Mayweather v Mc Gregor

Started by Targetman, June 14, 2017, 11:19:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeepers Creepers

Quote from: mcklatchee on June 15, 2017, 01:39:06 PM
Quote from: Hound on June 15, 2017, 01:33:54 PM
Quote from: mcklatchee on June 15, 2017, 01:13:17 PM
Quote from: lurganblue on June 15, 2017, 01:05:37 PM
Wait till the hype train gets going.  They'll be falling over themselves to get tickets and pay the PPV rate. Some people will rightly moan about it being a non contest etc but far more will pay to see the freak show.

Look, at the end of the day it's still boxing and anything can happen.

All broadcasters bar the host is likely to lampoon the circus from beginning to end . The hype will be in that context
But they'll have a strong boxing undercard to give it some respectability.

Floyd will have a few of his boxers, and at least one of them will be for a world title. And Mick Conlan and Paddy Barnes will be hoping to get places on the early undercard. Maybe KatieT too.

Maybe get A Song For Europe and the ploughing championships in there too

Theres a two aside hurling/shinty game in the ring before hand. TG4 will be showing deferred highlights.

mcklatchee

Quote from: Hound on June 15, 2017, 01:50:22 PM
Quote from: mcklatchee on June 15, 2017, 01:39:06 PM
Quote from: Hound on June 15, 2017, 01:33:54 PM
Quote from: mcklatchee on June 15, 2017, 01:13:17 PM
Quote from: lurganblue on June 15, 2017, 01:05:37 PM
Wait till the hype train gets going.  They'll be falling over themselves to get tickets and pay the PPV rate. Some people will rightly moan about it being a non contest etc but far more will pay to see the freak show.

Look, at the end of the day it's still boxing and anything can happen.

All broadcasters bar the host is likely to lampoon the circus from beginning to end . The hype will be in that context
But they'll have a strong boxing undercard to give it some respectability.

Floyd will have a few of his boxers, and at least one of them will be for a world title. And Mick Conlan and Paddy Barnes will be hoping to get places on the early undercard. Maybe KatieT too.

Maybe get A Song For Europe and the ploughing championships in there too
Nah it'll be a quality undercard. Gervonta Davis, one of the most exciting young boxers around. I'd say we'll see him defending his title.
Hard to know what kind of input McGregor will have, but it would be good to have some Irish talent in the early bouts

Sounds like the main event is a marketing ploy for the undercard
If you must ask a difficult question, ask someone else in 5 years time. I have a 5 yr plan you know

Syferus

Some lads love nothing more than complaining. I'm looking forward to it.

mcklatchee

Quote from: Syferus on June 15, 2017, 02:02:30 PM
Some lads love nothing more than complaining. I'm looking forward to it.

The actual fight?
If you must ask a difficult question, ask someone else in 5 years time. I have a 5 yr plan you know

JoG2

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on June 15, 2017, 12:19:36 PM
Mayweather and the boxing associations puts his boxing reputation in the gutter with this farce all for the greed of money he already swimming in!  Be a total non event@! Whos up next John Cena?? Its getting a bigger circus than the WWE

pretty much sums up boxing, it's been a sh1t show for a long time run by charlatans. For every decent bout there's a multitude of dead rubbers. Every weight division has a fighter that has and is avoided at all costs in case it derails the money train.

On the fight itself, whilst there's a huge gulf in boxing class, the ref will have a huge bearing. Id bet on the ref being very keen on stopping any fighting on the inside, breaking the fighters continuously,  which would scupper any chance of McGregor causing an upset. McGregor is very mobile, fit and strong, IF he landed, he could do damage. You just never know, be a bit of craic

BennyHarp

As long as this sort of thing doesn't become a regular occurrence then there will be a massive interest for the novelty factor alone. Any attempt to have a re-match or to try and match up other cross code fighters will fall flat as the public just won't buy. For what its worth i am looking forward to it but fully expect Mayweather to win however he chooses to win after a few early skirmishes to suggest McGregor has a chance.
That was never a square ball!!

JoG2

Quote from: BennyHarp on June 15, 2017, 02:28:41 PM
As long as this sort of thing doesn't become a regular occurrence then there will be a massive interest for the novelty factor alone. Any attempt to have a re-match or to try and match up other cross code fighters will fall flat as the public just won't buy. For what its worth i am looking forward to it but fully expect Mayweather to win however he chooses to win after a few early skirmishes to suggest McGregor has a chance.

I'd agree. Unless McGregor  lands a knockout shot, you'd have to expect this to go the distance. If you rule out the farce of the Ortiz knockout, Mayweather has only knocked one man (Hatton) out in the last 11 1/2 years.

magpie seanie

Cannot stand Mayweather so I'd just love it if McGregor caught him with a haymaker and sparked him out. Very hard to see that happening though. The likeliest outcome is Mayweather glides around avoiding trouble for 12 rounds and picks up his gargantuan cheque and strolls off into the sunset. Doubt he'll be able to knock McGregor out though so he'll have a punchers chance but not much.

Franko

Bookies have Mayweather at 1/11 and McGregor at 7/1.

Edit:  Thanks yankee bookies.

Paddy Power has it 1/6 and 4/1.  Mayweather priced at 10/11 to end it by KO/TKO.  Which seems weird as I'd imagine most can't envisage that happening.

dec

McGregor's longest ever fight was 5 a round fight versus Diaz. If he spends 12 rounds aggressively chasing and attempting to hit Mayweather and also getting hit regularly he may be a lot more tired than he has ever been before in a fight. It wouldn't surprise me if he left himself open to a knockout in the later rounds.

nrico2006

Quote from: dec on June 15, 2017, 08:52:33 PM
McGregor's longest ever fight was 5 a round fight versus Diaz. If he spends 12 rounds aggressively chasing and attempting to hit Mayweather and also getting hit regularly he may be a lot more tired than he has ever been before in a fight. It wouldn't surprise me if he left himself open to a knockout in the later rounds.

5 rounds of 5 minutes though.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

DrinkingHarp

Quote from: nrico2006 on June 16, 2017, 08:44:42 AM

5 rounds of 5 minutes though.

Date: Saturday, Aug. 26, 2017

Where: T-Mobile Arena, Las Vegas, Nevada

How to Watch: Showtime PPV, price not yet set, but all indications are that it will be in the $100 range similar to Mayweather-Pacquiao

Rules: Standard Boxing, 10-ounce gloves, 12-round fight

Weight Class: Super Welterweight (154 Pounds)

Tale of the Tape

Records: Mayweather 49-0 (26 KOs), McGregor 21-3 (18 KOs)

This "fight" is all about $$$$

Mayweather is old and will not knockout McGregor, considering he has only one KO.
McGregor will lose because he is not technical in the "art of boxing".

This whole bout is nothing but a spectacle.

I still will watch though.

Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014

gallsman

Plenty of grappling in that fight too​ which is energy sapping. He should be fine from a cardio perspective but he'll be hitting an awful lot of thin air.

The Gs Man

Keep 'er lit

Taylor

McGregor will get destroyed.

Plenty of videos out there of him sparring in a boxing ring and average boxers are picking him off throughout - imagine what one of the best boxers in the world will do to him.

Looking forward to it all the same