Mayo Football and Hurling - Discussion pages

Started by stephenite, November 09, 2006, 11:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barney

Abbeysider I agree that there is potential there and that on a given day somebody will hit a hot streak.

I think though the thing that we are really missing is a fella that you can be guaranteed will get a goal and a few points from play every day - an O'Neill, a Meehan, a Gooch or a Brogan for instance. Any team that goes on to win a senior AI generally has two forwards like that.

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: Barney on December 24, 2009, 09:37:19 AM
Abbeysider I agree that there is potential there and that on a given day somebody will hit a hot streak.

I think though the thing that we are really missing is a fella that you can be guaranteed will get a goal and a few points from play every day - an O'Neill, a Meehan, a Gooch or a Brogan for instance. Any team that goes on to win a senior AI generally has two forwards like that.

I take your point. We have no one that is that at the moment but there are lads with potential. I honestly think Cillian O'Connor is the guy who can be our consistent scoring forward. Consider that he is minor again next year. I'll be interested to see how the likes of Neil Douglas, Jason Doherty and Alan Freeman get on this year.

But I don't think its quite as simple as that. You have some counties who depend on players big time for big scores - Paddy Bradley and Derry, Matty Forde and Wexford. I'm thinking out loud and don't have the figures to hand but if you look at those players you named, I'm not sure many of them would average more than three points from play a game. I think its more about a rounded forward line with every single player able to take a chance when an opportunity presents itself. Thats what makes the Tyrones and Kerrys as good as they are imho - the ability of half forwards like Dooher, Galvin, Declan O'Sullivan et al to contribute so much meaning they are not relying on Gooch, O'Neill etc.

Abbeysider of the 39 names I mentioned - good luck narrowing that panel down! - I make it that 22 are underage after 2010. I take your point re the minor lads. They shouldn't play. Dillon has been the only player to play UNder 21 while minor that I remember but he did so when the under 21 grade was played later in the year so he was a lot closer to being of age than Kirby or O'Connor would be next year.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

muppet

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on December 25, 2009, 12:18:44 AM

I take your point. We have no one that is that at the moment but there are lads with potential. I honestly think Cillian O'Connor is the guy who can be our consistent scoring forward. Consider that he is minor again next year. I'll be interested to see how the likes of Neil Douglas, Jason Doherty and Alan Freeman get on this year.

But I don't think its quite as simple as that. You have some counties who depend on players big time for big scores - Paddy Bradley and Derry, Matty Forde and Wexford. I'm thinking out loud and don't have the figures to hand but if you look at those players you named, I'm not sure many of them would average more than three points from play a game. I think its more about a rounded forward line with every single player able to take a chance when an opportunity presents itself. Thats what makes the Tyrones and Kerrys as good as they are imho - the ability of half forwards like Dooher, Galvin, Declan O'Sullivan et al to contribute so much meaning they are not relying on Gooch, O'Neill etc.

Abbeysider of the 39 names I mentioned - good luck narrowing that panel down! - I make it that 22 are underage after 2010. I take your point re the minor lads. They shouldn't play. Dillon has been the only player to play UNder 21 while minor that I remember but he did so when the under 21 grade was played later in the year so he was a lot closer to being of age than Kirby or O'Connor would be next year.

Barry Moran?
MWWSI 2017

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: muppet on December 25, 2009, 03:16:22 AM
Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on December 25, 2009, 12:18:44 AM

Barry Moran?

Good shout! I thought I was bad posting  after midnght but 3.16am Muppet?? WTF??!!

INDIANA

Quote from: moysider on December 09, 2009, 12:59:09 AM

James Burke needs to be repatriated if at all possible. Ardnaree have come a long way recently and James would be a huge boost to them, but with him working in Dublin its a long shot. Probably the best 7 available to us in Mayo. Especially if they persist in using Keith Higgins at 4.

Best wing back in Dublin by a mile last year. I was hoping he was a Dub. Had no idea he was from Mayo. Again underlines the problems we have in club football in Dublin. Easy good enough for county football.

