Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jayop

It's more likely he'd start Morgan at full forward.

tyrone08

Quote from: Redhand Santa on August 15, 2018, 09:46:25 AM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on August 15, 2018, 09:39:06 AM
Dublin's biggest weakness (yes...i know) is a weakness under a high ball onto their full back line - would there be a chance that Tyrone throw Colm Cavanagh up there for periods of the final? It's a potential way through - you lose what he does anchoring the defence but against Dublin in the Super 8 game he was largely rendered irrelevant as Dublin wouldn't actually go through the middle, instead slip down the sides, i.e. Rock pretty much playing out at the corner of goalline/end line.

Would Harte give this a go? I think it's a no go, but a big man in front of Cluxton tends to get him to do strange things like the Comer goal last Saturday - maybe a pity Tyrone don't have a 'big' natural forward.

If he wasn't in there holding the middle they'd probably go straight through it. Though maybe anyone in there would be enough to make them avoid it. Either way Colm Cavanagh is such a key part of the defensive set up I don't think he could risk moving him at this stage. We have seen less ball kicked in there as the season has went on and R Donnelly role as ball winner has become less effective. I think I'd start McAliskey and Harte up front with Bradley playing of them. Lee Brennan to come on with 20 minutes to go.

I was thinking this the other day. For certain periods of the game, say 7 min spells I would def put Colm in the full forward line. Start McAliskey and Bradley up front, bring Colm up for periods and pump quality high ball in. With Colm and McAliskey hopefully winning the ball a quick player like Bradley would be through on goal. Cooper and Phily are prone to fouling players but seem to get away with it. This would cause them a nightmare.

Bring brennan on for the 2nd half. I dont think hes fit enough due to a lack of game time this year to start.

The only other radical surprise would be to bring back Sean Cav and put him in full forward. Doubt this would happen though due to the comments he has made but remember in 08 mickey brought back Stephen O'Neill just for the final that year.

Norf Tyrone

Dublin's biggest weakness (yes...i know) is a weakness under a high ball onto their full back line - would there be a chance that Tyrone throw Colm Cavanagh up there for periods of the final? It's a potential way through - you lose what he does anchoring the defence but against Dublin in the Super 8 game he was largely rendered irrelevant as Dublin wouldn't actually go through the middle, instead slip down the sides, i.e. Rock pretty much playing out at the corner of goalline/end line.

Would Harte give this a go? I think it's a no go, but a big man in front of Cluxton tends to get him to do strange things like the Comer goal last Saturday - maybe a pity Tyrone don't have a 'big' natural forward.

I thought the same. Would Moy's Harry Loughran be an option for that role?
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

square_ball

Quote from: tyrone08 on August 15, 2018, 10:47:42 AM

If he wasn't in there holding the middle they'd probably go straight through it. Though maybe anyone in there would be enough to make them avoid it. Either way Colm Cavanagh is such a key part of the defensive set up I don't think he could risk moving him at this stage. We have seen less ball kicked in there as the season has went on and R Donnelly role as ball winner has become less effective. I think I'd start McAliskey and Harte up front with Bradley playing of them. Lee Brennan to come on with 20 minutes to go.

I was thinking this the other day. For certain periods of the game, say 7 min spells I would def put Colm in the full forward line. Start McAliskey and Bradley up front, bring Colm up for periods and pump quality high ball in. With Colm and McAliskey hopefully winning the ball a quick player like Bradley would be through on goal. Cooper and Phily are prone to fouling players but seem to get away with it. This would cause them a nightmare.

Bring brennan on for the 2nd half. I dont think hes fit enough due to a lack of game time this year to start.

The only other radical surprise would be to bring back Sean Cav and put him in full forward. Doubt this would happen though due to the comments he has made but remember in 08 mickey brought back Stephen O'Neill just for the final that year.

I like your thinking outside the box but I'd say there's more chance of Peter Canavan coming back for the final than Sean Cavanagh.

BennyHarp

Quote from: square_ball on August 15, 2018, 11:13:08 AM

I like your thinking outside the box but I'd say there's more chance of Peter Canavan coming back for the final than Sean Cavanagh.

Maybe Stevie O'Neill again?
That was never a square ball!!

sensethetone

Quote from: BennyHarp on August 15, 2018, 01:23:10 PM

Stevie would have to be named on the match day panel? he couldn't just be send on.

RedHand88

Quote from: BennyHarp on August 15, 2018, 01:23:10 PM

Throw on him and Horse for the last 10 minutes to see it through.

shawshank

How can someone be so stupid to actually think that and then commit it to a forum for the world to see  :o :o :o

clarshack

nah, stick Plunkett Donaghy in full forward. he did a fine job there in 1994.

Localexpert

Can anyone see us getting within 5/6 points? I hope I'm wrong but I think we have no chance....

An Watcher

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/jim-mcguinness-monaghan-abandoned-game-plan-and-saw-a-chance-slip-away-1.3595085?mode=amp

Struggling to see how tyrone can get close but was reading Jim McGuinness in the Irish Times today who thinks tyrone can go close.  Fingers crossed!!

Jayop

Some people will try to build a case for us to be in with a chance, most will say we'll get whipped. The reality is they haven't a clue.

I personally don't think there will be a huge amount in it. We were beat by 12 last year and Dublin were worth a big win because we were just awful. I simply refuse to believe Tyrone will be that bad again and even that 12 point win should have been 9 had Harte scored the pen. Only a goal that was just as lucky as the goal we scored against Monaghan split the teams this year in Omagh. People will say Dublin didn't get out of 3rd gear for that game, but I don't know about that, that's just how Dublin play the game all the time.

Last year we had played 4 games before meeting Dublin and walked everyone of them. We weren't battle hardened like you need to be, like Mayo were last year by the final. In the 4 games last year here's our top scorers, a lot has changed in 12 months.

Sean Cavanagh.....0-14 (0-11 frees)
Peter Harte........... .1-8 (1-0 pen, 0-2 frees, 0-1'45')
David Mulgrew.....2-4

tyrone08

Quote from: shawshank on August 15, 2018, 02:24:29 PM

How can someone be so stupid to actually think that and then commit it to a forum for the world to see  :o :o :o

That was a bit harsh lol. I said it was radical. I do think they are going to have to try something completely new to suprise the dubs. Seems the dubs have the measure of us so a curve ball wouldn't hurt their chances.

RedHand88

Quote from: tyrone08 on August 15, 2018, 06:15:35 PM
Quote from: shawshank on August 15, 2018, 02:24:29 PM

That was a bit harsh lol. I said it was radical. I do think they are going to have to try something completely new to suprise the dubs. Seems the dubs have the measure of us so a curve ball wouldn't hurt their chances.

Put out the 95 team. That would shock them!

Jim Bob

Meyler saying he ll be fit for the final.