The OFFICIAL Liverpool FC thread - Arne to Slot right in?

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, February 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

onefaircounty

Quote from: Bensars on May 10, 2012, 12:13:11 PM
Quote from: laoislad on May 09, 2012, 09:16:56 PM
Quote from: nrico2006 on May 09, 2012, 11:15:11 AM
Dalglish is really deluded, he reckons that this season wasn't a bad first season back and that he is satisfied with how things went.

Won first trophy in 6 years.
Got to two Cup Finals.
Qualified for Europe.

Certainly not a bad first season at all IMO.
Everyone will say Newcastle United had a great season and they could end up with only the Europa League to show for it and no winners medals.

Even the most ardent Liverpool fans have been saying time for Dalglish to go.

I must have misheard those Dalglish chants the other night, and you don't get much more ardent than midweek games at Anfield, eg Scouser central.

It was a poor season, not average, not disastorous. Poor.

But, has modern football really dictated that we sack a manager after a poor season now rather than a dreadful one.

There's no denying that citing penalties and woodwork is papering overf the cracks, but the sheer volume on both counts shows how much different it could have been. It was abnormal, I think everyone can admit that, and whether it was bad finishing or bad luck, Liverpool will probably never see another season like it.

I think, being reasonable, Kenny should be given the summer to try and right a few wrongs. He should be trusted to take the team in to next season and, hey, if it doesn't work then, I doubt anyone would defend him against quietly being moved upstairs.

I actually don't think we need a raft of transfers, to be honest. Carroll and Henderson are almost guaranteed to have better years next year, especially Carroll. He has been very good with confidence, that will follow into next season I suspect. Downing looks like he hasn't the mentality and Adam is a minor squad player for me. The return of Lucas is crucial, people don't seem to realise how much so. Not only is he brilliant at his role, but it  allows those around him to perform theirs with a safety net in place.

With Kuyt and Maxi going, Downing faltering and Sterling much too young - we need two good wingers. Back up to Enrique is another issue. And a striker is needed too. Those four signings would be enough for me, provided Henderson does, in fact, improve.

Champions League was the aim this year, and they failed. The pressure is rightly on them, but I don't think any drastic measure is needed just yet.

Keep the pass and move philosphy. Keep Agger and Skertel in the centre, play to Carroll's strenghts, get Lucas back and keep Gerrard behind the striker or out on the right and we'll move on up.

When Hicks and Gillett left we all knew it would take a few years to come out of the slumber, we are making marginal progress, a bit too slow, but we are - no need to panic.

Hound

Its actually ardent Liverpool haters that are crying for Dalglish to be sacked.

The majority of supporters are willing to give him more time, despite the poor league season.

Bensars

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on May 05, 2012, 07:32:13 PM
Same old same old. Showed up too late. Kenny has to step aside now.

Fair f**ks Chelsea - happy for Di Matteo

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on May 05, 2012, 07:36:08 PM
Hopefully the second last time we see him in it as manager

The creator in chief of this thread himself !

Why should dalglish be  moved upstairs quietly ?  Its almost as if hes the embarrassing old drunk uncle at a family do !  But this reverence to him is masking the reality of how he is performing. Can you imagine the abuse poor old Roy Hodgson would have got for that level of performance or management.  If you say its not the same then its being hypocritical and you are not  viewing it objectively or applying the same criteria as you may have done previously.

It can be spun each way and every way but  for anyone to say Liverpool had a successful season, or anything other than poor, needs their head read.

Minus15

Quote from: onefaircounty on May 10, 2012, 12:24:36 PM
Quote from: Bensars on May 10, 2012, 12:13:11 PM
Dalglish is really deluded, he reckons that this season wasn't a bad first season back and that he is satisfied with how things went.

Got to two Cup Finals.
Qualified for Europe.

Everyone will say Newcastle United had a great season and they could end up with only the Europa League to show for it and no winners medals.

Even the most ardent Liverpool fans have been saying time for Dalglish to go.

I must have misheard those Dalglish chants the other night, and you don't get much more ardent than midweek games at Anfield, eg Scouser central.

It was a poor season, not average, not disastorous. Poor.

But, has modern football really dictated that we sack a manager after a poor season now rather than a dreadful one.

There's no denying that citing penalties and woodwork is papering overf the cracks, but the sheer volume on both counts shows how much different it could have been. It was abnormal, I think everyone can admit that, and whether it was bad finishing or bad luck, Liverpool will probably never see another season like it.

I think, being reasonable, Kenny should be given the summer to try and right a few wrongs. He should be trusted to take the team in to next season and, hey, if it doesn't work then, I doubt anyone would defend him against quietly being moved upstairs.

I actually don't think we need a raft of transfers, to be honest. Carroll and Henderson are almost guaranteed to have better years next year, especially Carroll. He has been very good with confidence, that will follow into next season I suspect. Downing looks like he hasn't the mentality and Adam is a minor squad player for me. The return of Lucas is crucial, people don't seem to realise how much so. Not only is he brilliant at his role, but it  allows those around him to perform theirs with a safety net in place.

With Kuyt and Maxi going, Downing faltering and Sterling much too young - we need two good wingers. Back up to Enrique is another issue. And a striker is needed too. Those four signings would be enough for me, provided Henderson does, in fact, improve.

Champions League was the aim this year, and they failed. The pressure is rightly on them, but I don't think any drastic measure is needed just yet.

