Tyrone Club Football and Hurling

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snapchap

Quote from: Tyrone Gaa on September 28, 2016, 03:24:47 PM
Snapchap your taking me up wrong, I described this as an opportunist move but I am applauding that not being critical.

Fair enough!

blackball

Quote from: Christmas Lights on September 28, 2016, 02:07:19 PM
Quote from: blackball on September 28, 2016, 12:20:56 PM
I know this has been mentioned before a while back but some questions need to be asked of the county board regarding reserve football. I just looked over the fixtures on tyronegaa.com.Div 1 reserves havent played since the end of august and before that only had a handful of fixtures due to holidays etc and out of the last 20 games played 10 were conceded. No reserve championship played yet. There has to be some major changes made if they want the reserve leagues to survive. Im only talking about div1 here too, god knows what shape the intermediate and junior leagues are in.

I said it a few pages back, it is time to simply scrap reserve football in Tyrone and forget about it. Just play a senior league, D1, D2 and D3. Nobody cares about it at a board level, and players at nearly all clubs lose interest after a while.  A lot of clubs seem to struggle to field a reserve team with a lot of games forfeited as the season goes in all divisions even D1.  Reserve football is dead in Tyrone.  Time to bury it.

What happens to the clubs that have enough players to field every week?? do they just join Division 3 of the ACL?  Scrapping it would be harsh,they could try changing it slightly. They should play ALL reserve games during the week or on a friday for a start. Thats a total no brainer!

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: blackball on September 28, 2016, 03:32:36 PM
I know this has been mentioned before a while back but some questions need to be asked of the county board regarding reserve football. I just looked over the fixtures on tyronegaa.com.Div 1 reserves havent played since the end of august and before that only had a handful of fixtures due to holidays etc and out of the last 20 games played 10 were conceded. No reserve championship played yet. There has to be some major changes made if they want the reserve leagues to survive. Im only talking about div1 here too, god knows what shape the intermediate and junior leagues are in.

I said it a few pages back, it is time to simply scrap reserve football in Tyrone and forget about it. Just play a senior league, D1, D2 and D3. Nobody cares about it at a board level, and players at nearly all clubs lose interest after a while.  A lot of clubs seem to struggle to field a reserve team with a lot of games forfeited as the season goes in all divisions even D1.  Reserve football is dead in Tyrone.  Time to bury it.

What happens to the clubs that have enough players to field every week?? do they just join Division 3 of the ACL?  Scrapping it would be harsh,they could try changing it slightly. They should play ALL reserve games during the week or on a friday for a start. Thats a total no brainer!
Its certainly worth a try.
One thing we  cant do is continue the way it is.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Up The Middle

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on September 28, 2016, 03:35:56 PM

Reserve footballers have always been treated badly in Tyrone, as Kev said there's no money in it for the County Board. We have been fortunate this past few years in Clonoe to always have had large numbers and very good reserve teams. Our reserve success has been a catalyst for our senior success and the majority of our current senior team would have reserve championship medals. If something new isn't tried a lot of players will drop of after u21 (which is also a shambles). These guys deserve to be treated every bit as well as their senior counterparts, they do the same training and give up the same amount of their own time to their clubs.
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

HalfBack7

Quote from: Up The Middle on September 28, 2016, 03:45:37 PM

Reserve footballers have always been treated badly in Tyrone, as Kev said there's no money in it for the County Board. We have been fortunate this past few years in Clonoe to always have had large numbers and very good reserve teams. Our reserve success has been a catalyst for our senior success and the majority of our current senior team would have reserve championship medals. If something new isn't tried a lot of players will drop of after u21 (which is also a shambles). These guys deserve to be treated every bit as well as their senior counterparts, they do the same training and give up the same amount of their own time to their clubs.

The only way to save reserve football is to play it as stand alone leagues which has promotion and relegation.
So far there has been:
20 games conceded in Reserve Division 1
16 games conceded in Reserve Division 2
42 games conceded in Reserve Division 3
- Making each division more competitive by introducing promotion and relegation would go a long way to helping the reserve league. Teams will think twice about conceding reserve fixtures if there is a possibility of relegation.
- Player will have move pride in playing reserve football if it is made more competitive.