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: INDIANA on December 26, 2009, 02:24:50 PM

James Burke needs to be repatriated if at all possible. Ardnaree have come a long way recently and James would be a huge boost to them, but with him working in Dublin its a long shot. Probably the best 7 available to us in Mayo. Especially if they persist in using Keith Higgins at 4.

Best wing back in Dublin by a mile last year. I was hoping he was a Dub. Had no idea he was from Mayo. Again underlines the problems we have in club football in Dublin. Easy good enough for county football.

That's interesting. From what I've heard Burke is definitely worth a shot. He had a bad experience in the All-Ireland Minor final v Down in 2005 when he was started in the corner after not being long back in the panel. I was away in 2008 but I believe he was very good for the Mayo Under 21s. What have we got to lose by giving him a shot?
FBD starting next Sunday in Dangan v NUIG I think (open to correction on this). Will be interesting to see what sort of players are given a go and what sort of experiments are tried. I'll be curious to see who the centre-half back is along with the two midfielders. Anyone making the trip? It will test all of my motivation to be honest!

Barney

I reckon it should be a Mayo venue this year? We should be at home to Sligo IT and guess will play Ros in Ballinlough?

This is a report from last year:

QuoteGAA: Students have all the answers for Mayo
By: Anthony Hennigan in Dangan

FBD Insurance Connacht SFL Section B - Round 1
NUI GALWAY 2-10 MAYO 1-8

MAYO started as they don't mean to continue, with the 2009 campaign of the senior football squad commencing in defeat to the University students of Galway, last Sunday.

Selecting some old, some young, some experienced and some a bit 'green', John O'Mahony's selection was much diluted from what would be his preferred first choice XV for league or championship fare, however, the run-out afforded the manager an opportunity to view a variety of players, some for the first time, in a semi-competitive environment.

Full-forward Aidan O'Shea and full-back Kevin Keane, members of last year's minor team, Mikey Sweeney, at corner-forward, and sub Brian Gallagher, who both featured in Mayo's march to the All-Ireland U-21 semi-final, and stars of the club championship like Barry Kelly and Stephen Drake, playing at midfield and corner-back respectively, David Caffrey, Sean Prendergast and Jason Gibbons were among those given a chance to implant their abilities upon manage-ment's minds.

Each will have departed the Corribside grounds with differing opinions of how they fared but Castlebar's Padraig Healy, Ballina's Ger Cafferkey and Shrule/Glencorrib's Kieran Conroy, who lined out in the home side's colours, will have been satisfied at their hour's work. NUI Galway, better organised given the enforced November/December inactivity imposed upon inter-county teams, could not have wished for a more positive start; just 15 seconds had been played when Cathal McHugh ghosted in behind Stephen Drake to fetch the long delivery of Kieran Conroy (formerly of GMIT), and drive the ball low under the body of Mayo goalkeeper David Clarke.

Conroy, in particular, was an influential figure against his county team-mates throughout the first half, and was superbly complemented at midfield by Galway's Gareth Bradshaw.

Conroy was again the supplier for McHugh who kept the margin between the teams at three points (1-3 to 0-3) when pointing in the 22nd minute. In between, singles for Mayo by Austin O'Malley, Barry Kelly and Peadar Gardiner, who fisted over, were met with the response of a point each for NUIG's Conor Devaney and Cathal Kenny.

By that stage, the NUIG plans had already been disrupted by the dismissals, through new playing rules, of Greg Begley in the 9th minute, and his replacement, Denis Corroon, just four minutes later - not that the double yellow card blow deterred them much.

They stretched their lead to seven courtesy of a single apiece by Devaney and Bradshaw before a Mikey Sweeney goal for Mayo, five minutes before the change of ends, halted the home team's momentum somewhat. Aidan Kilcoyne fed centre-back Pat Kelly whose burst through the middle created an opening for Peadar Gardiner and though the wing-back was quickly gobbled up by defenders, the ball fell kindly for Sweeney who shot first time to the back of Liam Grant's net.

