The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gmac

Quote from: J70 on April 27, 2023, 07:55:44 PM
Quote from: Gmac on April 27, 2023, 07:22:26 PM
Quote from: J70 on April 27, 2023, 05:21:02 PM
I think Gmac needs to crack open a cool Bud Light and relax a wee bit.  8)
watery piss I'd say your more of a white claw guy

Is that an insult? Not a cool alpha-male drink in the MAGA swamps?

My wife's family enjoys White Claw when we're out west, but it's not something I've ever felt a need to try.

Not much of a drinker myself these days, but I do enjoy an occasional craft beer (low on the hops) or cider.
haha

Eamonnca1

What do you call a basement full of conservatives?

A whine cellar.  ;D

Gmac

Funny to see irish twitter explode about don jr making a statement about the hate speech bill in Ireland

RedHand88

Quote from: Gmac on May 02, 2023, 07:34:31 PM
Funny to see irish twitter explode about don jr making a statement about the hate speech bill in Ireland

Am I mad for thinking there's something very off about it? Prosecuting someone for something that was sent to them by phone and putting the onus on them to prove themselves innocent (not the other way round) is very Orwellian Ministry of Truth like. Can anyone explain it better or what am I missing?

whitey

Quote from: RedHand88 on May 02, 2023, 08:20:49 PM

Am I mad for thinking there's something very off about it? Prosecuting someone for something that was sent to them by phone and putting the onus on them to prove themselves innocent (not the other way round) is very Orwellian Ministry of Truth like. Can anyone explain it better or what am I missing?

There are free speech laws in the US that outsiders can fathom at all

https://fee.org/articles/prince-harry-allow-me-to-explain-the-first-amendment/

J70

Is someone really going to be prosecuted just for something that was sent to them?

Gmac

Quote from: J70 on May 03, 2023, 02:36:50 AM

Is someone really going to be prosecuted just for something that was sent to them?
probably deserves a thread of its own but from what I read misgendering someone will be a crime and punishable by jail time, start deleting guys I mean they them

J70

Quote from: Gmac on May 03, 2023, 03:35:11 PM
Quote from: J70 on May 03, 2023, 02:36:50 AM

probably deserves a thread of its own but from what I read misgendering someone will be a crime and punishable by jail time, start deleting guys I mean they them

Who did you read?

In what scenario will simply "misgendering someone" result in a jail sentence?

dec

Quote from: Gmac on May 03, 2023, 03:35:11 PM
from what I read misgendering someone will be a crime and punishable by jail time

That gives us a good indication of the sort of stuff you read.

Gmac

I read the bill , hate speech includes gender identity and misgendering

J70

Ok, so where does it say simply "misgendering someone" will result in prison?

Gmac

Quote from: J70 on May 03, 2023, 04:25:15 PM
read the bill

J70

Quote from: Gmac on May 03, 2023, 05:10:01 PM
read the bill

I did. I did not see any such language or language that could be reasonably assumed to imply what you claim.

I did see this, however...

Protection of freedom of expression
11. For the purposes of this Part, any material or behaviour is not taken to incite violence or hatred against a person or a group of persons on account of their protected characteristics or any of those characteristics solely on the basis that that material or behaviour includes or involves discussion or criticism of matters relating to a protected characteristic.

Seems to be quite a bit of latitude there for good faith discussion or criticism and mistakes in gender identification, contrary to your paranoid hyperbole (assuming you're making good faith statements).

https://data.oireachtas.ie/ie/oireachtas/bill/2022/105/eng/ver_b/b105b22d.pdf

Gmac

Quote from: J70 on May 03, 2023, 05:36:19 PM
Quote from: Gmac on May 03, 2023, 05:10:01 PM
read the bill

I did. I did not see any such language or language that could be reasonably assumed to imply what you claim.

I did see this, however...

Protection of freedom of expression
11. For the purposes of this Part, any material or behaviour is not taken to incite violence or hatred against a person or a group of persons on account of their protected characteristics or any of those characteristics solely on the basis that that material or behaviour includes or involves discussion or criticism of matters relating to a protected characteristic.

Seems to be quite a bit of latitude there for good faith discussion or criticism and mistakes in gender identification, contrary to your paranoid hyperbole (assuming you're making good faith statements).

https://data.oireachtas.ie/ie/oireachtas/bill/2022/105/eng/ver_b/b105b22d.pdf
is hate speech misgendering someone in the bill ?
What is punishment for hate speech ?
If I said it was a great idea you would probably be against it

dec

Quote from: J70 on May 03, 2023, 05:36:19 PM
(assuming you're making good faith statements).

You're new here, aren't you.