Mountain Biking

Started by on the sideline, January 08, 2020, 12:40:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

on the sideline

Sorry if there is already a thread open on this!

Any keen mountain bikers out there who would recommend a decent, strong mountain bike for a relative beginner? One that could be used on roads, forest trails etc.? Even something maybe that I could pick up second hand to get started properly.

Had a bike from Halfords but it's not strong or sturdy enough to stand up to heavy landings after jumps. Thanks in advance.

Eamonnca1

I'll soon be in the market for an off-road bike myself. I hear hard tails are better at not absorbing your energy when you pedal uphill. Any thoughts?

OgraAnDun

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on January 08, 2020, 05:14:53 PM
I'll soon be in the market for an off-road bike myself. I hear hard tails are better at not absorbing your energy when you pedal uphill. Any thoughts?

This is true, but you could just get one with rear suspension that you can lock out. If you're a beginner, a hardtail can teach you better technique but otherwise I'd avoid them if you're doing actual mountain biking (as opposed to spinning around gravel paths on a hill).

Main Street

Quote from: on the sideline on January 08, 2020, 12:40:32 PM

Any keen mountain bikers out there who would recommend a decent, strong mountain bike for a relative beginner? One that could be used on roads, forest trails etc.? Even something maybe that I could pick up second hand to get started properly.

Had a bike from Halfords but it's not strong or sturdy enough to stand up to heavy landings after jumps. Thanks in advance.
Which MTB model from Halfords did you own?

grounded

Cycling buy and sell on face book have a number of bikes for sale. However, i would thread very carefully around a used mountain bike. You could get a fantastic bike but these things are quite sophisticated now and they do quite often get hammered around the trails! A few replacement parts could cost a small fortune.
            If you are only using it for a little bit of trail riding and roads/paths then an inexpensive hard tail is a good bet. If you really get into it then you can upgrade to a full sus later.

on the sideline

Quote from: Main Street on January 08, 2020, 06:45:53 PM

Apollo Phaze. Only got it as a means of keeping fit, never really intended using it on trails etc. but a few opened up close to where I live so I tried them out and really enjoyed it. The bike just not up to it, but in fairness I didn't buy it with that in mind in the first place. So I'm looking something more suited to trails etc. that will stand up to jumps and landing etc.

on the sideline

Quote from: grounded on January 08, 2020, 04:57:24 PM
It really depends on what your willing to spend!

Starting at Halfords as they have a sale on. Both hard tails and both good solid bikes. A boardman
https://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductMobileDisplay?catalogId=10151&langId=-1&categoryId=165499&productId=1407067&storeId=10001

And a voodoo. https://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductMobileDisplay?catalogId=10151&langId=-1&categoryId=165499&productId=1378487&storeId=10001

Thanks. Both getting good reviews, especially Voodoo one. Have you owned/ridden either?
Also I'm 5"8 so what size frame would you recommend?

GJL

I go to proper MTB trails most weekends. Great fun. I bought a Vitus hard tail in Chain reaction in Belfast. £1100 new. Grand bike. Be sure to get a post dropper saddle if you intend to try some more technical down hill trails. Good luck with it.

Main Street

Quote from: on the sideline on January 08, 2020, 11:30:31 PM
Quote from: Main Street on January 08, 2020, 06:45:53 PM

Apollo Phaze. Only got it as a means of keeping fit, never really intended using it on trails etc. but a few opened up close to where I live so I tried them out and really enjoyed it. The bike just not up to it, but in fairness I didn't buy it with that in mind in the first place. So I'm looking something more suited to trails etc. that will stand up to jumps and landing etc.
Just the Voodoo Hoodoo  is extremely good value, about the best value bike on sale. I have about 10k km on mine on dirt tracks and havent even had a puncture. But I dont know how it compares to what you  want to put the bike through.

maddog

Don't know much about the full suspension ones but i have a Trek Superfly 6 hardtail and its a great bike for trails and will cope with plenty of rough stuff. If you are doing lots of drops it seems full sus is the way to go.

on the sideline

Quote from: maddog on January 09, 2020, 08:13:18 AM
Don't know much about the full suspension ones but i have a Trek Superfly 6 hardtail and its a great bike for trails and will cope with plenty of rough stuff. If you are doing lots of drops it seems full sus is the way to go.

The trail close to my home house is a down hill trail through a forest. Few jumps and heavy enough landings in it. Just hoping to get a bike that will stand up to it for not a fortune. Realistically though I'd say it would be maybe twice a month maximum that I'd get over to it. So would I be safer with a hard tail or go full suspension? Or start hard tail and see how I go?

Dash83

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/st-560-mountain-bike-black-red-275-id_8364715.html

Decathlon and Go Outdoors bikes are pretty good value for money and get good reviews.

Rockrider 560 on sale at present but only size M left

Main Street

Quote from: on the sideline on January 09, 2020, 05:06:30 PM
Quote from: maddog on January 09, 2020, 08:13:18 AM

The trail close to my home house is a down hill trail through a forest. Few jumps and heavy enough landings in it. Just hoping to get a bike that will stand up to it for not a fortune. Realistically though I'd say it would be maybe twice a month maximum that I'd get over to it. So would I be safer with a hard tail or go full suspension? Or start hard tail and see how I go?
There is a third way, go hard tail, see how it goes and consider a suspension seat post.
I have this one on my mtb https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01HMXE8ZU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1&psc=1 
though I never had any ambition to do any jumps,  avoid hazards at all cost.

grounded

Quote from: on the sideline on January 09, 2020, 12:02:23 AM
Quote from: grounded on January 08, 2020, 04:57:24 PM
It really depends on what your willing to spend!

Starting at Halfords as they have a sale on. Both hard tails and both good solid bikes. A boardman
https://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductMobileDisplay?catalogId=10151&langId=-1&categoryId=165499&productId=1407067&storeId=10001

And a voodoo. https://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductMobileDisplay?catalogId=10151&langId=-1&categoryId=165499&productId=1378487&storeId=10001

Thanks. Both getting good reviews, especially Voodoo one. Have you owned/ridden either?
Also I'm 5"8 so what size frame would you recommend?

Yes i own a Bizango, though its the older model. Brilliant bike for the money. It can handle nearly all the trails locally in Rostrevor/Castlewellan. I also have a full sus Giant Anthem, which i use for open mountain riding. Both are great. But the Giant was three times the price and i ride the Bizango more frequently!
             That Bizango has good shimano hydraulic brakes and sram 1x11 shifter along with the ok Suntour fork.  Everthing else tyres,wheels are fairly solid. Size wise id say 16. But go to the shop and try it.
              Its £550 at the minute and i think you can get a further 10% off. So for a shade under £500 you will not better it.
              The boardman is something similar. Brakes not as good, with shimano gearing as opposed to sram. Slightly smaller 27.5 wheels. Still excellent for price.
            If you do buy it from halfords get someone who knows bicycles to have a quick check to make sure its built properly.