Players (namely goalkeepers) can't interfere with the goal posts during an opponents free, yellow card.

Not sure on the other one though I'd say that's it's dangerous so the ref would stop it
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Never beat the deeler

That's part of the problem, though. Understanding the rules. There is too much room for interpretation.

Clifford here isn't juggling the ball trying to gain control. He is in control the entire time. He flicks the ball up over the defenders head and catches it before it hits the ground.

If this was out the field and a player, running towards another player, did the same it would be blown up (imo)

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Never beat the deeler on June 26, 2019, 10:45:57 PM

That's part of the problem, though. Understanding the rules. There is too much room for interpretation.

Clifford here isn't juggling the ball trying to gain control. He is in control the entire time. He flicks the ball up over the defenders head and catches it before it hits the ground.

If this was out the field and a player, running towards another player, did the same it would be blown up (imo)

Could be looked at this way, he slipped gain control quickly and flicked it over head and gained possession.

Either way it's down to the refs interpretation of what happened at that split second, 20 refs would be split down the middle on that one, I guarantee that one will be used at a refs meeting next year

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 26, 2019, 11:01:37 PM
Quote from: Never beat the deeler on June 26, 2019, 10:45:57 PM

Could be looked at this way, he slipped gain control quickly and flicked it over head and gained possession.

Either way it's down to the refs interpretation of what happened at that split second, 20 refs would be split down the middle on that one, I guarantee that one will be used at a refs meeting next year

Agree with what you are saying - it could be interpreted that way. I don't think that's what happened though

I think it's not as clear cut as "There's no way anyone who understands the rules could call a foul on clifford."