Mark Gottsche hadn't the same luck at the other end on the stroke of half-time, when his fisted attempt for a major trickled along David Clarke's goal-line, and so the gap between the sides remained four at the break, 2-4 to 1-3 in NUIG's favour.

Two frees converted by Aidan Kilcoyne for Mayo in the 2nd and 12th minutes of the new half were separated by three NUIG points, the first from the increasingly effective Gareth Bradshaw and the other two, from play and placed ball, by the equally excellent Conor Devaney.

Starved of quality possession, Aidan O'Shea was relieved of full-forward duties where he had been well watched by county colleague Ger Cafferkey, and instead was moved to centre-forward on 47 minutes. However, a booking apiece for Mayo's Peadar Gardiner and NUIG's Conor Leydon, neither hardly warranted, meant for a further shake up in personnel, and the game became increasingly disjointed for the remaining time. Gardiner's replacement, Charlestown's David Caffrey, lasted just 20 minutes before also unfortunate to see yellow during which time three Mayo points by Alan Dillon, Barry Kelly - a fisted goal attempt - and Austin O'Malley, a free, met by a John Connellan point in response, meant that just a goal divided the sides with seven minutes left to play. There was to be no grandstand fight-back by the Green and Red though, as a Bradshaw free and a second point by sub Connellan bolstered the NUIG advantage before time was called.

Colm Cafferkey, who started particularly brightly, Kevin Keane, Pat Kelly, Colm Boyle, Pat Harte, Alan Dillon and Austin O'Malley, in flashes, were among Mayo's more prominent performers. NUIG could look towards Ger Cafferkey, Padraig Healy, Sligo's Neil Ewing, Kieran Conroy, Galway's Gareth Bradshaw and Cathal Kenny, Roscommon duo Conor Devaney and Cathal McHugh, and half-time sub, Westmeath's John Connellan as being their chief architects of the victory.

SCORERS - NUIG: Conor Devaney 1-3 (0-1f), Cathal McHugh 1-1, Gareth Bradshaw 0-3 (1f), John Connellan 0-2, Cathal Kenny 0-1 (f).

Mayo: Mikey Sweeney 1-0, Barry Kelly, Austin O'Malley (1f) and Aidan Kilcoyne (2f) 0-2 each, Alan Dillon and Peadar Gardiner 0-1 each.

NUIG: Liam Grant; Padraig Healy (Castlebar), Ger Cafferkey (Ballina), Neil Ewing; Greg Begley, Conor Leydon, Peter Domican; Kieran Conroy (Shrule/ Glencorrib), Gareth Bradshaw; Shane Stenson, Mark Gottsche, Cathal Kenny; Conor Devaney, David O'Gara, Cathal McHugh. Subs: Denis Corroon (for Greg Begley 9 - booked), Tomás Crowe for (Corroon 13 - booked), John Connellan (for Stenson h/t), Leo McLoone (for Gottsche 40), Keith Kelly (for Leydon 42 - booked).

MAYO: David Clarke; Stephen Drake, Kevin Keane, Colm Cafferkey; Peadar Gardiner, Pat Kelly, Colm Boyle; Pat Harte, Barry Kelly; Aidan Kilcoyne, Alan Dillon, Billy Joe Padden; Mikey Sweeney, Aidan O'Shea, Austin O'Malley. Subs: Sean Prendergast (for Keane 37), David Caffrey (for Gardiner 38 - booked), Brian Gallagher (for Kilcoyne 52), Jason Gibbons (for Padden 53), Andy Moran (for Caffrey 58 - booked).

Referee: Declan Hunt (Roscommon).

RedandGreenSniper

Good stuff. Garrymore is altogether more manageable although I wouldn't like to drive there if its as icy as it is now.