Other steps to help with the reserve football would be:
- Games to go ahead on weekends that have county games (there is no reason that reserve football could not be played on the Friday night when the county are playing on the Sunday)
- Reserve league football to go ahead during club championship weeks (it could easily be played as mid week fixtures during the summer)
- An early championship in reserve football. Currently the rule states that you cannot play reserve championship if you have played championship football for your clubs senior team in the same year. A slight tweak to the rule could fix this, you cannot play reserve championship football if you have played championship football for your current/previous clubs senior team in the year prior.

Or we could just keep ignoring the problem and let reserve football die out altogether.

square_ball

Regional leagues (west and east 2 divisions in each) needed for reserves play games on a dedicated night of the week and run the leagues off and they'll be done by end of the summer. Less travelling with local games I genuinely can't see a drawback for this arrangement.

Norf Tyrone

Rambo getting a hard time for having the Donnelly red card overturned.
Take a look at this red getting reversed. It happens. Perhaps a full stop wrong somewhere.

Clubs and counties shold stop appealing reds on technicalities.

[url]http://www.sportsjoe.ie/gaa/watch-laois-midfielder-red-card-rescinded-county-final-despite-throwing-punch/96841/[url]
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

EastTyrone

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on September 28, 2016, 04:03:44 PM
Take a look at this red getting reversed. It happens. Perhaps a full stop wrong somewhere.

[url]http://www.sportsjoe.ie/gaa/watch-laois-midfielder-red-card-rescinded-county-final-despite-throwing-punch/96841/[url]

I would not give the ref a hard time but the linesman who made the decision.
If you had the chance to look at the video footage, it would only take a second to realise it wasn't even a foul.

Up The Middle

Quote from: EastTyrone on September 28, 2016, 04:09:34 PM

If you had the chance to look at the video footage, it would only take a second to realise it wasn't even a foul.

Swinging an elbow at someone is not a foul?
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

EastTyrone

Quote from: Up The Middle on September 28, 2016, 04:22:32 PM
Quote from: EastTyrone on September 28, 2016, 04:09:34 PM

Swinging an elbow at someone is not a foul?

You said in a previous post that you did not see it. Have you now seen him swing his elbow?

Up The Middle

No but as ive stated plenty of people round me did. Because I didn't see it did it not happen?

EastTyrone

Quote from: Up The Middle on September 28, 2016, 04:34:58 PM
No but as ive stated plenty of people round me did. Because I didn't see it did it not happen?

No, it does not mean that.
It just means you cannot give a fair account or a respectful opinion on what did or did not happen.

nobodyknows

Quote from: HalfBack7 on September 28, 2016, 03:56:34 PM
Quote from: Up The Middle on September 28, 2016, 03:45:37 PM

The only way to save reserve football is to play it as stand alone leagues which has promotion and relegation.
So far there has been:
20 games conceded in Reserve Division 1
16 games conceded in Reserve Division 2
42 games conceded in Reserve Division 3
- Making each division more competitive by introducing promotion and relegation would go a long way to helping the reserve league. Teams will think twice about conceding reserve fixtures if there is a possibility of relegation.
- Player will have move pride in playing reserve football if it is made more competitive.

Other steps to help with the reserve football would be:
- Games to go ahead on weekends that have county games (there is no reason that reserve football could not be played on the Friday night when the county are playing on the Sunday)
- Reserve league football to go ahead during club championship weeks (it could easily be played as mid week fixtures during the summer)
- An early championship in reserve football. Currently the rule states that you cannot play reserve championship if you have played championship football for your clubs senior team in the same year. A slight tweak to the rule could fix this, you cannot play reserve championship football if you have played championship football for your current/previous clubs senior team in the year prior.

I fully agree that by introducing promotion and relegation it would go a long way to helping the reserve league. Fermanagh has a similar model in place where clubs senior and "junior" teams may be in two different divisions, playing different opposition on different days.

Up The Middle

Quote from: EastTyrone on September 28, 2016, 04:44:06 PM

It just means you cannot give a fair account or a respectful opinion on what did or did not happen.

It does if I trust the people around me, why would they make it up. They all had the same version of events, as did all the Clonoe players who I spoke to that night. But hey my account is unfair and disrespectful.

EastTyrone

Quote from: Up The Middle on September 28, 2016, 05:03:20 PM
Quote from: EastTyrone on September 28, 2016, 04:44:06 PM

It does if I trust the people around me, why would they make it up. They all had the same version of events, as did all the Clonoe players who I spoke to that night. But hey my account is unfair and disrespectful.
This is all very cute with the loyal trust. But i suggest you source out the video of the match. You will see that all these people that you trust so much either have poor eyesight or are not that trustworthy after all.  ;D