American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gallsman

Quote from: Muck Savage on May 11, 2016, 06:34:29 PM
Quote from: gallsman on May 10, 2016, 10:51:33 PM
Quote from: Muck Savage on May 10, 2016, 09:20:47 PM
Steph Curry wins unanimous MVP, only 3rd unanimous MVP ever with Gretzky and Tom Brady.

He put on some show last night in OT vs Portland!

There have been loads of them in baseball but yes, phenomenal stuff from curry. 40 points, almost a triple double off the bench. While rusty.

Has never been one in basketball, he's the first (and only) unanimous winner, surprisingly.

I know, but you said only the third unanimous MVP ever, which he's not if you look at baseball, which is one of the big four major leagues.

Asal Mor

Quote from: gawa316 on May 11, 2016, 06:24:13 PM
Quote from: Asal Mor on May 11, 2016, 03:05:39 PM
Incredible stuff from Russell Westbrook last night. He just took the game over and dominated. What an athlete. It's been a brilliant series in what have been, otherwise, extremely drab and predictable playoffs.

In him and Durrant they are formidable. If Warriors get through, which they should do I'm not sure who I would want them to play out of the Spurs or OKC. If those 2 fellas are on form you can't do anything to defend them, you just need to outscore them which the Warriors can do but it won't be easy. If those 2 have an off night though they don't have enough in the squad to get them through although Adams & Ibaka are good players.
I've been impressed with Adams too. Zero skill but he's a huge man and gives it everything. Throws himself into every rebound. I've been disappointed with Ibaka, though. He's been fairly peripheral in the games I've seen

gallsman

Kanter has been the real shock/surprise towards the end of the season and in the playoffs. I've never seen him look this hungry.

The Thunder's problem is that if Westbrook produces anything other than all out attack for 48 mins, the Spurs can get to him and allow Kawhi to do a job on Durant.

Going to bravely call the Spurs will still pull it out of the bag.

gawa316

Quote from: gallsman on May 11, 2016, 09:51:19 PM
Kanter has been the real shock/surprise towards the end of the season and in the playoffs. I've never seen him look this hungry.

The Thunder's problem is that if Westbrook produces anything other than all out attack for 48 mins, the Spurs can get to him and allow Kawhi to do a job on Durant.

Going to bravely call the Spurs will still pull it out of the bag.

And I think that's OKC's biggest issue, Westbrook and Durrant can't play for 48 mins so can there bench keep them in it til they get their rest? I don't know

vertigonights

Cavs look good, Love is playing really well at the minute. Dwyane Wade has been brillant in the playoffs, hope the Heat go to the east finals.

RealSpiritof98

Quote from: Asal Mor on May 11, 2016, 03:05:39 PM
Incredible stuff from Russell Westbrook last night. He just took the game over and dominated. What an athlete. It's been a brilliant series in what have been, otherwise, extremely drab and predictable playoffs.

I think this is why the NFL has kicked the ass of the other top sports (NBA NHL) in the USA in modern times as these play offs are meaningless for the most part, they are from a bygone era when families crowded round radios or waited for the morning papers. The one game play-off is way more exciting and can throw up major surprises. Baseball is slightly different as the pitching rosters come into play and the match ups are very important.

Not a huge BB fan but have been keeping an eye on it this year mainly due to sleep deprivation but have really enjoyed Curry's pure excellence of talent. It doesnt feel like a repeat attempt it feels like this is the season where they actually prove themselves.

gallsman

Curry coming up clutch again. That last 3 pointer to win it was outrageous.

Muck Savage

Quote from: gallsman on May 11, 2016, 07:41:49 PM
Quote from: Muck Savage on May 11, 2016, 06:34:29 PM
Quote from: gallsman on May 10, 2016, 10:51:33 PM
Quote from: Muck Savage on May 10, 2016, 09:20:47 PM
Steph Curry wins unanimous MVP, only 3rd unanimous MVP ever with Gretzky and Tom Brady.

He put on some show last night in OT vs Portland!

There have been loads of them in baseball but yes, phenomenal stuff from curry. 40 points, almost a triple double off the bench. While rusty.

Has never been one in basketball, he's the first (and only) unanimous winner, surprisingly.

I know, but you said only the third unanimous MVP ever, which he's not if you look at baseball, which is one of the big four major leagues.
Ah, missed the baseball bit.

gawa316

OKC overcome the Spurs pretty easily tonight to set up the Western finals v Warriors. Think it's going to be a close one maybe 6 or even 7 games. Should be some great games and individual performances

gallsman

Quote from: gawa316 on May 13, 2016, 06:19:09 AM
OKC overcome the Spurs pretty easily tonight to set up the Western finals v Warriors. Think it's going to be a close one maybe 6 or even 7 games. Should be some great games and individual performances

That's absolutely huge for OKC given the battle they face to hang onto Durant. Didn't think anyone other than spurs could stop the Warriors but both the thunder and cavs look very, very good.

Hesitant to say this as it's tried plenty of people up before but it really is difficult to see what the spurs have left. Duncan is finally done, Manu has nothing left either and Parker has looked waaaaaay off the pace in the playoffs. Then again, it's the spurs, so who knows.

heganboy

not sure i'd agree with you on Parker, he played a one man press almost the whole game on Westbrook last night, coast to coast the entire night forced a few turnovers, drew offensive fouls, his o was significantly better with Duncan on the court though. Manu was not at himself at all and faded fast these playoffs. Given the regular season they had, I'd say Duncan will take the 1 year extension.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Asal Mor

Surely Draymond will have to get a suspension, though himself and his coach are claiming there was no intent.

gallsman

Draymond got off. Madness, especially as a Cavs bench player got a one game ban for the exact same thing.

Very surprised to see the Raptors tie up the series 2-2.

gawa316

Yeah that is a clear banning incident, very lucky to get away with it.

Warriors up against it now, lose tonight and they are done.

Asal Mor

Durant had this to say
"I didn't even think it was something we should be talking about. They're not gonna suspend Draymond Green," Durant said. "He's one of the premier players in the league on arguably one of the best teams in the history of the game. They're not gonna suspend him.

"I didn't even really think about it. I knew the league was gonna let him play or fine him or upgrade him to a Flagrant 2. We all knew that was gonna happen. The league is about business."

It does seem crooked. Curry is the league's global superstar(most popular player in China, too) and they'll be hoping he gets to the finals and that LeBron gets there too. A one-game ban for Green would have seriously reduced the likelihood of that big box-office match-up. Personally, I find Westbrook to be the most compelling player in the league, but anyway this decision reminds me of the time FIFA changed what was supposed to be an unseeded play-off draw to a seeded one, when faced with the possibility of Ronaldo's Portugal and France not qualifying.