The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dec

J70

screenexile

I see Trump's accusers have come out again... Where have they been for the last year??

whitey

Quote from: screenexile on December 11, 2017, 05:27:02 PM
I see Trump's accusers have come out again... Where have they been for the last year??

They had to wait first for the Democrats to regain the high moral ground as it pertains to the issue of sexual assault. They had lost it for 20/30 years with their unwavering loyalty to Bill Clinton and Ted Kennedy

They just got it back last week when they forced Al Franken to resign

J70

Quote from: whitey on December 11, 2017, 05:45:15 PM

They had to wait first for the Democrats to regain the high moral ground as it pertains to the issue of sexual assault. They had lost it for 20/30 years with their unwavering loyalty to Bill Clinton and Ted Kennedy

Nothing stopping the GOP following suit amidst what is looking like a major cultural turning point. This should not be a partisan issue. If the Dems seize the high ground, it will only because the GOP refuse to join them there.

whitey

Quote from: J70 on December 11, 2017, 06:14:30 PM

Nothing stopping the GOP following suit amidst what is looking like a major cultural turning point. This should not be a partisan issue. If the Dems seize the high ground, it will only because the GOP refuse to join them there.

Hahaha....forcing Franken out when his replacement gets to be handpicked by the Democratic governor required a lot of courage on their end. I knew something was up last week. 

Looks like maybe the Russian angle isn't working for them

Time for plan b

J70

Quote from: whitey on December 11, 2017, 06:22:09 PM

Hahaha....forcing Franken out when his replacement gets to be handpicked by the Democratic governor required a lot of courage on their end. I knew something was up last week. 

Time for plan b

So... what... the GOP SHOULDN'T bother trying to get with the times and take a stand against sexual assault and harrassment? Its all political, so it doesn't matter?? They shouldn't even bother trying to neutralize it, even if only for political reasons? I'm confused.

And Franken was seated until 2020. Now the Dems have yet another seat to defend next year (and then again in 2020), one which Franken took months of delay to win originally. You think they're happily just going to turn over a stone to find a candidate as popular and capable as Franken? I'd say the GOP are planning to give MN a serious go, especially having done very well in WI in recent times. Doesn't mean they'll win, but it will at the very least take resources away from some of the seats Dems are defending in red states.

As for Moore, there was nothing stopping the GOP getting together and doing a serious write-in campaign. Some of them even wavered and encouraged this. But once Trump got involved, it was Moore all the way, with a few noble exceptions like the senior Senator from Alabama. So spare us the whinging about motives, especially given the climate under which this is taking place.

But rather than your whining about playing politics and plan B's, why don't YOU tell us what SHOULD be happening here?

whitey

Quote from: J70 on December 11, 2017, 06:40:00 PM

Time for plan b

So... what... the GOP SHOULDN'T bother trying to get with the times and take a stand against sexual assault and harrassment? Its all political, so it doesn't matter?? They shouldn't even bother trying to neutralize it, even if only for political reasons? I'm confused.

And Franken was seated until 2020. Now the Dems have yet another seat to defend next year (and then again in 2020), one which Franken took months of delay to win originally. You think they're happily just going to turn over a stone to find a candidate as popular and capable as Franken? I'd say the GOP are planning to give MN a serious go, especially having done very well in WI in recent times. Doesn't mean they'll win, but it will at the very least take resources away from some of the seats Dems are defending in red states.

As for Moore, there was nothing stopping the GOP getting together and doing a serious write-in campaign. Some of them even wavered and encouraged this. But once Trump got involved, it was Moore all the way, with a few noble exceptions like the senior Senator from Alabama. So spare us the whinging about motives, especially given the climate under which this is taking place.

But rather than your whining about playing politics and plan B's, why don't YOU tell us what SHOULD be happening here?

Who's whining?

I am quite enjoying seeing the liberals lose their mind at the prospect of Roy Moore in the Senate. 

All the time they cried wolf about Republicans over the past few years is blowing up spectacularly in their faces.

Mitt Romney was a woman hater of the highest order because he had folders full of females  resumes and allowed his female employees flexible schedules if they wanted to leave early to have dinner with their families

And as for that John Kasich, "housewives" came out of their kitchens to help him get elected, so fvck him too

At the end of the day the Republican Party is fvcked.....maybe Trumps only (and parting gift) will be 2 or 3 Supreme Court Justices. He needs Roy Moore to accomplish that goal

J70

Quote from: whitey on December 11, 2017, 06:49:41 PM

Time for plan b

Who's whining?

I am quite enjoying seeing the liberals lose their mind at the prospect of Roy Moore in the Senate. 

All the time they cried wolf about Republicans over the past few years is blowing up spectacularly in their faces.

