Gerry Adams "had Jean McConville disappeared"

Started by Minder, March 28, 2010, 02:38:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

longrunsthefox

It is a tragic story however if the family are so ready  to accept the word of Hughes about Adams's involvement, they should be accepting  she was an informer as he says. All duck or no dinner.
Whether the execution was a justifiable response is a whole other debate...

'In the book, extracts of which were published in the Sunday Times, Hughes said that an Army transmitter was removed from her flat by an IRA team.

Hughes said he helped in her interrogation and she admitted she was working for the British Army.

But because she was a mother and a widow, she was given a warning.

However, a second transmitter was later found and she was taken away to be killed.'

Main Street

Quote from: Jim_Murphy_74 on March 29, 2010, 01:16:52 PM

I know it's a quote and all but that whole theory is very Ed Moloney-ish.  His "groundbreaking" book on Adams was based around this theory if I recall. 

It's funny but I doub that those showing such outrage about these "revelations" on Adams actually ever belief anything contrary anway.............

/Jim

I haven't read a Moloney book. The theme might well be down his alleyway.

For this book (extracts of), I note that it looks to be one where Moloney asks the questions, prompting the stories from Hughes.
It is the questions Moloney asks which reveal a more rounded picture of Hughes to the reader, than if Hughes had wrote the whole thing on his own.
Moloney:  What did Adams say?
Hughes: Adams said I was paranoid.
But Moloney does not include his question in the book.

Iirc. it was Moloney in Hibernia magazine was the first mainstream journalist to write articles about Birmingham/Guildhall show trials.

longrunsthefox

Legal threat

The Sinn Fein president said he had asked for legal advice because he believed some of the claims to be libellous.

Mr Adams said: "To be libelled, means that in some way you are seen as being disreputable by your friends and associates, so the allegation about IRA membership, that has been consistently denied, may not be the most offensive and outrageous allegation which he has made." 

Asked what the most outrageous allegation was, Mr Adams said: "The whole suggestion, for instance, that I was involved in the killing, or would have known about the killing, of Jean McConville."

Ulick

The interviews were carried out and recorded by Anthony McIntyre. Moloney was then given access to them by Boston College.

glens abu

Quote from: Ulick on March 29, 2010, 02:56:37 PM
The interviews were carried out and recorded by Anthony McIntyre. Moloney was then given access to them by Boston College.

thats correct Antony McIntyre that says it all,just read the magazine he published"The Blanket" and that will tell you all you need to know about his politics ::)

Main Street

That appears to be so,
but Ed is still claiming some credit for the interview process.
'Mr Moloney said he had encouraged the efforts to collect stories from republican and loyalist paramilitaries involved in the conflict to act as a store of information from the Troubles, with the research exercise backed by Boston college in the US'.

Ulick

Quote from: Main Street on March 29, 2010, 03:38:02 PM
That appears to be so,
but Ed is still claiming some credit for the interview process.
'Mr Moloney said he had encouraged the efforts to collect stories from republican and loyalist paramilitaries involved in the conflict to act as a store of information from the Troubles, with the research exercise backed by Boston college in the US'.

Funny that. Paul Bew was on Talkback earlier saying it was all his idea. I believe McIntyre has previously made the same claims.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: longrunsthefox on March 29, 2010, 02:16:41 PM
It is a tragic story however if the family are so ready  to accept the word of Hughes about Adams's involvement, they should be accepting  she was an informer as he says. All duck or no dinner.
Whether the execution was a justifiable response is a whole other debate...

'In the book, extracts of which were published in the Sunday Times, Hughes said that an Army transmitter was removed from her flat by an IRA team.

Hughes said he helped in her interrogation and she admitted she was working for the British Army.

But because she was a mother and a widow, she was given a warning.

However, a second transmitter was later found and she was taken away to be killed.'

Exactly and it's not just the family that could apply to.

I see McConville's daughter is going to take civil action against adams, no I can't understand why he won't admit to his IRA involvement....
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

ardmhachaabu

pints, I get what you are saying about Adams.  I think Adams is a liar though

Way I see it, the needs of victims of various actions which he may have been responsible for (if you believe Hughes) has been put to the side in favour of political expediency.  They knew who they were talking to in '74 when they sprung him from jail and transported him to Cheney Walk.  They knew he was central to taking the provos from a war footing and they have probably turned a blind eye to a lot worse than Jean McConville's murder
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

pintsofguinness

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on March 29, 2010, 08:16:30 PM
pints, I get what you are saying about Adams.  I think Adams is a liar though

Way I see it, the needs of victims of various actions which he may have been responsible for (if you believe Hughes) has been put to the side in favour of political expediency.  They knew who they were talking to in '74 when they sprung him from jail and transported him to Cheney Walk.  They knew he was central to taking the provos from a war footing and they have probably turned a blind eye to a lot worse than Jean McConville's murder
Of course he's a liar, he's had to be.

I dont think the brits turned a blind eye to things he's done, they just haven't been able to get anything on him...
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

orangeman

Gerry was in a real bad mood this evening when being questioned about the allegations in the book.

" Don't get smart with me !! " was one reply to a question posed by a female journalist about his membership or not of the IRA.

