UTV & BBC & RTE & TV3

Started by Tyrone Dreamer, August 02, 2007, 06:44:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

Quote from: onefineday on May 10, 2023, 01:44:43 AM
Any word of this midweek magazine type programme that was supposed to be rolled out in rte this year?
I'd envisaged a bit of a talkshow about upcoming fixtures etc, a bit like that utv Adrian Logan programme which was excellent in my hazy memory of it.
If it's started, it's been lost on me anyway.

Virgin Media should propose doing one and let the GAA provide them with clips!
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Eire90

The thing with firestick you need connections  to know people.

full moon

I find it unbelievable that with all the matches now jampacked every weekend and the fuss about RTE doing a Saturday game highlights programme, they won't even do that every weekend for the championship?

They are only doing a few Saturday highlights shows after all.

And there is no Saturday matches televised at all even during a packed schedule and yet they were during the league.

onefineday

Not having requiring rights holders to produce a midweek analysis/highlights/preview type of show is very shortsighted and fails to recognise the potential such programmes have in generating interest in the sports.
Yes there's loads of podcasts around, but they're for people Ike us who are probably gaa to the core and know what to go looking for. Casual sports fans aren't going to go searching, the majority of the population are not gaa to the core fans. We have large swathes of urban Ireland in particular where gaa is not a spectator sport. Yes, kids might play it, but neither they nor their parents follow it with any great interest.,  That's why these small things can help generate interest if they're showing on mainstream TV, it's the same argument with the gaago experiment - it excludes the casual fan and caters only to those who are already converted.
I heard rte's head of sport (the Armagh lad) get very irate the other day as he defended gaago, his big line was that the cost at 12 Euro was so much cheaper than taking a family to a match, obviously true (although at least the players might not freeze for a few minutes when watching live - strangely that might have occurred in the Ulster final last year though). But the point is that casual fans flicking channels aren't going to happen onto a classic hurling game or a potential classic football game when screening is via a niche subscription only website. To these people the 12 Euro v 100  euro argument is irrelevant as they were never going to spend anything.
Their worth to the gas is viewership which increases rights appeal and value and potential conversion to paying fans in the future, not to mention the gaa stated goal of promoting it's games.

thewobbler

RTE must surely be close to the point of saying "you know what Donal Og.... You're not worth the effort".

Outspoken is good for a pundit.

Keeping it real is good for a pundit.

Being an ultra-negative fundamentalist though? Nobody wants to endure watching that.

square_ball

His dig at the Tailteann Cup was totally unnecessary. Does the big hurling man have the same opinion on the various tiers in hurling?

Captain Scarlet

The hurling championship gets some room to breathe this week.

The GAA schedule has two provincial football finals and the start of the Tailteann Cup, which if you haven't heard of it, is a sort of Gaelic football Grand National for disappointed also-rans.

This means that we've one big hurling game at tea-time on Saturday and available for viewing, you know where.

Say what you like but it beats having three hurling championship matches throwing-in within the space of three hours on a Saturday evening – something the rushed calendar has given us.

Why have a dig there? The first part of his RTE article is another moan.
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

ck

Anyone know what games are of free to air TV this weekend?

Rossfan

Hurley stuff....Clare/Cork and Tipp/Limerick
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Captain Scarlet

Dónal Óg says its the days we were nourished on. Bow down at the altar of THE GREATEST SPORT IN THE WORLD (Munster).
I'm sure he'll pipe up about the football on GAAGo too...
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

rrhf

Somewhere in there, there is a GPA message or leaning here. Can't decipher it though.

Rossfan

Reds under the beds, McCarthyism at its best

Tyrone Dreamer

Caught the sport on rte news last night. There's 140,000 people expected in croke park this weekend, could you imagine the hype machine in over drive if it was for rugby. Rte some how didn't mention the games on the sports news. They covered boxing, league of Ireland and golf.

LC

Quote from: Tyrone Dreamer on July 01, 2023, 07:06:23 AM
Caught the sport on rte news last night. There's 140,000 people expected in croke park this weekend, could you imagine the hype machine in over drive if it was for rugby. Rte some how didn't mention the games on the sports news. They covered boxing, league of Ireland and golf.

Very true, certain aspects of the D4 media seem to be overly obsessed when it comes to the rugby.  A lot of smoke blown up rugby players arses who go on about the jersey and how proud they are to represent Ireland.  If the IRFU were short a few bob and asked the goys to still tog out anyway the pride in the jersey thing would soon go out the window.

Rossfan

I couldnt believe they didnt even mention the QFs.
Marty mustn't have been able to get around to the 8 Counties to put a few clichés together.