New Transgender Law passed in Washington State

Started by The Iceman, February 19, 2016, 06:51:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foxcommander

The option of a "unisex" bathroom would probably be the better answer but I'm guessing the PC folk will still bang on about rights even if this option was presented.

Regular everyday peoples rights are non existent in this matter.

Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

screenexile

Quote from: foxcommander on May 16, 2016, 07:42:10 PM
Quote from: J70 on May 16, 2016, 02:23:25 PM
Quote from: foxcommander on May 15, 2016, 07:09:06 PM
Just a hypothetical situation...

You live in a state that has passed the law.
you have a 13 year old daughter and the pair of you are at the shopping centre. it's a fairly quiet morning.
your kid tells you they are off to the bathroom. Straight afterwards someone who you're pretty sure is a man in a wig, dress and high heels follows her in. you are afraid of saying anything as you are a politically correct moron.
5 minutes later your kid hasn't come out. Nobody else has gone in or out.

What do you do J70?

I would do as any concerned parent would - go to the door and call in. If necessary I would go in after her.

How is this different to some boy intent on harm following my young son into the toilet??  ::)

So now look at what this law has created, you're now going to have to walk into a womens bathroom to check on your kid.
That wasn't necessary before because there was a clear definition of the boundaries.

So if you do go in to check you might get arrested for being a peeping tom. Have you ever walked into a womans bathroom when it's been occupied before Hegan?
Pervs will use that excuse to walk into bathrooms "i was looking for my kid".
Transgender folk will sue you for harassment if you've mistakenly identified them as perverts.
It's open season for lawsuits.

The difference is that you can walk freely into a mens bathroom with your son.

You do know pervs can do this under the current legislation as well don't you??

J70

Quote from: foxcommander on May 16, 2016, 08:20:36 PM
The option of a "unisex" bathroom would probably be the better answer but I'm guessing the PC folk will still bang on about rights even if this option was presented.

I'm sorry, but I'm not getting what is "PC" about discussing or advocating for minority rights? Nor what rights of "regular everyday people" are being ignored.

I'm a white heterosexual male. How are my rights being violated if some transgender man sits down to take a piss in the stall next door while I'm going for a shite? Any more than if some gay lad admires my hairy arse while I'm in the shower at the gym?

On the sexual harassment/loitering/assault thing, it amazes me how the right is so up in arms about possible assault of females in this case, while so dismissive of the allegations of frat boy rape on college campuses. My daughter is very young, but if she were older I'd be a hell of a lot more worried about someone spiking her drink at a party than someone dressing up as a woman to try and rape her in a toilet.
Is the threat (whatever that really amounts to) of some men taking advantage of a transgender access sufficient cause to continue to leave these people in no man's land? We are not talking about some perceived offensive words here - this is about real people and real lives, people who currently receive very little understanding and tolerance from society in general and can often be sacked from their job purely on account of revealing their sexual identity. Yes, I get that its all changing and happening very quickly, but that's the age we live in, in a small, instantly interconnected world. I'm not old enough, but I would imagine that similar kinds of discussions were taking place years ago regarding gay people. Has gay rape been a big problem in public bathrooms? Or what about paedophiles? They walk among us and have access to the same bathrooms as young boys.

As for the unisex bathrooms, on what basis would anyone object to that if its for everyone?

seafoid

The trans bathroom issue is classic GOP culture war territory. It has legs because a lot of Evangelicals don't buy into the trans narrative.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

heganboy

In a large part of the US, the "message" from the evangelical pulpit and the message from the catholic pulpit are indistinguishable. So many catholic priests will on the weeks leading up to the election trot out the old "vote GOP if you're catholic because they are the only pro-life/ preserving the sanctity of marriage / protecting our children's bathrooms party." Same priests will be genuinely amazed at the dropping church attendance of the young.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Gmac

Quote from: heganboy on May 17, 2016, 10:56:02 AM
In a large part of the US, the "message" from the evangelical pulpit and the message from the catholic pulpit are indistinguishable. So many catholic priests will on the weeks leading up to the election trot out the old "vote GOP if you're catholic because they are the only pro-life/ preserving the sanctity of marriage / protecting our children's bathrooms party." Same priests will be genuinely amazed at the dropping church attendance of the young.
I have never heard the priests in my parish mention politics once, do u go to mass?

foxcommander

Quote from: J70 on May 17, 2016, 02:17:30 AM
Quote from: foxcommander on May 16, 2016, 08:20:36 PM

I'm sorry, but I'm not getting what is "PC" about discussing or advocating for minority rights? Nor what rights of "regular everyday people" are being ignored.

I'm a white heterosexual male. How are my rights being violated if some transgender man sits down to take a piss in the stall next door while I'm going for a shite? Any more than if some gay lad admires my hairy arse while I'm in the shower at the gym?