Usually Gerry comes across well but the veil slipped a bit today.

lawnseed

if you listen carefully to ed maloney you will hear exactly what he is saying BUY MY BOOK BUY MY BOOK...........I WANT YOUR MONEY BUY MY BOOK... the allegations are not new but if he'd not mentioned Gerry Adams at all it would be in the bargain basket before it was on the shelf. my book will be out soon in which someone who's dead swears that Gerry Adams had an affair with cardinal Daly.... :o see what i mean buy MY BOOK instead
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

glens abu

Tuesday, March 30, 2010
THE IDES OF MARCH? This blog has been of a mind to write a frivolous piece for some time now about the citizens who comment on these musings of mine. In particular about the ones who get annoyed for no good reason. For example Anonymous, who is beside himself or herself because I refer to this blog as this blog.
Or the Saint Galls amadán who accuses me of bias against the All-Ireland champions when I have nothing but admiration for them, to the point where I am endeavouring to have our City Council and our Minister of Arts, Culture and Leisure Nelson McCausland host receptions for Naomh Gall.
This blog has already hosted a Stormont reception for this wonderful Gaelic sporting institution. That was a few years ago when a good time was had by all and the bar bill was more than this blog and your man could bear. This time the state and the city burghers should pay. Naomh Gall Gaels deserve it.
But to other matters. An old friend of mine, Brendan Hughes, has been in the news this week. The Irish News actually devoted eight pages on one day and three pages another day to a book containing interviews with Brendan.
This book by Ed Moloney and Anthony McIntyre appears to be a rerun of an earlier tome by Ed Moloney.
Mr Moloney and Mr McIntyre have written books and countless articles attacking me, and in its time the IRA leadership.
I knew Brendan Hughes well. Better than Ed Moloney or Anthony McIntyre. And I cared more for him and about him than they ever will. Some time I hope to get the space to reflect on my life with Brendan and the separate twists and turns of his life, and mine.
He wasn't well and hadn't been for a very long time, including during the time he did these interviews.
He also carried with him an enormous sense of guilt over events surrounding the first hunger strike. This made him very vulnerable even before his health deteriorated.
However, that is no excuse for his involvement in this book.
Brendan also opposed the peace process. That was his right. His assertion that the struggle was not worth it is wrong.
The fact is that the decisions taken collectively by republicans have improved the quality of life for people across this island; have ensured the growth of republican politics and created a new and dynamic context in which there is the potential to achieve reunification and independence.
Brendan could and should have been part of this. For a mixture of reasons he wasn't. That was his choice. Like everything else he was involved in. Big boys didn't make him do it.
I reject any suggestion by Ed Moloney, or anyone else for that matter, that I have ever sought to distance myself or to disassociate myself from the IRA.
Anyone who recalls the years of conflict and the countless interviews I gave, and still give, in which this issue is raised, will know that I am the person most frequently interviewed about the IRA and who defended the right of the IRA to engage in armed struggle, which thankfully now has ended.
I am proud of my association with the IRA. It was not a perfect organisation and it made many mistakes. Its business was war and in the madness that is war the IRA did many things which deeply hurt people.
I regret that very much and I have worked with others to ameliorate this. Some victims' families do not accept this. That is their entitlement. I reject absolutely any accusation that I had any hand or part in the killing and disappearing of Jean McConville or in any of the other allegations that are being promoted by Ed Moloney.
The issue of the disappeared is a terrible legacy of the conflict. A grievous wrong has been done to these families. Republicans are trying to right this wrong and have been trying to do so for some years.
The effort to do this was initiated by me after I was approached by some of the families involved. There are many other initiatives, mostly private, to bring healing to victims of the conflict. Republicans are very centrally involved, in personal as well as more formal elements of this.
Some of the allegations made against me are very serious indeed and, bizarrely, by an accuser who is not here to stand over his claims. I feel sorry for him.
Every other republican I have spoken to has a totally different view. As I have said before on other occasions, there are many people who would be prepared to give an account of their actions during the war and who would have the courage to do this while they are still alive. A process to do this is needed.
They include republicans, loyalists, unionist politicians, British politicians and British state forces. And me.
I have made it clear to both governments and in public remarks that the legacy of the past requires an independent, international truth commission to be established by an acceptable and reputable international body. It is a matter of public record that I personally would be prepared to give evidence and to encourage others to give evidence to such a genuine truth recovery process.

Posted by Gerry Adams at 9:51 PM

Rois

OK the Irish News is really bothering me with this stuff.

The biggest financial upheaval in Ireland and you have to wait until page 27 to read anything about it, including a sale of one of the big 4 banks in the province.  It was Page 14 before the most freakish weather in years got a mention.

And Gerry Adams saying Brendan Hughes "wasn't well" when he carried out the interviews gets the front page? 

I have no love for Sinn Fein but what exactly is their agenda? 

glens abu

Quote from: Rois on April 01, 2010, 09:12:04 AM
OK the Irish News is really bothering me with this stuff.

The biggest financial upheaval in Ireland and you have to wait until page 27 to read anything about it, including a sale of one of the big 4 banks in the province.  It was Page 14 before the most freakish weather in years got a mention.

And Gerry Adams saying Brendan Hughes "wasn't well" when he carried out the interviews gets the front page? 

I have no love for Sinn Fein but what exactly is their agenda?

Election 5 weeks away and the SDLP owners "the Fitzpatricks" are big SDLP backers