Keep the pass and move philosphy. Keep Agger and Skertel in the centre, play to Carroll's strenghts, get Lucas back and keep Gerrard behind the striker or out on the right and we'll move on up.

When Hicks and Gillett left we all knew it would take a few years to come out of the slumber, we are making marginal progress, a bit too slow, but we are - no need to panic.

Good summing up there and spot on in with a lot things.

This season has been disappointing and improvements are definitely needed. The next few months will be interesting and we will most likely just have to wait and see what happens on the managerial front. If the owners decide to go with Dalglish and give him the money to improve the team, as long as he learns from some of the mistakes made this season, then that's good enough for most.

EC Unique

laoislad

Quote from: Bensars on May 10, 2012, 01:08:45 PM
Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on May 05, 2012, 07:32:13 PM
Same old same old. Showed up too late. Kenny has to step aside now.

Fair f**ks Chelsea - happy for Di Matteo

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on May 05, 2012, 07:36:08 PM
Hopefully the second last time we see him in it as manager

The creator in chief of this thread himself !

Why should dalglish be  moved upstairs quietly ?  Its almost as if hes the embarrassing old drunk uncle at a family do !  But this reverence to him is masking the reality of how he is performing. Can you imagine the abuse poor old Roy Hodgson would have got for that level of performance or management.  If you say its not the same then its being hypocritical and you are not  viewing it objectively or applying the same criteria as you may have done previously.

It can be spun each way and every way but  for anyone to say Liverpool had a successful season, or anything other than poor, needs their head read.
Who said it has been a successful season?
All anyone will remember is who won what at the end of any season.
Liverpool won a trophy were unlucky not to win another and are back in Europe.
Newcastle, Spurs and Arsenal will end the season with no medals and its possible two of the three will also only be in Europa League next year even if they finish 4th.
So who has had the better season then? The team that won something and qualified for Europe or the club that won nothing and qualified for the same European competition.

I don't think anyone thinks it was a great season it just wasn't an all out bad one IMO.
I dunno maybe I'm just easily pleased :)
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

el_cuervo_fc

It hasn't been a successful season but the style of play under Kenny is a lot more pleasing on the eye.

I'm a fan of both Henderson and Shelvey and think they will be big players for Liverpool in the future. Carroll is developing nicely as well. These lads are all young and have plenty of football ahead of them.

The whole attitude throughout the club is different now with the change in ownership. It's no longer the "look what you are doing to our club" outcry. Everyone is pulling in the same direction at least. I don't think we'll win the league next year, that's for sure but I definitely think we'll be competing for a top 4 finish.

We'll win the league the following year. It's all part of Kenny's 3 and a bit year plan

NAG1

Dont think you will get any other supporters of other clubs calling for Kenny's head. The way he handled the press all year and the results should be enough for his own supporters, but understandably they will stand by a hero of theirs.

johnneycool

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on May 10, 2012, 10:31:22 AM

Got to two Cup Finals.
Qualified for Europe.

But don't you know that unless you qualify for the CL then everything else is worthless?In 20 years time the records will obviously show that Arsenal have qualified for the CL and Liverpool didn't but it won't show that Liverpool won a Cup, never ::)

The only records of importance now are the bank records and a good run in the CL is what its all about now

AZOffaly

Do you mean the way he handled Sky all year? He was grand out when talking to BBC, the Papers, etc. I'm of a view similar to the others here, and have been most of the last part of the season.

Nice to win a cup, nice to qualify for the FA Cup final, but League form not good enough.

Should Kenny be given a chance to move on another step? Yes
Are we in a better place than we were before he took over? Yes
Do I think he can improve the team further? Yes.

Was this season good enough? No

But unless Mourinho or Guardiola or someone like that wants to come in and manage Liverpool, I think Kenny is still the man for the job.

NAG1

I watched him on Sky and watched him with the BBC and anyone else who was interviewing him, not only around the Saurez situation but after games, he was a bit of a laughing stock, just my opinion but also opinion shared but football commentators and ex players etc.

As I said earlier if liverpool fans are happy with that then thats up to them its their club at the end of the day am just looking in from the outside.

supersarsfields

But sure Ferguson can act like a laughing stock at times as well when it comes to interviews. As well as being childish beyond belief.

And we know he's not a bad manager.

Give Kenny another rattle. As Az says there won't be too many winning managers stepping up to take over, so why not give him a chance to settle things down.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: supersarsfields on May 10, 2012, 04:37:08 PM
But sure Ferguson can act like a laughing stock at times as well when it comes to interviews. As well as being childish beyond belief.

And we know he's not a bad manager.

Give Kenny another rattle. As Az says there won't be too many winning managers stepping up to take over, so why not give him a chance to settle things down.
exactly,
like he said, unless Mourinho or Guardiola or someone of that calibre are looking the job,which i doubt,  i dont see much point in chaning for the sake of it.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Denn Forever

Just wondering. 

Things seemed go tits up after the Suarez saga but was it also after Gerard became avaiable?  Seemed to be going well at the start of the season without Gerard. Is this being too simplistic?
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Denn Forever on May 10, 2012, 04:52:21 PM
Just wondering. 

Things seemed go tits up after the Suarez saga but was it also after Gerard became avaiable?  Seemed to be going well at the start of the season without Gerard. Is this being too simplistic?
i probably wouldh ave said things went tits up when they lost lucas
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either