Mitt Romney was a woman hater of the highest order because he had folders full of resumes and allowed his female employers flexible schedules if they wanted to leave early to have dinner with their families

And as for that John Kasich, "housewives" came out of their kitchens to help him get elected, so fvck him too

At the end of the day the Republican Party is fvcked.....maybe Trumps only (and parting gift) will be 2 or 3 Supreme Court Justices. He needs Roy Moore to accomplish that goal

You're questioning the motives of the Democrats on this issue, ignoring the vast cultural groundswell under which this is all taking place. If the Dems kept Franken and Conyers on, you'd be screaming hypocrisy. After them giving them the boot, you're basically doing the same. Fine.

But you're refusing to address my point that if this is all purely political or opportunistic (or even partially), then what is stopping the GOP doing the same? You're refusing to tell us what the GOP, whom you generally support, SHOULD be doing.

You are the one who should be losing your mind over Moore. The man is a disgrace to conservatism. Don't give too much of a f**k about Moore per se myself (its a very safe GOP seat), except that it depresses me a little to see how far off the deep end the GOP is going and has been going for years. Not that I've got common cause with them on most issues, but they have a lot of power over me and my family and the country and environment in which I live. Where is the bottom?

whitey

Quote from: J70 on December 11, 2017, 07:01:08 PM

Time for plan b

Who's whining?

Mitt Romney was a woman hater of the highest order because he had folders full of resumes and allowed his female employers flexible schedules if they wanted to leave early to have dinner with their families

You're questioning the motives of the Democrats on this issue, ignoring the vast cultural groundswell under which this is all taking place. If the Dems kept Franken and Conyers on, you'd be screaming hypocrisy. After them giving them the boot, you're basically doing the same. Fine.

But you're refusing to address my point that if this is all purely political or opportunistic (or even partially), then what is stopping the GOP doing the same? You're refusing to tell us what the GOP, whom you generally support, SHOULD be doing.

You are the one who should be losing your mind over Moore. The man is a disgrace to conservatism. Don't give too much of a f**k about Moore per se myself (its a very safe GOP seat), except that it depresses me a little to see how far off the deep end the GOP is going and has been going for years. Not that I've got common cause with them on most issues, but they have a lot of power over me and my family and the country and environment in which I live. Where is the bottom?

63000000 people voted for Trump in spite of the Access Hollywood tape and in spite of other known allegations.  As far as I'm concerned that has already been litigated in the court of public opinion.  unless some new bombshell emerges it's a done deal as far as Im concerned.

As it pertains to Moore, they should have figured out a way to throw him off the ballot. He's extremely unpopular in Alabama. If he gets elected they should throw him out

J70

Quote from: whitey on December 11, 2017, 08:14:37 PM
Quote from: J70 on December 11, 2017, 07:01:08 PM

Time for plan b

Who's whining?

63000000 people voted for Trump in spite of the Access Hollywood tape and in spite of other known allegations.  As far as I'm concerned that has already been litigated in the court of public opinion.  unless some new bombshell emerges it's a done deal as far as Im concerned.

As it pertains to Moore, they should have figured out a way to throw him off the ballot. He's extremely unpopular in Alabama. If he gets elected they should throw him out

On Trump specifically, nothing is going to come of this, at least until the next campaign, even if new allegations come out. He is lucky that all this the Weinstein-instigated backlash didn't happen last year, although in fairness, the allegations against him and his defiant hypocrisy probably laid at least some of the groundwork for Weinstein et al.'s downfall. This reckoning would have happened eventually no matter what, but Trump may have sped it up, even if it was Weinstein that opened the floodgates.

whitey

What would have happened if Hillary won ?

Would people be calling for Bill to be removed from the White House?

J70

Quote from: whitey on December 11, 2017, 08:43:36 PM

Who knows?

Had the blowback been as severe as it has all around, quite possibly.

I know some on the right are consoling themselves with that particular what-might-have-been. And the right wing in general would have been beating the drum intensely to see his removal, including congressional investigations.

But we are where we are. You can only react to the circumstances you're in.

whitey

Quote from: J70 on December 11, 2017, 09:04:16 PM

Who knows?

Had the blowback been as severe as it has all around, quite possibly.

I know some on the right are consoling themselves with that particular what-might-have-been. And the right wing in general would have been beating the drum intensely to see his removal, including congressional investigations.

But we are where we are. You can only react to the circumstances you're in.

That's why you elect good people

No one is perfect, but the 2 cvnts who were on the ballot last year were a thundering disgrace.

Hopefully going forward anyone with any kind of baggage gets jettisoned....and I'm not talking about binders full of women

heganboy

Think you have a fair point there whitey. I think given the ramifications of public opinion since Weinstein, a traditional politician like Hillary would have been under severe pressure regarding her behavior around the time of her husband's case. Would have caused a huge backlash, and had she been president, may well have been enough to prevent reelection.
There has been a lot of public retraction of support and people who were supportive of President Clinton who look back now And realize the error of their ways. (and his)

Teflon Don however, nothing sticks...
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity