setanta sports problems

Started by Clown, April 30, 2009, 11:31:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clown

Does anyone else on here experience problems with setanta sports?

my setanta sports 1 and 2 (on sky digital) usually hav a message saying no satellite signal is found and a blue screen background - thats channels 423 and 424
celtic tv usually has the same problems
ch418 works most of the time - setanta ireland

anyone had similar problems. ive heard it cud be the dish, which is about 15 yrs old, not picking up the signal rite. how much wud a new dish be?

mylestheslasher

It won't be the dish. It could be the receiver on the dish and I believe they are around 20 - 30 euro. Could be your sky box or could the dish is not pointing the right direction. You should also call sky, they can sometimes boost your signal over the phone and that might do something for you

Main Street

Setanta on Sky (and quite a few other cheapskate  channels sharing the same transponder)  does not have a strong signal
You'll lose quality in wet weather, even losing the total signal.
And a more permanent loss if your dish gets blown off course by a degree.

If its the dish,
the usual thing, if the dish is within touching distance, is to have one person with a hand on the side of the dish, gently tilting it one or two degrees  this way and that, to see if the signal improves.

Ari

I don't have setanta, but it's posted on quite a lot of other forums I frequent that Setanta has a habit of messing up whenever a match is about to start. People lose signal and what not.

Main Street

Losing a signal when a match is about to start is a different problem

The GAA

I lose the fantasy channel when the action is about to start too.

is this the same problem?

Ari

Quote from: The GAA on April 30, 2009, 02:02:36 PM

Fantasy Channel?  :D

Tug TV? ;D

Main Street

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on April 30, 2009, 02:06:41 PM

Dish is unlikely to be out of alignment, otherwise a significant amount of channels would be lost and/or breaking up.
A Dish which has moved slightly will affect the quality of weak channells like Setanta and not noticbly  affect those channels with stronger signals.
Just like when rain comes heavy enough, some channels will lose their signal and not others.

Main Street

The reality is, for me and for a lot of people that with a decent bit of rain, the signal drops on certain channels, regardless of what footprint the transponder has on the map.
The Transponder may not be a 100%, the channel may not be given enough space on the transponders to beam a strong signal out. Available space on a signal being beamed from the Transponder can be split amongst a few too many channels.
The reality is that the Setanta signal is far from having the same strength as other channels like RTE. There are enough complaints on the internet about Setanta's signal when the weather deteriorates.

Tankie

Quote from: The GAA on April 30, 2009, 02:02:36 PM

sounds like your subscription is up then....
Grand Slam Saturday!

mournerambler

Had the same problem with my own system about 2 years ago & found that the problem was a simple receiver on the dish was fcuked, get a decent TV aerial/satellite  installer(not from sky) to take a look at he should be able to get it sorted fairly cheap.

Candyman

Ring Setanta helpdesk (Its in Newry) and if you get a fella called Connail give out like fcuk!!!
Want his mobile number???  :D

Main Street

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on May 01, 2009, 03:07:05 PM

1. If some rain, standard for what we have in Ireland, is causing some of your channels on a Sky receiver to disappear there is something wrong with your setup.
My set up is tuned perfectly for where I live.
In heavy rain some chanells drop off.
Newstalk signal is my signal guide to dish alignment.

If my dish was off a bit, those same chanells would also drop off.

If a SS drops off after being accessable, then dish alignement as the first thing to check, especially  for the regular punter whoose dish is accessable.
It's a no brainer.

I donĀ“t know what you're point is but you appear to block out the scientific proven fact that Setanta sports signal is weaker.
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=622970

BBC Watchdog Dec 1st 2008
'Are you experiencing poor picture quality when watching Setanta Sports using a satellite dish (Sky)? this can be easily fixed with a quick realignment of your satellite dish'.