The OFFICIAL Liverpool FC thread - Arne to Slot right in?

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, February 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Bingo on May 09, 2012, 02:08:02 PM
Gotta love the papers match ratings:

Daily Star today - 3 Liverpool players got a 7/10 - Reina, Agger and Maxi. The rest got 6's including Carroll.

Chelsea - 4 players for 7/10, 2 got 8/10 (Terry one of them) and Ramires got 9. The rest of 6's.

Which team won 4-1?  :o
did they just put the FA cup ratings back in again???
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Evil Genius

Quote from: nrico2006 on May 09, 2012, 11:15:11 AM
Dalglish is really deluded, he reckons that this season wasn't a bad first season back and that he is satisfied with how things went.
When it is necessary for a new manager to make wholesale changes at a club (players, backroom, methods, processes, facilities, ethos etc), the effect of these changes is rarely seen straightaway.

As a neutral observer, I agree that for much of this season, Liverpool have been very poor. However, when they have occasionally had their first XI fit, on-form and motivated for certain big games, they've showed promise. I guess Dalglish feels that this promise can be built upon - time will tell whether he's correct or not - but in any case, if it took many seasons of decline for Liverpool to reach their parlous state when he took over, it is unrealistic (imo) to expect that decline to be reversed over the course of a single season.

I personally feel Dalglish deserves more time; after all, when Ferguson took over at MU, he was a successful young manager, approaching his prime, and inheriting a hardly-entirely-useless team (Robson, Whiteside, McGrath etc). Yet people forget that it still took him six full seasons before he won his first League title. 
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Cold tea

Quote from: Bingo on May 09, 2012, 02:08:02 PM
Gotta love the papers match ratings:

Daily Star today - 3 Liverpool players got a 7/10 - Reina, Agger and Maxi. The rest got 6's including Carroll.

Chelsea - 4 players for 7/10, 2 got 8/10 (Terry one of them) and Ramires got 9. The rest of 6's.

Which team won 4-1?  :o

Were the breasts nice in the Daily Star today!

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Evil Genius on May 09, 2012, 02:12:55 PM
Dalglish is really deluded, he reckons that this season wasn't a bad first season back and that he is satisfied with how things went.
When it is necessary for a new manager to make wholesale changes at a club (players, backroom, methods, processes, facilities, ethos etc), the effect of these changes is rarely seen straightaway.

As a neutral observer, I agree that for much of this season, Liverpool have been very poor. However, when they have occasionally had their first XI fit, on-form and motivated for certain big games, they've showed promise. I guess Dalglish feels that this promise can be built upon - time will tell whether he's correct or not - but in any case, if it took many seasons of decline for Liverpool to reach their parlous state when he took over, it is unrealistic (imo) to expect that decline to be reversed over the course of a single season.

I personally feel Dalglish deserves more time; after all, when Ferguson took over at MU, he was a successful young manager, approaching his prime, and inheriting a hardly-entirely-useless team (Robson, Whiteside, McGrath etc). Yet people forget that it still took him six full seasons before he won his first League title.

Yeuch...I feel unclean, I agree with every word written by EG :P

Bingo

On Saturday, I'd have disagreed and had doubts that KD is intouch enough to lead a team over a season. Just couldn't believe he got it so wrong in such a big game, when everything pointed towards a different starting XI and formation.

Since then, I don't think we have anything to benefit from such a big change. At times he has got alot from the players in terms of performances without getting the reward. Maybe that niave and you get what you deserve. But there is a team in their somewhere and KD deserves a chance to get it out. It is largely his own squad now after 18months with them by time season starts.

I think he needs to buy 3 first team players and buy them to suit AC and Suarez up front. Get Lucas back and move from there.

CL is the goal next year, plain and simple and that would be progress.

Bingo

I see Neil Mellor has announced his retirement from the game on medical advice. Shame for him, always seemed to struggle for fitness with injuries, knew how to score a goal in the box but don't think he would have made it at higher levels.

Always be remember for the winner V Arsenal and his part in the Olympicakos (sp) game.

Billys Boots

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on May 09, 2012, 02:55:29 PM

Yeuch...I feel unclean, I agree with every word written by EG :P

Me too.  After all, the Barcelona 'project' could only now be considered as truly coming to fruition nearly 40 years after it was initiated by Johan Cruyff. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

stew

Quote from: heganboy on May 09, 2012, 12:49:43 PM
liverpool managed to miss 7 penalties this season, and managed to hit the woodwork (yet not score) 46 times, actual league goals 47.
home wins: 6  only teams with less than 6 wolves bolton wigan and villa.
kind of tells the story of the league season...

Aagghh, if only those seven penos went in and if those 46 shots that hit the post/bar went in we would have shown everybody the real Liverpool............................. wait a moment, other teams hit the woodwork and missed penalties.........................never mind then!

Liverpool do not have the squad to win the title, the Carling cup is about the best they can do, maybe, maybe they could win the FA cup but nobody gives a shite about that anymore, fergie seen to that.

Liverpool, United and chelski will all take a back seat to City over the next decade.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Minus15

Sad news for Neil Mellor. Wish him all the best. What age would he have been? 26 or 27?

ziggy90

Quote from: stew on May 09, 2012, 04:41:18 PM
liverpool managed to miss 7 penalties this season, and managed to hit the woodwork (yet not score) 46 times, actual league goals 47.

Aagghh, if only those seven penos went in and if those 46 shots that hit the post/bar went in we would have shown everybody the real Liverpool............................. wait a moment, other teams hit the woodwork and missed penalties.........................never mind then!

Liverpool do not have the squad to win the title, the Carling cup is about the best they can do, maybe, maybe they could win the FA cup but nobody gives a shite about that anymore, fergie seen to that.

Liverpool, United and chelski will all take a back seat to City over the next decade.

It all depends on the Yanks, Russkies, Chinese & Arabs.
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

stew

Quote from: ziggy90 on May 09, 2012, 06:39:52 PM

It all depends on the Yanks, Russkies, Chinese & Arabs.

True dat ziggy!
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

heganboy

or if they could manage to simply finish their chances and not play shite at Anfield maybe I wouldn't be so feckin disappointed again, for the 22nd year in a row, its getting old, and so am I...
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

dec

Quote from: heganboy on May 09, 2012, 08:05:14 PM

or if they could manage to simply finish their chances and not play shite at Anfield maybe I wouldn't be so feckin disappointed again, for the 22nd year in a row, its getting old, and so am I...

My first 17 seasons of Liverpool supporting covered 10 League championships (and 6 runners-up), 4 European Cups , 3 FA Cups, 4 League Cups, 1 UEFA Cup and various Super Cup/Charity Shields. The last 22 seasons, not so much.

laoislad

Won first trophy in 6 years.
Got to two Cup Finals.
Qualified for Europe.

Certainly not a bad first season at all IMO.
Everyone will say Newcastle United had a great season and they could end up with only the Europa League to show for it and no winners medals.

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: laoislad on May 09, 2012, 09:16:56 PM

Won first trophy in 6 years.
Got to two Cup Finals.
Qualified for Europe.

Certainly not a bad first season at all IMO.
Everyone will say Newcastle United had a great season and they could end up with only the Europa League to show for it and no winners medals.

But don't you know that unless you qualify for the CL then everything else is worthless?In 20 years time the records will obviously show that Arsenal have qualified for the CL and Liverpool didn't but it won't show that Liverpool won a Cup, never ::)