China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoG2

Quote from: 93-DY-SAM on March 26, 2020, 08:46:21 AM
Quote from: redzone on March 26, 2020, 08:28:49 AM
I'm hearing of a few childminders that are charging between 50 to 100% of there fee until they open up again to secure a childs place for when they open up . I was shocked

There are some businesses doing great things and others are gouging the life out of it. I hope the likes of O'Neills, Dyson and pharma companies like Randox etc are doing what they are doing at a fair rate to cover their costs to keep the show on the road and it is not a massive exercise in profiteering.

Private student accommodation companies billing until the end of June too.. Absolute charlatans!

Walter Cronc

Quote from: tyrone08 on March 26, 2020, 08:47:38 AM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on March 26, 2020, 08:35:00 AM
Quote from: ardtole on March 26, 2020, 08:31:47 AM
Quote from: bennydorano on March 26, 2020, 08:19:12 AM
Naomi has been in bed ill up until quite recently, I don't recall much if any input from her tbh?
Sdlp and sinn fein voted to close the schools, dup, uup and alliance voted to keep them open. I was shocked myself at the time, going against advice of who among others

Yep. She backed the British scientists to the hilt and didn't take the WHO stance on board whatsoever. She'll have to explain that in a few months!

I used to have time for naomi but no longer. She was the swinging vote that kept the schools open for so long, I know that for a fact. Seen recently on twitter that she was trying to justify herself.

Regardless of your beliefs any idiot that backed keeping schools open need to be punished at the polls.

NI executive should be overhauled as they are the most incompetent bunch of idiots I have every seen.

Amen. What the hell is the point of a devolved govt if you wait for orders from Westminster. Show some bloody foresight and act! Go and get testing kits from Randox or close them down would be a start!

imtommygunn

They can make their own decisions when it comes to things like off licenses being shut.

(Don't get me wrong a) we can get booze from supermarkets and b) I am not convinced off licenses really are a necessity but it proves that they make their own decisions when they want to!)

Itchy

Naomi has been in bed ill up until quite recently, I don't recall much if any input from her tbh?

Check out her twitter, she supported the nonsense coming from Westminister.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Sdlp and sinn fein voted to close the schools, dup, uup and alliance voted to keep them open. I was shocked myself at the time, going against advice of who among others

Yep. She backed the British scientists to the hilt and didn't take the WHO stance on board whatsoever. She'll have to explain that in a few months!

I used to have time for naomi but no longer. She was the swinging vote that kept the schools open for so long, I know that for a fact. Seen recently on twitter that she was trying to justify herself.

Regardless of your beliefs any idiot that backed keeping schools open need to be punished at the polls.

NI executive should be overhauled as they are the most incompetent bunch of idiots I have every seen.

But sf will probably just create more whattsapp groups telling their supporters to vote Alliance over SDLP again.

tbrick18

Quote from: Walter Cronc on March 26, 2020, 09:03:02 AM

Amen. What the hell is the point of a devolved govt if you wait for orders from Westminster. Show some bloody foresight and act! Go and get testing kits from Randox or close them down would be a start!

I don't care what politician said what at the minute, that will all come out in the wash at some point.
But the part in bold, 100% yes. I'd go one further...if Randox (or any other company) are trying to profiteer given the circumstances....take control of the company and get the tests that way. Pass legislation now and fight it in the court later if needs be.
Break the bank.....spend/borrow the money to protect and treat the people no matter what the cost. There shouldn't be any planning for the next election or grandstanding, plain and simple there's one priority and that is to get through this crisis.

five points

Quote from: tbrick18 on March 26, 2020, 09:53:05 AM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on March 26, 2020, 09:03:02 AM

I don't care what politician said what at the minute, that will all come out in the wash at some point.
But the part in bold, 100% yes. I'd go one further...if Randox (or any other company) are trying to profiteer given the circumstances....take control of the company and get the tests that way. Pass legislation now and fight it in the court later if needs be.
Break the bank.....spend/borrow the money to protect and treat the people no matter what the cost. There shouldn't be any planning for the next election or grandstanding, plain and simple there's one priority and that is to get through this crisis.