Think I'll go for a look anyway.

moysider

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on January 03, 2010, 01:57:41 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on December 26, 2009, 02:24:50 PM

That's interesting. From what I've heard Burke is definitely worth a shot. He had a bad experience in the All-Ireland Minor final v Down in 2005 when he was started in the corner after not being long back in the panel. I was away in 2008 but I believe he was very good for the Mayo Under 21s. What have we got to lose by giving him a shot?
FBD starting next Sunday in Dangan v NUIG I think (open to correction on this). Will be interesting to see what sort of players are given a go and what sort of experiments are tried. I'll be curious to see who the centre-half back is along with the two midfielders. Anyone making the trip? It will test all of my motivation to be honest!

His selection as a corner back was one of those mad moments in Mayo football that occur all too frequently. The lad had never been a corner back in his life and never will. His selection there says more about that management than it does the player. In fact it is difficult to imagine a defender less suited to playing corner back. I ve no doubt though that the current senior management, in its wisdom, might repeat that error.

Foreverhopeful

He might be more used to it now seen as he playing regularly in the backs for ballymun. Played a lot of underage at midfield and half forward. Great competition for no. 7 jersey with moran, nally, higgins, gardiner, mcloughlin

ballinaman

FBD Panel Announced

David Clarke (Ballina)
Robert Hennelly (Breaffy)
Liam O'Malley (Burrishoole)
Keith Higgins (Ballyhaunis)
Donal Vaughan (Ballinrobe)
Peadar Gardiner (Crossmolina)
Trevor Howley (Knockmore)
Chris Barrett (Belmullet)
Andy Moran (Ballagh)
Alan Feeney (Castlebar)
Shane Nally (Garrymore)
Lee Keegan (Westport)
Kevin Keane (Westport)
Ronan McGarrity (Ballina)
Tom Parsons (Charlestown)
Barry Kelly (Ballagh)
Pat Harte (Ballina)
Trevor Mortimor (Shrule)
Mark Ronaldson (Shrule)
Mikey Sweeney (Kiltane)
Aidan O'Shea (Breaffy)
Neil Douglas (Castlebar)
Barry Moran (Castlebar)
Jimmy Killeen (Garrymore)
Kevin Walsh (Shrule)

Defenders out number forwards there anyways....
It will be interesting to see how the lads in italics get on...

Not Included
Ger Caff - Broken wrist
Conor Mort/Alan Dillon - Travelling
Tom Cunniffe - Studying in Liverpool and recovering from groin op.
Kenneth O'Malley - Shoulder
Aidan Kilcoyne - collar bone
Jimmy Nallen/David Heaney - Not asked to tog for FBD.
Kevin McLoughlin - Playing with DIT
Seamus O'Shea - UL
Enda Varley - UL
Kieran Conroy - NUIG

James Burke must have been overlooked for the panel as he played with St Pats last year on his year down and therefore cannot play with St Pats again this year.

I thought there would be a few more few faces, not very optimistic about the coming season sadly....

Mayo4Sam

Hard to see where the improvement is going to come from to beat Kernans Galway this year.

f**k it January is depressing.
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Tubberman

QuoteHard to see where the improvement is going to come from to beat Kernans Galway this year.

f**k it January is depressing.

Unfortunately, I have to agree with you. I know the county isn't bursting at the seams with untried talent, but I thought for the FBD, we'd see a few more new faces than that!
B*llocks anyway, I get the feeling it could be another year of the same  :(
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

moysider

Quote from: Foreverhopeful on January 04, 2010, 11:35:41 PM
He might be more used to it now seen as he playing regularly in the backs for ballymun. Played a lot of underage at midfield and half forward. Great competition for no. 7 jersey with moran, nally, higgins, gardiner, mcloughlin

No. He s a 7. Anyway its academic seeing as he is overlooked for the FBD panel but only Keith Higgins could be rated above him as a left half back. Heard he played really well in a trial before Christmas too.

Enda Varley is another who was reportedly playing really well in the trials but there s no sign of him either?