Petrolhead culture

Started by Eamonnca1, March 24, 2024, 10:20:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

In broughshane they do this in tractors...

Tony Baloney

Quote from: gallsman on March 25, 2024, 09:32:46 PMThey just drive slowly and loudly up and down a street?! Had no idea this was a thing
Round and round and round in a lap from Portrush to Portstewart. They'll do donuts and burnouts if the police don't catch them. There was a video last year of some boy revving the shite out of his car whilst some goon had his face up against the exhaust pipe.

Armagh18

Eejits lol but not doing any harm. (Obviously like everything there'll be arseholes doing things they shouldn't)

gallsman

Quote from: Armagh18 on March 25, 2024, 09:45:55 PMEejits lol but not doing any harm. (Obviously like everything there'll be arseholes doing things they shouldn't)

There are lads doing controlled launches with another car 25 feet in front of them and then slamming on the brakes.

I'm sure it's all for the cameras though and they behave impeccably otherwise.

Each to their own and all that, and it's certainly not my bag (old man yells at cloud), but towards the end of that video Eamonn posted there's a few lads in a tired looking old flippin' Corsa that appears to have had nothing done to it other than a ludicrous aftermarket change of exhaust. Is this perceived as in some way cool or desirable?

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Armagh18 on March 25, 2024, 09:45:55 PMEejits lol but not doing any harm. (Obviously like everything there'll be arseholes doing things they shouldn't)
I agree - there are a lot of boys of a similar age doing much worse. The fellas I know that are into this (including cousins) work hard all week and spend their evenings and weekends doing up cars and then showing them at weekends at the Port or other meets. However it is a lot of these same fellas that are driving like eejits and putting others at risk.

quit yo jibbajabba

Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 25, 2024, 09:38:47 PM
Quote from: gallsman on March 25, 2024, 09:32:46 PMThey just drive slowly and loudly up and down a street?! Had no idea this was a thing
Round and round and round in a lap from Portrush to Portstewart. They'll do donuts and burnouts if the police don't catch them. There was a video last year of some boy revving the shite out of his car whilst some goon had his face up against the exhaust pipe.

Can confirm. Was down yesterday a scoot, plenty revving etc and souped up cars about and as someone said the likes of Easter weekend be bigger again. Few decent motors among all the boy racers. Always been a thing round the Port

Wildweasel74

These the lads, that put Insurance through the roof?

quit yo jibbajabba

Can't see it helping thats for sure

Armagh18

Or the greedy bastards who run the insurance racket using tragedies like the weekend to bump up prices while making record profits.

RedHand88

Quote from: Armagh18 on March 25, 2024, 11:16:44 PMOr the greedy bastards who run the insurance racket using tragedies like the weekend to bump up prices while making record profits.

But crashes do put premiums up. This isn't rocket science.

marty34

Quote from: thewobbler on March 25, 2024, 04:48:56 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on March 25, 2024, 04:02:58 PM
Quote from: marty34 on March 25, 2024, 03:48:04 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on March 25, 2024, 03:23:56 PM
Quote from: marty34 on March 25, 2024, 08:43:46 AMOn  similiar vein to this road safety issue, I think it should be complusory that anyone out walking, day or evening, should have a hi-viz vest on.

The amount of people I see out at dusk walking, wear black/dark clothes is scary.

Plus all school uniforms and bags should have a few hi-viz strips or reflections on them.  I'd say it'd be simple enough to design and install.

If roads are so dangerous that people have to dress like construction workers just to go about their daily business then we've got a serious problem that no amount of high-viz is going to fix.

Bit arrogant that answer and not addressing the issue I raised about people out walking at dusk with dark clothes on nor re: school uniforms.

But hey anything for a quick quip.

So you want to live in a society where we all walk about our streets looking like we just stepped off a building site? Are you serious?

I walk bendy, hilly country roads every evening for 4-6 miles.

I will have a hi-vis on me if there's any chance at all, that I'll be out during or after dusk.

Why?

Because it requires no effort to do, but makes everyone else's life's easier who is using the same roads. Which means there's less chance of me getting killed.

But I suppose i am a rational person, capable of seeing the bigger picture. Cyclists like yourself Eamon, you're not rational people.

But Eamon knows best!

A simple cost effective way to help save lives.

I see agood few people wearing them...but not enough.

The reflective school uniform and school bags stripes is a no-brainer.

Eire90

tyrone full of petrolhead types

marty34

Quote from: Eire90 on March 26, 2024, 07:32:36 AMtyrone full of petrolhead types

I always thought Donegal would have been bigger.

Is the Donegal rally still going?

Eire90

yes every june i think is yeah i think donegal might have an even bigger petrolhead community than tyrone

lurganblue

bundoran gets a hit every now and then