Mayo Football and Hurling - Discussion pages

Started by stephenite, November 09, 2006, 11:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moysider

Quote from: stephenite on October 15, 2009, 01:22:36 AM
Quote from: moysider on October 14, 2009, 10:48:28 PM
f**k it, I used to look forward to the under 21 championship. Used to make nearly all the games. Another avenue of enjoyment being taken away from me.

So another avenue of enjoyment has been taken away because of the manager that has been put on place?there's no reason why the U-21's won't be in the mix for major honours given the talent coming through at that level, even with a reasonably competent figure at the helm.

I think Dempsey should've been given the job but that he wasn't is no reason to write them off completely surely?

It s not just about Dempsey for me. Just think there s a very cosy group deciding things and while the figure at the helm might be competent he is showing no indication that he is better than that. O Connor, Harte and Kernan can hardly be described as competent.

stephenite

Quote from: moysider on October 15, 2009, 01:37:55 AM
f**k it, I used to look forward to the under 21 championship. Used to make nearly all the games. Another avenue of enjoyment being taken away from me.

So another avenue of enjoyment has been taken away because of the manager that has been put on place?there's no reason why the U-21's won't be in the mix for major honours given the talent coming through at that level, even with a reasonably competent figure at the helm.

It s not just about Dempsey for me. Just think there s a very cosy group deciding things and while the figure at the helm might be competent he is showing no indication that he is better than that. O Connor, Harte and Kernan can hardly be described as competent.

I think Dempsey should've been given the job but that he wasn't is no reason to write them off completely surely?

There's no indication that he's not either in fairness, O'Connor was a selector under Padi when things went pear shaped

Farrandeelin

The reason why I said how there must be a lack of county standard players in the 22-30 age group is that Johnno will be gone after 2011, unless he is hoping for a total dictatorship, what good is him pulling the strings of u-21 management going to be? Unless the U-21s burst a gut to make the cut at senior for O'Mahony's tenure.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Davitt Man

In Tyrone Harte was given the u-21 role with the same bunch of players he had at minor and then he took over at senior as well so Harte was over 18\19 of the current panel since minor days.

moysider

Quote from: stephenite on October 15, 2009, 04:17:48 AM

There's no indication that he's not either in fairness, O'Connor was a selector under Padi when things went pear shaped

I was thinking more of Johnno who will be de facto manager of the U21s if the situation we re hearing about comes to pass.

spectator

Quote from: moysider on October 14, 2009, 10:38:34 PMI d be expecting more Campbell/ Kilcullen casualties as he uses his bludgeoning man- management style.

Quote from: Farrandeelin on October 15, 2009, 09:03:26 AM
The reason why I said how there must be a lack of county standard players in the 22-30 age group is that Johnno will be gone after 2011, unless he is hoping for a total dictatorship, what good is him pulling the strings of u-21 management going to be?

Ye don't rate Johnno's man-management skills, or think that he's giving everyone a fair crack of the whip, lads ???

moysider

Quote from: spectator on October 15, 2009, 05:41:37 PM
Quote from: moysider on October 14, 2009, 10:38:34 PMI d be expecting more Campbell/ Kilcullen casualties as he uses his bludgeoning man- management style.

Quote from: Farrandeelin on October 15, 2009, 09:03:26 AM
The reason why I said how there must be a lack of county standard players in the 22-30 age group is that Johnno will be gone after 2011, unless he is hoping for a total dictatorship, what good is him pulling the strings of u-21 management going to be?

Ye don't rate Johnno's man-management skills, or think that he's giving everyone a fair crack of the whip, lads ???

Errr no, not exactly. Unless you think a medieval Pope a good template for intercounty management.

stephenite

Quote from: moysider on October 15, 2009, 05:11:12 PM
Quote from: stephenite on October 15, 2009, 04:17:48 AM

I was thinking more of Johnno who will be de facto manager of the U21s if the situation we re hearing about comes to pass.

Yeah. sorry just got that

macdanger2

Are ye going to spend the entire winter bitching about Johnno?

