Schoolgirl can opt out of religion but must remain in class

Started by muppet, November 25, 2015, 12:14:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Quote from: AZOffaly on November 25, 2015, 03:32:15 PM
I know. I was even boring myself as I typed it. :)

Boring yourself?

Tony Fearon will disown you if you are careful.
MWWSI 2017

ziggysego

I had French lessons in college, even though I didn't take French. I kept asking her how she pronounced 'Happiness is hard to find'. I was allowed to leave class after a few lessons.
Testing Accessibility

The Iceman

I finished GCSE Maths in a year. I didn't want to do additional maths - I had to go to the class but I didnt participate.
Nothing to see here folks.....
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

From the Bunker

Is Religion taught after the Junior Cert anymore? I know there is an exam you can do for the Junior Cert!

https://www.examinations.ie/exam/Junior_Certificate_Timetable_2015.pdf

mrdeeds

Most schools have it as a non exam subject rather than something like PE. In some schools it is an exam subject.

snoopdog

I spent many a time in a class I didn't want to be in . It led to a career I didn't want to be in. Nothing different to 90% of the population.

armaghniac

There is great enthusiasm here for not getting educated.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

muppet

Quote from: armaghniac on November 25, 2015, 06:58:37 PM
There is great enthusiasm here for not getting educated.

I was thinking that a class teaching about lots of different religions would be very interesting. Exam or no exam.
MWWSI 2017

Main Street

In my day at secondary school in the early 70's there was religious  something or other  once a week in the second year. Then the morons that somehow find state sponsored employment as teachers, decided that we should have an exam in catholic based  christian doctrine. No classes were scheduled on that sacred day,  just you had to come in, sit down and do the catholic based religion test. I came in, sat down, took out my pen and wrote" I'm going home now" and made my exit. In our third year, religious based classes were dropped completely.

If I was that girl's father and had to cop the ruling, I would buy her a nice pair of  over-ear headphones which would radically reduce  her exposure to outside noise pollution so she can concentrate better on doing something useful.

T Fearon

Not familiar with the education system in the freestate.Is this a Catholic sector school? Can students opt out of Maths and English? If not then it is patently discriminatory

foxcommander

Quote from: AZOffaly on November 25, 2015, 03:09:21 PM
hmmmmm what?

I think this is a sensible enough conclusion any way. The girl doesn't have to participate, she can work away studying whatever, but the school can still care for her as she is physically sitting in the classroom.

Tail wagging the dog again. Sets a bad precedent. It's a wonder he didn't sue.

Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

moysider

Quote from: foxcommander on November 25, 2015, 09:27:52 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on November 25, 2015, 03:09:21 PM
hmmmmm what?

I think this is a sensible enough conclusion any way. The girl doesn't have to participate, she can work away studying whatever, but the school can still care for her as she is physically sitting in the classroom.

Tail wagging the dog again. Sets a bad precedent. It's a wonder he didn't sue.

I dunno about the bad bit but it does set a precedent. I would expect more and more kids seeking exemption from Irish for example. Many already do anyway.

That might not be a bad thing either. Subjects should be optional ideally. This would lead to a better learning environment for the kids that actually are interested in a subject. In some situations teachers can end up babysitting students in classes. Students that are not taking the subject being taught and are not interested in studying anything else either during that period.

Ideally kids should only be doing subjects that they are interested in. The budget constraints and timetabling and logistics that result leads to students ending up in classes/subjects they don t want to be in.

Afaik religion in secondary school is about all religions and not about catholic indoctrination. As Muppet said it is probably very interesting and enlightening.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: moysider on November 26, 2015, 12:00:16 AM
I dunno about the bad bit but it does set a precedent. I would expect more and more kids seeking exemption from Irish for example. Many already do anyway.

That might not be a bad thing either. Subjects should be optional ideally. This would lead to a better learning environment for the kids that actually are interested in a subject. In some situations teachers can end up babysitting students in classes. Students that are not taking the subject being taught and are not interested in studying anything else either during that period.

Ideally kids should only be doing subjects that they are interested in. The budget constraints and timetabling and logistics that result leads to students ending up in classes/subjects they don t want to be in.

Afaik religion in secondary school is about all religions and not about catholic indoctrination. As Muppet said it is probably very interesting and enlightening.

That's a bit like saying childer should eat what they want. A lot of them will end up eating Tayto crisps and Mars bars for lunch washed down with a can of Coke.

I didn't see the point of English literature at the time and I resented it. Didn't come to appreciate it until years later, although it helped that I didn't have an abrasive oul biddy trying to teach it to me.

When I was in primary school I didn't want to be bothered learning my multiplication tables, and I fell a bit behind as a result. The teachers kept brow-beating me about it until I knew them and I'm glad they did, for it would have caused a lot of problems later if I didn't know them.

When it comes to religion the only way it should be taught as a mandatory subject in a state-run or state-funded school should be as a history/philosophy type subject where world religions are compared. In fact I'd say the whole thing should be sunk into a bigger subject called philosophy which is a hell of a lot more interesting.

But if religion is going to be taught for indoctrination purposes then let the churches fund it themselves and set up their own facilities to teach it in. It's not like they're short of money. Any taxpayer money used for indoctrination purposes is effectively a tithe, and that has no place in a pluralist republic.