Vegetable roll

Started by john mcgill, June 11, 2007, 10:03:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

5 Sams

Jaysus AFR you are really dragging them up from the past.....veda is still v popular over here.....although its the one without the currants and raisins....all my english relatives take a suitcase full of the stuff home with them when they visit.....try it toasted with melted mature cheddar.....gorgeous. I can't remember the name of the one with the fruit in it. Did it begin with S...Soreen or something like that???
The Aristocrat Years

john mcgill

I shared a house in the late 70's in the US with some south Armagh men.  A relative was coming out and asked what we wanted brought out. The usual list with sausages, HP sauce, bread, tea and stragely enough salad cream.  The visitor brought out a gallon of salad cream and one Crossmaglen man ate most of it in salad cream sandwiches.

stew

What is miss (apart from the keady loaf) is sausage rolls, feck me they are to die for with hp on them and you dunk them in beans and fried tomato and then stick them in your gub only to be washed down with a steaming cup of tae. Heaven.

Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Kernan_is_King

Vegetable roll is rank, and salad cream sandwiches even worse. Steak I say.
Big Joe - Big Future!

Tyrones own

Forget the steak, just take the horns off him and clean his hole for BIG Joe ;)
   You had me dooling there AFR at the site of that Paris bun, crumbs and all!
   Fcuk it, i need to get home :'(
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

Fiodoir Ard Mhacha

Quote from: john mcgill on June 12, 2007, 05:00:25 PM
one Crossmaglen man ate most of it in salad cream sandwiches.

We were brought up on them too. That and plates of custard. No apple tart or nothing. just custard.
"Something wrong with your eyes?....
Yes, they're sensitive to questions!"

Donagh

Had some toasted Veda last night. Fecking rank...

Stranworst

That veda stuff makes me sick, well I'm off work today so gonna get down to the butchers get me some veggie rols for later! Gonna be good!

5 Sams

Quote from: Stranworst on June 13, 2007, 10:59:13 AM
That veda stuff makes me sick, well I'm off work today so gonna get down to the butchers get me some veggie rols for later! Gonna be good!
Quote from: Donagh on June 13, 2007, 10:58:17 AM
Had some toasted Veda last night. Fecking rank…

Heathens...
The Aristocrat Years

Great Leap Forward

Quote from: 5 Sams on June 13, 2007, 11:44:20 AM
Quote from: Stranworst on June 13, 2007, 10:59:13 AM
Quote from: Donagh on June 13, 2007, 10:58:17 AM
Had some toasted Veda last night. Fecking rank...

Heathens...

It's a disgrace the likes of Veda is still on the market while the greatest product known to mankind is long since gone. Creamola Foam, the taste of my childhood.

Tony Baloney

Veda is a malt loaf and it is the mutts nuts with butter and jam but the thought of it toasted with or without melted cheese makes me feel sick! I must say white bread is yer only man for toast!

heganboy

this thread has turned into a "food I love but cant get any more" sort of thing, so here goes- I'm in the US so you can get most of these at home:

Bread- the sweet nonsense they try to pass as bread here is awful. I miss potato bread the most, soda farls, wheaten, decent scones, veda, nutty krust, Belfast Baps, Pat the Baker, any decent bread.

Sausages, Sausage rolls, white pudding, black pudding, decent bacon, vegetable roll (I blame my dad for that one) Did I mention Sausage rolls? Flakier the better

Crisps- Americans cant do crisps at all. theres already been a crisps thread, so suffice it to say that I'd like all of the crisps on that thread (especially skips, quavers and Tayto Spring Onion)

Apple Crumble

Pacers- green and white stripey mint chews we used to get what ever happened to them?

Chocolate- for anyone who ever had to eat Hershey's nonsense - awful stuff. How hard can it be to make decent milk chocolate? Dairy Milk, raisin and Biscuit Yorkies, Crunchies Maltesers, frys chocolate cream, flakes

Tae- Liptons while it has its merits is tea- I want cupan tae.

Salad cream- for salad sammidges (to go with cupan tae)

Chinese food- the Irish version of Chinese food is much nicer than the american version of Chinese food.

Pies- although I may have eaten them all- Cottage pie, shepherds pie, cumberland pie its not that hard to make them I know but come on.

Doorsteps sandwiches- probably goes back to the bread discussion, there's a lot of decent sambos here, but you miss a Dantes or a Doorsteps every once in  a while.

Curry Chips/ Gravy Chips/ Mushroom Chip/ Chip pea onion gravy. Enough said.

Super noodles & Pot noodles. sad but true

A big pot of Stew packed before heading down to a match in Clones / Dublin and all hands eating out of cheap tupperware bowls and plastic spoons at the side of the road. Also goes with salad sammidges and cupan tae from Thermos as above.

Guinness doesn't travel.

Pub Grub- a doirty auld Chicken Kiev, a carvery lunch ( my da judges how god a carvery is by the height of the pile on the plate and the lack of disapproving glances if a refill was on the cards) cod and chips, scampi, stuffed steak.

I am getting fierce hungry typing this up...

Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

john mcgill

Next time I'm in NY I'll bring you out a food parcel.  Although I have to be careful as the sniffer dog detected Crunchies the last time and I had a bit of explaining to do.

Square Ball

Veda is great, fresh out of the Windsor bakery in Belfast, non of that aul shite from the supermarket.
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

stew

A cowboy supper with chips cooked in white cap, deadly for the aul ticker but tremendous chips all the same. Split a sausage in half and put between two slices of buttered bread then add some baked beans, a couple of sliced mushroms and chips covered in brown sauce and then eat til full. Now that is some feeding after a night on the batter.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.