In fairness, all we hoped for this year was a Connacht title and a decent performance after that. We got a bit over half of that but the bottom line is that we don't have the players, particularly around the middle, to compete.

stephenite

Quote from: macdanger2 on October 16, 2009, 02:52:26 AM

In fairness, all we hoped for this year was a Connacht title and a decent performance after that. We got a bit over half of that but the bottom line is that we don't have the players, particularly around the middle, to compete.

Agreed

moysider

If we spend the winter bitching about Johnno it s because he has given us plenty to be bitching about. Your bottom line does nt stand scrutiny but your entitled to defend the man. We have the players. Johnno has more coming through last few years from top4 U21 teams than most managers can only dream about. How he deploys his resources is another thing. He has a division 1 squad which capitulated against an ordinary Meath team. His selection, tactics and the physical preparation of the team are all flawed. Damningly several players like Higgins, Conor Mort, Harte, Parsons and McGarrity have not reached their potential under his guidance. That s why we re not as competitive as we should be.

Farrandeelin

We didn't get the bit in bold this year though.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

IolarCoisCuain

It's not like Johnno is any stranger to bitching himself Mac. See where he was at it again last week?

http://www.mayonews.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=7866&Itemid=39

That sort of whining can go two ways. It can get the team to develop a chip-on-the-shoulder, us-against-the-world mentality, as perfected by Jack O'Connor. Or you can have them spending the winter feeling sorry for themselves about how everyone is against them. And that's not even mentioning them rotten oul' hoors on the GAA Board.

I don't think that sort of whining from a man who's meant to be leading by example does anybody any good, and I don't have a problem with spending the winter bitching about O'Mahony. I think he got off very lightly in terms of analysis of this year.

In the Championship, Mayo beat a putrid Roscommon and the worst Galway team of the past ten years. Meath met Mayo in Croker as a team who were waiting to be put out of their misery, only to grow as the game went on when they realised that Mayo were by no means as advertised and end up winning pulling up by the end.

Some of the line decisions were mind-boggling. If you think a man can't cut it and start someone else instead, what does bringing on the man who was dropped as a sub during the game do only show you were wrong in the first place and you're just hoping for the best? None of this stuff adds up.

I hate to say it, but Johnno has a fierce look of a man living on past glories right now. And I don't understand why the Mayo public is so accepting of this. Not least as they've been so eager to run men out of town on rails for less.  >:(

stephenite

Quote from: moysider on October 17, 2009, 03:01:33 PM
We have the players.

I don't think we have - we're light up front, need another Alan Dillon or two. We're short one dog of a midfielder (and Ronan McGarrity will continue to struggle until he has someone like DB beside him)

Whilst the Meath result was very disappointing, I don't see how anyone could make the claim that this team is capable of challenging either Tyrone or Kerry, even if we had Mickey Harte at the helm!

I also don't see the point in repeating past mistakes of running men out of town on rails until there is a credible replacement ready to step into the role.

Q for ICC and Moysider - who would you want to see taking over now?

Barney

This is the reason why we are never going to bridge that gap to the top.

Any reasonable and logical County Board would look at the candidates for the u21 job - see Ray Dempsey has worked wonders with the minors the past two years especially, move towards continuity and development and move him along.

Instead it is looking like they are considering appointing Gallagher. I wouldn't be so sure he will quit the senior set-up. I think this is a money issue with the County Board who never look at the bigger picture. Gallagher trains the Mayo team - so why not have him train both teams at the same time and reduce costs? The Co Board and JOM are more than happy to play ball with the GAA and honour the closed season in November and December. A forward thinking manager like Dempsey would want to get down to business straight away like they are doing in the top counties. In any event the players at u21 level should not be focused on for 3/4 months only. The players that want to make it should be part of development panels working on programmes on a constant basis. The funny thing is I don't think anybody on the senior panel rates Gallagher.

I have reservations about our senior team and the gutless performance against Meath has not met with the ire you would have expected locally because I think people believe now that no matter what they say there is a cosy group controlling the whole thing.

However the young players coming through are prospects and Ray Dempsey has gone for a definitive blue-print of big men which needs to be carried forward for reward to come. To ignore this project now will only mean another generation of failure. The correct appointment may not result in loads of silverware at u21 level but will result in the proper development of players and will pay-off.