On the sexual harassment/loitering/assault thing, it amazes me how the right is so up in arms about possible assault of females in this case, while so dismissive of the allegations of frat boy rape on college campuses. My daughter is very young, but if she were older I'd be a hell of a lot more worried about someone spiking her drink at a party than someone dressing up as a woman to try and rape her in a toilet.
Is the threat (whatever that really amounts to) of some men taking advantage of a transgender access sufficient cause to continue to leave these people in no man's land? We are not talking about some perceived offensive words here - this is about real people and real lives, people who currently receive very little understanding and tolerance from society in general and can often be sacked from their job purely on account of revealing their sexual identity. Yes, I get that its all changing and happening very quickly, but that's the age we live in, in a small, instantly interconnected world. I'm not old enough, but I would imagine that similar kinds of discussions were taking place years ago regarding gay people. Has gay rape been a big problem in public bathrooms? Or what about paedophiles? They walk among us and have access to the same bathrooms as young boys.

As for the unisex bathrooms, on what basis would anyone object to that if its for everyone?

Solution is to provide a unisex bathroom in addition to the current male/female ones. That's if this is really an issue about bathrooms.

Eamonnca1

J70, it's very simple. If you're not a racist, homophobic, transphobic, xenophobic, woman-hating, gun-toting conservative brain-donor who thinks America's worse off now than it was when Obama took office, then you're part of the dreaded "PC brigade" and as such everything you say can be dismissed out of hand as being "liberal."  To people like Fox here, hatred for and fear of anyone different from yourself is an American value bequeathed to the divine Founding Fathers (peace be upon their names) by God himself.

omaghjoe

Quote from: Gmac on May 17, 2016, 02:54:52 PM
I have never heard the priests in my parish mention politics once, do u go to mass?
+1
That is pure bullshit heganboy.

I would love to know where you get that notion from because you quite obviously don't go to mass?

The Iceman

Quote from: omaghjoe on May 19, 2016, 04:03:21 AM
+1

I would love to know where you get that notion from because you quite obviously don't go to mass?
It might be an east coast thing in Heganboys defense- I've heard it a few times from the pulpit.... I'd say in other states some priests don't want to rock the boat too much - east coasters are more direct...
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

omaghjoe

Quote from: The Iceman on May 19, 2016, 06:47:42 AM
Quote from: omaghjoe on May 19, 2016, 04:03:21 AM
+1

It might be an east coast thing in Heganboys defense- I've heard it a few times from the pulpit.... I'd say in other states some priests don't want to rock the boat too much - east coasters are more direct...
They actually told you to go out and vote GOP?

seafoid

they will do when it comes to sexual issues. I was at mass the weekend before the marriage equality referendum and the priest had a 20 minute sermon on I'm not going to tell you how to vote but this is what God thinks

foxcommander

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on May 19, 2016, 01:34:29 AM
J70, it's very simple. If you're not a racist, homophobic, transphobic, xenophobic, woman-hating, gun-toting conservative brain-donor who thinks America's worse off now than it was when Obama took office, then you're part of the dreaded "PC brigade" and as such everything you say can be dismissed out of hand as being "liberal."  To people like Fox here, hatred for and fear of anyone different from yourself is an American value bequeathed to the divine Founding Fathers (peace be upon their names) by God himself.

Now now Eamon, don't be getting yourself worked up. I appreciate people like yourself have alternative lifestyles but finding an accommodation isn't helped by the perceived bullying by lobby groups.
"Change" doesn't always happen at the pace you want it to (see Obama's failed 8 year term)

AZOffaly

Quote from: seafoid on May 19, 2016, 07:05:14 AM
they will do when it comes to sexual issues. I was at mass the weekend before the marriage equality referendum and the priest had a 20 minute sermon on I'm not going to tell you how to vote but this is what God thinks

I don't have a problem with that. On issues of morality or that are in the area of church teaching I don't think it's unreasonable for the church to voice their opinion to their own flock. Some people even want to hear what the church's teaching on a particular matter are. It's up to the individual to decide whether they align themselves with the church or hold a different view.

I have never, ever heard of a priest espousing party political views from the pulpit though. That would be a new one!

seafoid

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 19, 2016, 06:32:52 PM
Quote from: seafoid on May 19, 2016, 07:05:14 AM

I don't have a problem with that. On issues of morality or that are in the area of church teaching I don't think it's unreasonable for the church to voice their opinion to their own flock. Some people even want to hear what the church's teaching on a particular matter are. It's up to the individual to decide whether they align themselves with the church or hold a different view.

I have never, ever heard of a priest espousing party political views from the pulpit though. That would be a new one!
politics in Ireland is separate from religion. Not the same in the states.
GOP policy going back years has been to build religious coalitions to implement policies like tax cuts for the rich.