McIver steps down as Donegal boss

Started by Datsun Donaghy, July 28, 2007, 10:49:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aghdavoyle

Quote from: lynchbhoy on July 30, 2007, 12:04:07 PM
I just personally think that McIvor has more about him.
A more proven manager and tactically astute man than the game and industrious Crozier.

Whatever about his reported strengths, tactically astute he ain't

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Aghdavoyle on July 31, 2007, 03:08:55 PM
A more proven manager and tactically astute man than the game and industrious Crozier.

better than PC though
thats all we ask

loughshore lad

Am not quite so sure how you come to this conclusion. Ask anyone who has ever played under him or closely followed any team he has been involved with and I would safely say they would argue to the contrary. I have seen first hand during his involvement with Ardboe, Ballinderry and subsequently Donegal that he is very shrewd tactically.

By the way Lynchbhoy I told you a while back I thought the only job he would take in the future might be the Tyrone one. There is no chance he will take Derry and the fact the son Michael is breaking through onto the panel will reinforce that - he would be reluctant to put Michael in an awkward position.

mackers

Aghdavoyle, interested in your comments on McIver. Do you feel that he is over-rated? From the outside looking in, he was in charge of Dromintee when you probably had your best chances to beat Cross. Did you feel that you lost those games on the bench? You were within touching distance of Cross (hopefully still are). Did you feel a better manager could have taken you further?
Not sure whether his time with Donegal has improved his CV, when the pressure of championship came on the players reverted to type, running up blind alleys, short passing, that they had moved away from during the league, maybe they had played all their football in the league.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: loughshore lad on July 31, 2007, 03:28:12 PM

Am not quite so sure how you come to this conclusion. Ask anyone who has ever played under him or closely followed any team he has been involved with and I would safely say they would argue to the contrary. I have seen first hand during his involvement with Ardboe, Ballinderry and subsequently Donegal that he is very shrewd tactically.

By the way Lynchbhoy I told you a while back I thought the only job he would take in the future might be the Tyrone one. There is no chance he will take Derry and the fact the son Michael is breaking through onto the panel will reinforce that - he would be reluctant to put Michael in an awkward position.

I'd not dispute either - I'd agree with what you say.
I'd hope that Mickey harte would carry on for another couple of years and then McIver would take the Derry job, or realise that Harte was going nowhere soon, so keep his rep up there by taking the Derry job.
He cant manage tyrone if Harte sticks with it.
Thats what I'm hoping for so he will take Derry.

johnjoe

Personally I would rate Brian very highly.

Had a few dealings with and against him, and always found him to be top class in all he did.

He must feel there is not much more he can do with Donegal, and has settled for silverware in the form of the NFL.

I`d say he would be on a lot of counties short list, and of course should Mickey Harte ever call it a day, I`d say that Brian would be in with a great chance of his beloved county job.

Alternatively, there would be a fairly long queue of clubs lining up for him. Good luck to the man, a gentleman.

orangeman

Would agree with you 100 % there John Joe - the man is a winner and a gentleman as well - very astute in my book !!

Unlike other retiring mangers, there will be a lot of knocks on his door !

Aghdavoyle

Quote from: mackers on July 31, 2007, 03:35:21 PM
Aghdavoyle, interested in your comments on McIver. Do you feel that he is over-rated? From the outside looking in, he was in charge of Dromintee when you probably had your best chances to beat Cross. Did you feel that you lost those games on the bench? You were within touching distance of Cross (hopefully still are). Did you feel a better manager could have taken you further?
Not sure whether his time with Donegal has improved his CV, when the pressure of championship came on the players reverted to type, running up blind alleys, short passing, that they had moved away from during the league, maybe they had played all their football in the league.

He came to us with a big reputation and maybe we just expected more. we have always played the same way in the same style and maybe people were just hoping he'd bring new ideas or alternative methods. it was all very run of the mill and archaic (sp?), and we just carried on as though he wasn't there as he changed nothing. he's very old scholl in the dressingroom. there was a fairly knowledgable from the club giving him a hand and it wouldn't have made any difference had he taken it himself.

orangeman

Dromintee and everybody else in Armagh have been trying to topple Cross now for 10 years - nobody has succeeded - when it does happen it will be when a really good club side come along, get a good few breaks along the way and when Cross have a few missing - Bellew is out this year - he's worth a few on his own, isn't he ? lol

Aghdavoyle

You never know. they haven't beaten us by more than a kick of the ball in 6 or 7 years, so if hearty were to throw one in...