Hard to know where to start with this except to note that the track record of State nationalisations of industrial companies is pitifully bad.

the goal was on

Very difficult for people to listen to arlene or michelle considering they led 3 years of 'do nothing'. Those 3 years of decline in many services will 100% cost lives now. The irony when Arlene begs nhs workers to come back to work! Many of the ministers are new to their roles after a 3 year hibernation so its fairly likely they are gonna be stretched. We don't have the resources and we unlikely to have them in the coming weeks therefore we should have a policy that is as aggressive as possible in terms of isolation if we are to give the hospitals and staff a chance. Set out your stall that's its zero tolerance. If it's lives at stake when 10 teenagers are congregating then treat them like they are putting lives at risk. Prosecute them. We need society to tighten up. If we do then there will be a lot less pain in the coming months.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: the goal was on on March 26, 2020, 10:50:58 AM
Very difficult for people to listen to arlene or michelle considering they led 3 years of 'do nothing'. Those 3 years of decline in many services will 100% cost lives now. The irony when Arlene begs nhs workers to come back to work! Many of the ministers are new to their roles after a 3 year hibernation so its fairly likely they are gonna be stretched. We don't have the resources and we unlikely to have them in the coming weeks therefore we should have a policy that is as aggressive as possible in terms of isolation if we are to give the hospitals and staff a chance. Set out your stall that's its zero tolerance. If it's lives at stake when 10 teenagers are congregating then treat them like they are putting lives at risk. Prosecute them. We need society to tighten up. If we do then there will be a lot less pain in the coming months.

bang on

balladmaker

Read about the woman out walking her dog, met a few teenagers apparently, one of them ran over to her to cough in her face and run away laughing to his mates.  If caught, I'd have that idiot locked up!

WT4E

Quote from: balladmaker on March 26, 2020, 11:21:54 AM
Read about the woman out walking her dog, met a few teenagers apparently, one of them ran over to her to cough in her face and run away laughing to his mates.  If caught, I'd have that idiot locked up!

Bate the head of him before you hand him in please.

WT4E

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 26, 2020, 12:34:58 AM
Quote from: armaghniac on March 26, 2020, 12:17:26 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 25, 2020, 11:38:22 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on March 25, 2020, 11:29:51 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 25, 2020, 11:17:34 PM
But are you not just testing people who have symptoms in the south? And if they have it, they have it, and if they were in contact with others they'll  have it.

Exactly. And in the South there are 1200 people tracking down those contacts and getting them tested and telling them to isolate.

QuoteI'm talking as to why Germany have less fatalities with four times the cases

I told you, in the UK they only test you if you end up in the hospital. In  Germany, likely only 1 in 6 of them go to hospital.

Self isolation is the best way, that's what will stop it spreading. Let's continue to do that and find a vaccine

Testing ensures  that people with it are isolated, while allows the rests carry on. Keeping everyone isolated for another year will wreck the country.

It won't recover from this for a long time! Isolate for 4/5 weeks relax it then bring in Another lockdown but get those test kits out hopefully that'll buy time enough to get enough beds ventilators available

Testing to see if you currently have it needs to be done a little better but the game changer I believe will come when the test to see whose had it and recovered without knowing will be the real game changer. Will help the NHS, Economy and society morale. Sounds like it isnt far away some thinking could be good to go next week.

Obviously NHS workers first and then the rest after!

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: WT4E on March 26, 2020, 11:30:27 AM
Quote from: balladmaker on March 26, 2020, 11:21:54 AM

Bate the head of him before you hand him in please.

Some fella in Belfast up in court today over something similar to Police Officers.

Milltown Row2

There's social distancing and then over the top dangerous social distancing.

Out walking the dogs for their usual 5 mile walk today, between people stepping onto to a busy road and nearly getting wiped out to the ones wearing scarfs up to their eyes (while touching their face holding it in position) if you feel that unsafe do a few things

1) don't leave the house
2) wear a proper mask and gloves
3) work out what 2 metres or 6 foot is
4) take your dander at 5 in the morning
5) don't step onto the road, if you see someone coming towards you step in or wait on a wider path till they pass

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

tbrick18

Quote from: the goal was on on March 26, 2020, 10:50:58 AM

Do you honestly think if Stormount had been up and running for 3 years our NHS would be in a better place?
We have severe restrictions on what we can do as we are depending on a Westminister handout. Whether or not our MLA's were sitting would not have increased the money required.
In my opinion, what will matter is how our MLA's and Executive manage this now with the resources we've got (or can borrow).
I think Robin Swann is out of his depth completely, though I don't necessarily mean that in a detrimental way. I think most people would be out of their depth currently, but personally I hardly ever heard of him before this crisis so not sure he'd have been the right person to steer our response on this issue.