Query for Ulster folk

Started by ashman, May 19, 2016, 11:03:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

5 Sams

Just to muddy the waters...if somebody asks you.."Where's thon yoke you were ridin last night?" A perfectly acceptable response would be.."Over thonder beside thon yoke with the ginger hair."
The Aristocrat Years

MoChara

Hallion in Belfast seems to be very negative but in the Glens its generally used like Eejit which isn't particularly offensive unless said with a disgusted tone of voice.

Thon pretty much means that,

Thon thing over there's a f**king Hallion

Applesisapples

Hallion should actually be Hellion: a rowdy or mischievous person

sensethetone

Times have changed when ginger haired people get called ginger. I used to be ginger nobody called it for being ginger, ganger, Bosco and that dude than introduces Coronation street just off the top of my head lol.

imtommygunn

Generally belfast people mean country people when they say hallion I find...

HiMucker

Quote from: sensethetone on May 19, 2016, 02:31:23 PM
Times have changed when ginger haired people get called ginger. I used to be ginger nobody called it for being ginger, ganger, Bosco and that dude than introduces Coronation street just off the top of my head lol.
Are you proper ginger like you had an industrial accident in a wotsits factory? Or strawberry blonde?

AQMP

Quote from: Applesisapples on May 19, 2016, 02:16:43 PM
Hellion should actually be Hellion: a rowdy or mischievous person

That's they way they pronounce it in North Down

doodaa

Quote from: longballin on May 19, 2016, 12:42:50 PM
Where did you leave them balls?   There there there

The more I read it the more I laugh  ;D

sensethetone

Quote from: HiMucker on May 19, 2016, 02:43:23 PM
Quote from: sensethetone on May 19, 2016, 02:31:23 PM
Are you proper ginger like you had an industrial accident in a wotsits factory? Or strawberry blonde?

There we go lol I've been tangoed.

ONeill

Hallion used to be a sizeable girl who'd be eating cakes and have her kickers showing whilst grapplin to get over a fence.

Now there are male hallions. Global warming I suppose.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.